Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Newbie researching my options
FAQ
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:11 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

Wolfbane
Unread post  Post subject: Newbie researching my options  |  Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:34 pm

PAP Mask: DreamWear Nasal cushion
PAP Machine: Resmed 10 Auto in cpap mode
Pressure Setting: 10 cm H2O

Hi everyone! If you don’t mind, I’ll take a seat on the couch here and learn by reading, “listening” to what is said. Just had my second sleep study done, in lab, waiting on the “official” results from my pulmonologist, but was told I would be hearing from the DME SOON. First test at Home showed lots of hypopneas, 42, and apneas,8. Very restless sleeper, never feel rested. Oh yeah, I have moderate asthma too, breathing at night is so difficult even with the drugs. I’m hoping that knowledge really is power and education will enable me to make good decisions for my life. When I get the results from my lab sleep study, I’ll be back posting, for now I’ll kick back and learn. And I do watch Jason’s videos, very informative!

kaoshavoc
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie researching my options  |  Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:51 pm

PAP Mask: Dreamwear
PAP Machine: ResMed airsense 10 autoset
Humidifier: Heated built in
Pressure Setting: 12

Welcome. I have been on my machine for free nights, I am pretty much right on par with you. 47 per hour, mild asthma, never sleep well.

So far after only three days, I can tell you, I feel better, I am still tired, but that feeling that you need to sleep, right now, no now, this very second, has dissipated. Now I am just feeling tired, but, getting better everyday.

The mask I chose was the dreamwear, and last night, I barely even noticed it after the first few minutes. But, to each their own on masks. I watched a ton of videos about masks before I made a choice.

When you do get your machine, I found the first night really felt like it took forever to get to sleep, like the whole time your kinda stressing, and I was feeling like the mask would leak or come off easy. But after 3 nights, I can say, my apprehension has waned, and as for breaking the seal? my mask has not broke the seal yet that I can see except when I pulled it off to readjust with my hands.

Nose it a bit sore during the day but for some reason, I really don't notice that with the mask on. In fact, by the third night, as soon as I put the mask on, I felt much more relaxed and fell asleep faster than I have in a long time, and woke up less. Seems I have having a very positive reaction to all this, but I went in very freaking excited as well, and frankly, technology is awesome to me, so I don't have any hang ups about being assisted by it in any way.

I truly hope that you have a smooth a ride as I have had so far, even though I am only three days in.

In the words of my friend when I asked him how he does things that seems impossible, and I quote, "It's easy if you don't think about it."

Wolfbane
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie researching my options  |  Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:53 pm

Thx for the reply! I got to try the dreamwear nasal mask during my test, I think it’s the best of the ones I’ve tried. I don’t do face masks, I mean, I REALLY don’t do them, even a dust mask has me uptight after 5 minutes. I think it’s cuz of my asthma, I can’t tolerate a face mask without freaking. I’ve been looking at the Dreamstation for a machine, I see you use the ResMed 10. Thoughts?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie researching my options  |  Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:06 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Welcome to the forum.
Don't feel badly about not liking full face masks...I don't either.
I went my first 6 years of cpap therapy not even owning one.
Then a couple of years ago I got interested in one and decided to try it just for grins. Ended up I could actually sleep with it if I had to...so it sits in the box and has for 2 years and the only time I used it was when I tried it for 2 or 3 nights to see if I could even sleep with it.
I kept it "just in case" but so far I have never had a situation come up where I couldn't use my nasal pillow mask successfully.
It's the Amara View...nothing on my nose...I don't like anything on my nose. :lol:

Wolfbane
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie researching my options  |  Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:52 pm

Thx Pugsy, I figured I couldn’t be the only one!

Wolfbane
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie researching my options  |  Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:39 pm

So the verdict is in, moderate sleep apnea. Supposed to be getting a call from a medical supplier to set up an appointment with them. so now I am getting serious about machines and options. all the PA would say is that he prescribed a Respironics machine. wait and see a little longer I guess since I forgot to write down the name of the place. These memory lags are no fun! Any advice on options to ask about? I'm good with tech, so tinkering with options is doable, and ok, maybe a little fun.

Doug was sleepy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie researching my options  |  Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:15 pm

Wolfbane wrote:
So the verdict is in, moderate sleep apnea. Supposed to be getting a call from a medical supplier to set up an appointment with them. so now I am getting serious about machines and options. all the PA would say is that he prescribed a Respironics machine. wait and see a little longer I guess since I forgot to write down the name of the place. These memory lags are no fun! Any advice on options to ask about? I'm good with tech, so tinkering with options is doable, and ok, maybe a little fun.

