Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Cpap mask
FAQ
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:16 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

Deralmendoza
Unread post  Post subject: Cpap mask  |  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:16 pm

I have problem with my full face mask the doctor recommended to me to use full face mask but I am having hard time getting use to the mask I feel like have to tight the mask very tight to not have leaks and dry uncomfortable I fell the mask is not let me sleep if change to a nasal mask and Chin strap do I get the same treatment the a full face mask ?

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cpap mask  |  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:44 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

If you don't have problems with chronic nasal congestion or a deviated septum, then you should be fine with a nasal mask and chinstrap. Or a nasal mask and something that will encourage your mouth to stay closed.

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

MrDoh
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cpap mask  |  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:54 pm

PAP Mask: TAP PAP Nasal Pillow Mask
PAP Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
Pressure Setting: 10-12cm

On the other hand, consider that you might not be using the right size in the full face mask that you have. A lot of masks have sizing charts, wonder if you tried the sizing chart for your full face mask?

Also, there are lots of full face masks out there to try before giving up on them altogether. I'm not familiar with them, others can comment about particular ones.

I would agree, though, that if you can use a mask other than a full face mask and get a low leak level, then that's what I would try. I find that nasal pillow masks are about the least intrusive and work the best for me. Others like nasal masks, and there are even "hybrid" masks out there when nothing else seems to work *smile*.

Mau
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cpap mask  |  Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:58 am

PAP Mask: Resmed Swift Nano FX
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 autoset
Humidifier: yes
Pressure Setting: 7-10

My sleep doc said that with a full face mask we have laminar flow and with the nasal mask you get turbulence. I was on cpap for about 5 years, then tried the SAUD dental device (disaster - made my TMJ worse) and then for some reason didn't go back on cpap. Well, I'm back on cpap and though I am having trouble with mask fit - my tech can't seem to get past the fact that a woman would need a mask bigger than small - I did sleep for 4 uninterrupted hours last night - more than I've had in 6 months or more. My next biggest problem with mask fit is the fact that I have long, thick hair and minimal headgear seems to slip too much. Anyone out there have this problem?

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cpap mask  |  Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:31 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Mau wrote:
My sleep doc said that with a full face mask we have laminar flow and with the nasal mask you get turbulence.

Your sleep doc doesn't know what "laminar flow" means.

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

BillyHW
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cpap mask  |  Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:08 am

PAP Mask: F&P Simplus
PAP Machine: Philips Dreamstation Auto
Pressure Setting: 12 to 20 cmH2O

Mau wrote:
My sleep doc said that with a full face mask we have laminar flow and with the nasal mask you get turbulence. I was on cpap for about 5 years, then tried the SAUD dental device (disaster - made my TMJ worse) and then for some reason didn't go back on cpap. Well, I'm back on cpap and though I am having trouble with mask fit - my tech can't seem to get past the fact that a woman would need a mask bigger than small - I did sleep for 4 uninterrupted hours last night - more than I've had in 6 months or more. My next biggest problem with mask fit is the fact that I have long, thick hair and minimal headgear seems to slip too much. Anyone out there have this problem?

I haven't had hair for 20 years. :D

Mau
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cpap mask  |  Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:58 am

PAP Mask: Resmed Swift Nano FX
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 autoset
Humidifier: yes
Pressure Setting: 7-10

I go along with my sleep doc not knowing what he was talking about ... because the full face mask (ResMed F20) was an absolute disaster... I have high cheekbones and a wide mouth and sizewise am between a medium cushion and a large, with medium just too small and the large way too big. ResMed messed the sizing up on that. I'm desperate for a full nights sleep and went out and bought a Respironics Dreamwear (moves around a lot) and a Swift FX Nano to try. Hopefully one will work or I'll just die from lack of sleep (yes, I'm being dramatic but I haven't slept through the night for close to 6 months and am losing my mind) ...

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cpap mask  |  Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:33 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

Mau wrote:
I go along with my sleep doc not knowing what he was talking about ... because the full face mask (ResMed F20) was an absolute disaster... I have high cheekbones and a wide mouth and sizewise am between a medium cushion and a large, with medium just too small and the large way too big. ResMed messed the sizing up on that. I'm desperate for a full nights sleep and went out and bought a Respironics Dreamwear (moves around a lot) and a Swift FX Nano to try. Hopefully one will work or I'll just die from lack of sleep (yes, I'm being dramatic but I haven't slept through the night for close to 6 months and am losing my mind) ...

Hi, my facial features are different than yours but I was also between a medium (too small) and a large cushion (too big) in both the F&P Simplus and the ResMed F20. I went with the large in the F20 because I was waking up with the medium in my mouth. I ended up using a piece of stick-on Velcro and a thin strap from a chinstrap across the bottom of the cushion to keep it down (tiny chin). Haven't used it since I got it to work since I preferred the Swift FX Nano at the time. The trick with the Nano is not to overtighten the bottom strap and make sure the top strap is holding tension on the bottom of the cushion. You want the cushion to inflate, it may feel loose, but you'll know if you get leaks, it whistles or sputters depending on the leak.

As to the hair, I have chin length hair, but thick. I pull some of my hair up into a little ponytail on the top of my head or else use a claw clip to hold some hair up, both of these keep the top strap of the headgear from slipping down my head. I've been sleeping this way for years though, because I was getting so hot and sweaty from the sleep apnea before I was diagnosed.