Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Why can't I get 75% Mask Fit
FAQ
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:43 am

Click this Affiliate Link to Support FreeCPAPAdvice when buying from Amazon. Easiest way to support us!

Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Maineguitarman
Unread post  Post subject: Why can't I get 75% Mask Fit  |  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:16 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit 20 Large
PAP Machine: Philips Respironics Dreamstation w/CFlex Plus
Humidifier: Philips Respironics Dreamstation Humidifier
Pressure Setting: 9

I've been on CPAP for 8 nights now. All except for 1 of the nights,I can't get more than a 75% fit. There was 1 night when I got a 100% fit, but I have no idea how that happened. I didn't do anything different that night. I am kind of between mask sizes. A medium is a tad too small, and a large is a tad too big. I use the large because the medium squishes my mouth a little and it's uncomfortable. I tried the medium one night but it was not the night I got the 100% fit. Any tips on how I can improve my mask fit, or any suggestions on different mask brands that might work better than mine?

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Why can't I get 75% Mask Fit  |  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:03 am

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

Forgetting what the "mask fit" says...How are you sleeping? Do the leaks disturb your sleep? What is your AHI? If the leaks are causing you to loose sleep,or if your AHI is high, I would try a mask liner from http://padacheek.com . If the leaks don't disturb your sleep...forget about what the "mask fit" says.

Maineguitarman
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Why can't I get 75% Mask Fit  |  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:18 am

LSAT wrote:
Forgetting what the "mask fit" says...How are you sleeping? Do the leaks disturb your sleep? What is your AHI? If the leaks are causing you to loose sleep,or if your AHI is high, I would try a mask liner from http://padacheek.com . If the leaks don't disturb your sleep...forget about what the "mask fit" says.

I'm sleeping fine and I feel great! My AHI has been consistently below 5. The leaks don't disturb me. You're rightI should be paying attention to my AHI and not worry about the mask %. Thank you for the advice. Sorry about the double entry. I haven't used one of these type forums since the early 2000s LOL. I'll delete one of them as soon as I figure out how.

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Why can't I get 75% Mask Fit  |  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:09 am
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

I don’t really think machine reported AHI is real important. It’s like second tier. How you feel upon waking and throughout the day is the real indicator.

On YouTube you mention going from sleeping 12 hours a day to 7 hours. That a real tell that pap therapy is working well for you.

Glad you made it here!! :)

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Why can't I get 75% Mask Fit  |  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:36 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

I don't always get "perfect" leak numbers either but as long as the leaks aren't waking me up and I am sleeping decently and feeling decent then I really don't care what the numbers are.

Besides...75% isn't horrible and I learned a long time ago that there are degrees of leaking. If you just barely go into large leak territory you still get dinged for fit just as bad as if you went deep into large leak territory in terms of "fit" and ResMed has an ultra conservative red line anyway.

Maineguitarman
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Why can't I get 75% Mask Fit  |  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:24 pm

TheLankyLefty, sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. After I posted it I noticed there was a section for mask questions. You can move if you like.

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Why can't I get 75% Mask Fit  |  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:43 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

Maineguitarman wrote:
TheLankyLefty, sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. After I posted it I noticed there was a section for mask questions. You can move if you like.
Nah.....we don't worry about that stuff too much. :)

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

Sleep2snore
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Why can't I get 75% Mask Fit  |  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:48 pm

PAP Mask: Nasal Pillows - Swift FX
PAP Machine: Remstar Airsense 10 Autoset / Remstar Auto Cflex APAP as back up!
Humidifier: Also F&P stand alone (Used with back-up machine).
Pressure Setting: 10 - 20

It is how you feel that matters most, numbers, as long as they are low and not high numbers and you feel fine, that is what matters at the end of the day, or in out case in the morning usually!
There was a survey done on another forum and those with very low numbers didn't feel so good as they did with slightly higher numbers. i.e those with 0,0 or 1 felt worse when they got their numbers down that low than they did when it was higher at 3 or 5 AhI. At the end of the day, if your numbers are lowish and you are not having any problems you are doing fine. I would only look to do something if they were above 5 and I was feeling tired or fatigued during the day or headaches in the morning etc.