Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Questions about new machine
FAQ
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:12 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

Lisalisacats
Unread post  Post subject: Questions about new machine  |  Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:34 pm

PAP Mask: Respironics DreamWear Gel Pillow - FitPack-1124984
PAP Machine: DreamStation 500 Auto

Six years ago I had a stroke. It was discovered in the hospital (after all the alarms kept going off on the oxygen machine) that I had severe sleep apnea. I've been using a machine since then. Finally decided to upgrade to the DreamStation 500 Auto. and I have some questions. I put the distilled water in the humidifier every night and in the morning it doesn't seem like it's gone down at all. Is this because I haven't needed it during the night? Do I need to empty it each morning and put in fresh each night?
I got my new machine from Amazon and tho it came with an instruction manual most of the things I've learned about it I got from youtube. Hey...that's actually where I found this forum so thank goodness for that.
I don't understand this ram thing. It seems like when I lay down I'm getting too much air and it makes me catch my breath. Do I have something set too high. Again...my previous machine was very basic (you know insurance) and all I did was use it I never had to set anything.
I had always used the pillows but the new gel ones have caused some irritation in my nose so I'm going to try the nasal cushion and see if that helps.

Any help would be ... helpful.

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Questions about new machine  |  Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:26 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

Lisalisacats wrote:
I put the distilled water in the humidifier every night and in the morning it doesn't seem like it's gone down at all. Is this because I haven't needed it during the night?
Is the heat turned on for it? If not, it's not going to go down much if any. This is called cold passover and isn't really effective at getting moisture into the air that you are breathing. Make sure the heat is on.

Lisalisacats wrote:
Do I need to empty it each morning and put in fresh each night?
Yes. (when the water is warmed) It creates a warm, dark, and wet environment for stuff to grow. It is highly advisable to dump it and start with fresh water every use.

Lisalisacats wrote:
It seems like when I lay down I'm getting too much air and it makes me catch my breath. Do I have something set too high.
To answer this effectively (and accurately) I would have to look at the raw data from your study. It's always possible that you are on too much pressure. You can download SleepyHead and take a look at your data and see what is happening throughout the night. This would give you some clues about the pressure setting. You can also call your doctor and mention this and ask if there is another lower pressure that appears to be effective that you could try.

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Questions about new machine  |  Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:08 am

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Lisalisacats wrote:
[size=150]I put the distilled water in the humidifier every night and in the morning it doesn't seem like it's gone down at all. Is this because I haven't needed it during the night?

Your machine measures the humidity in the room, and adds enough to bring it up to whatever level is set, if your room air isn't dry, then it'll use very little, if any water during the night.

If you're using distilled water, i wouldn't worry about dumping it and using new, though cleaning the tank weekly is probably a good idea.

Alternatively, if it's not using any water, try turning the humidifier off and not putting water in, until the weather gets drier.

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

Sleepycycler
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Questions about new machine  |  Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:53 pm

PAP Mask: Amara
PAP Machine: Dreamstation apap
Humidifier: Dreamstation
Pressure Setting: 5 to 10 cmH20

Hi all!
I wondered about this myself. My machine uses less than a quarter of an inch of water per night. But sometimes it's barely discernable but there is condensation inside the top of the tank so it has to be working. Now I only fill it about half way because I hate throwing away more than three quarters of the distilled water every day. I have the Dreamstation 500 apap.

BillyHW
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Questions about new machine  |  Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:15 am

PAP Mask: F&P Simplus
PAP Machine: Philips Dreamstation Auto
Pressure Setting: 12 to 20 cmH2O

Water usage depends completely on the humidity in the room. Where I live, during the summer there is ample humidity in the air and the humidifier barely used any water all summer. I didn't even need to buy another jug of distilled water for months. However, in the winter the air here is so dry that the reservoir does not even last a whole night. I need to buy a jug every couple weeks or so.

If there is water left I don't usually dump it out every night, but maybe I should. What I do is every week or so I wash it out with dish soap and tap water. And every month or so wash it out with vinegar.