I was offered a ResMed model or a Respironics by Philips DreamStation. There are 5 models depending on price and needs your Dr should prescribe what is needed for you and or what the insurance will pay.
I liked the physical design of the Respironics Dream station for the ease of maintenance and use. As for the software and tracking I need to look at closer. Maybe some other users that have experience with both, that know can share?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie researching my options  |  Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:49 pm

Unless you end up with some special needs (unlikely) the Respironics options will be

DreamStation CPAP model DSX200xx.....avoid this one if at all possible the detail data it gathers is extremely limited and if you run into trouble there's not much to evaluate.

DreamStation Pro model DSX400xxx...it's full data machine but limited to pretty much cpap mode or fixed pressure.

DreamStation Auto CPAP model DSX500xxx...it's full data machine which has both cpap and apap (auto adjusting pressure) modes so it's like 2 machines in one. This is the one I would try to get if it were me.

While you may or may not need apap mode it can come in handy if your pressure needs vary during the night and it's better to have something and not need it than need it and not have it.
My OSA is worse in REM and in REM I might need 6 to 8 cm more pressure.
REM only amounts to about 20 % of the night.
Using APAP mode means I can use a much lower pressure for 80% of the night and then the machine goes up 6 or 8 cm more only when I need it for REM.
If I were to try to use cpap fixed mode I would need to use 18 cm all night and that's not much fun.
Same thing can be said about sleeping on your back...some people need a lot more pressure when on their back and staying off one's back is easier said than done. I think that people should sleep in whatever position they sleep the best in and let the machine sort it out.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie researching my options  |  Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:53 pm

There is easy to obtain and use software available.
https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment

There are a couple of minor little differences in what the machines gather in terms of data with the 2 major brands (ResMed and Respironics) but the differences are very minor and not deal breakers or deal makers IMHO.

SleepyHead Beta software works well also. A few minor bugs but nothing critical. That's what I use 99% of the time.
Encore Pro (Respironics) or ResScan (ResMed) software are big bulky slow PITA softwares to use.

I currently own both brands of machines so I am familiar with not only SleepyHead but ResScan and Encore Pro. It's the same data just presented visually a little differently.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie researching my options  |  Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:43 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Wolfbane wrote:

I would go back and push for a Resmed Airsense10 Autoset instead. In my experience, it's more a little more likely to offer successful treatment.

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

Wolfbane
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie researching my options  |  Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:55 pm

Thanks all, I felt that the auto pap would be the best option, especially with my moderate-severe asthma. Diamaunt, can you share the basis for your opinion? I was leaning towards the DreamStation, but nothing set in stone. Pugsy, I am an extremely restless sleeper, history of this long before my OSA, mostly side sleeper but you never know how I end up. sleep study 15 yrs ago showed no OSA but the tech just shook his head and said he had never seen a more restless sleeper in his career! Doug, I too need to check out programming and options. So much to learn!

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie researching my options  |  Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:47 pm

Actually if given a choice I would also go with the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet and I have owned and used both brands and several of each.
I only described the DreamStations because that is what you said your DME provides.

If you can get the ResMed AutoSet...get it.
I think the algorithm is a bit better in terms of response time.
Right now I am using the AirSense 10 for Her AutoSet (has an extra apap mode that you may or may not need or want)...and I am using less pressure minimum (makes things a bit more comfortable) and getting as good or better results in terms of AHI. Less pressure is always more comfortable.

I have never used a DreamStation but I have used several of the prior models and they didn't change the algorithm with the new model. They just put it in a different package. With Respironics apaps I had to use a 10 cm minimum with AFlex exhale relief at 2 in apap mode and let it go to about 18 at times.
With the AutoSet I am using 7 cm minimum with EPR exhale relief at 3 and it still goes to 18 occasionally....and getting nice low AHI of sub 1.0 quite often and rarely over 2.0.
It's simply more comfortable and doing as good a job as the Respironcis did at higher pressure minimum.

I can pretty much guarantee you won't be sorry if you get the ResMed.
While the Respironics is a very good machine and most people will do well with either...given the choice I prefer the ResMed.

