Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Just diagnosed and feeling lost
FAQ
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:15 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

iyork
Unread post  Post subject: Just diagnosed and feeling lost  |  Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:21 am

Hello,

I just got my results of a home sleep study and I had an AHI of 12.2 with no central apnea(not sure what this is). My doctor is recommending an auto cpap machine for obstructive sleep apnea. The 3 companies I was given as in-network are Home Medical Express, Lincare, and Apria. All of these seem to have terrible reviews and I'm worried about getting charged randomly after the initial purchase. Since my insurance won't cover the purchase until I meet my deductible anyway, I figured it might be better to purchase something online. I'm just not sure what I might need especially since my sleep apnea seems to be on the more moderate side. I have been looking at cpap.com so far which seems alright.

Any suggestions on what I might want to purchase? Also very open to any advice at all on this since it's all pretty new to me.

Thanks!

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Just diagnosed and feeling lost  |  Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:28 am

PAP Mask: Quattro
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 11-15

If you are purchasing out of pocket....try amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Res-Med-AirSense ... 10+autoset

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Just diagnosed and feeling lost  |  Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:35 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Target the ResMed or Respironics brand auto/apap model machines.

cpap.com is an excellent source to buy from.

These would be the machines I would recommend or get if I were in your shoes.

ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet $883
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... idair.html

or
Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP with humidifier and heated hose $866
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-dre ... chine.html

Of the 2....I would lean towards the ResMed (and I have owned both brands) because we don't know what pressures you are going to end up needing and if you need pressures that are higher I think that ResMed exhale relief is probably a little better at the higher pressures.

Both are excellent machines but the ResMed has a few more pros to it IMHO. Prices are very close unless you shop around and want to save some money and get a prior discontinued model.

You might check secondwindcpap.com
they offer some gently used machines as well as some new open box specials. They are good people too.
Just make sure that you know your models and which one does what and don't get fixated on price.

Amazon is also a viable choice....just make sure you know the model you are looking at.