Now do you need the for Her model AutoSet? Don't know. I am using the for Her mode right now after trying the regular mode for a few days.
I can see the benefits for using it for some people but I don't think it is necessarily a critical issue for most people. If you can get one and you don't mind the flowers on it....get it. Won't hurt a thing to have that extra mode in your arsenal.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie researching my options  |  Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:27 am

Wolfbane wrote:
Thanks all, I felt that the auto pap would be the best option, especially with my moderate-severe asthma. Diamaunt, can you share the basis for your opinion?

For the most part, what Pugsy said, plus, in my experience the Resmeds are a little quieter, I had a previous model respironics and got rid of it, because I could hear it whining up and down with breathing, but with the Resmed, I can't, all I hear is air movement.

Plus, I've taken both apart, and feel that the Resmeds are just engineered better, more sturdy connections (previous generation respironics have a tendency to burn up humidifier connections inside).

The data reported for the resmeds is a bit more detailed, and they're more responsive to needs, I've seen many many many charts where Respironics machines were sitting at a pressure without increasing, because the user wasn't having enough breathing events to trigger an increase then when they do, it jumps a half cm at a time (usually)... whereas the Resmeds tend to vary pressure in a more fluid manner, always seeming to be trying to tweak for the best results.

Resmed ships with a nice padded travel bag, Respironics provides a thin one that doesn't provide protection, offering good bags for extra $$.

other, mostly nitpicky thing... like the resmed takes up a lot less space on the beside table. etc.

Cpapian
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie researching my options  |  Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:39 am

PAP Mask: N20
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autostart for her
Humidifier: Included
Pressure Setting: 6 - 14

I will chime in on ResMed too. I am a relative newbie. At first I borrowed a Respironics System One (a generation older than the DreamMachine), now I own a ResMed autoset 10 for her. When I turned on the ResMed, the first thing my husband said was how much quieter it was. What made the Respironics so loud was all the pressure pulses it gave. Sometimes the pressure pulses would wake me up. They were annoying and to my inexperienced mind, I feel they were causing events.

Since switching machines, my pressure has dropped, my AHI has dropped and I am not being woke up by the pressure pulses.

I don't even know if ResMed has or uses pressure pulses.

I have the for her model. I hear that men like it too.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie researching my options  |  Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:51 pm

Cpapian wrote:

It doesn't do the pressure pulse thing to distinguish central vs obstructive apnea. Instead it used something called Forced Oscillation Technique (FOT) to help it decide what to call an event if it is unsure.

Wolfbane
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie researching my options  |  Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:26 pm

Wow! I must have come to the right place, ya'll have all the info with reasonable explanations. My Dr. did prescribe the Respironics machine, but I assume I have some input, if not the final word. Hope to hear from the DME next week sometime. Right now I'm sleeping lousy, headaches in the morning too. I anticipate the need to step up my asthma routine soon, Fall is a rough time for me.

Cpapian
  Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie researching my options  |  Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:39 pm

PAP Mask: N20
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autostart for her
Humidifier: Included
Pressure Setting: 6 - 14

Pugsy wrote:
Cpapian wrote:

It doesn't do the pressure pulse thing to distinguish central vs obstructive apnea. Instead it used something called Forced Oscillation Technique (FOT) to help it decide what to call an event if it is unsure.

Works for me! I really did not like the pressure pulses. :D

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie researching my options  |  Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:40 pm

Cpapian wrote:

I have the for her model. I hear that men like it too.

Here's what Resmed does instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GW97Xk06N8

Also, this is good stuff to know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gie2dhqP2c

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie researching my options  |  Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:42 pm

Wolfbane wrote:
Wow! I must have come to the right place, ya'll have all the info with reasonable explanations. My Dr. did prescribe the Respironics machine, but I assume I have some input, if not the final word. Hope to hear from the DME next week sometime. Right now I'm sleeping lousy, headaches in the morning too. I anticipate the need to step up my asthma routine soon, Fall is a rough time for me.

Don't let them tell you that you don't have the final say in it. If they insist on selling you something you don't want, go elsewhere.

Wolfbane
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie researching my options  |  Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:23 pm

I woke up and I wasn't breathing, like my airway was blocked and I couldn't move. I really couldn't turn over or get up. Terrifying to say the least. It has happened before but not in a while, did not happen in either of my sleep studies. Still waiting to hear from the insurance people and the DME. I'm a tough one, but this freaked me out badly. I thought maybe I dreamed it, but my blankets were all over the floor again and I remember jumping up coughing when I could move. WTH??