Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Centrals
FAQ
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:35 am

Click this Affiliate Link to Support FreeCPAPAdvice when buying from Amazon. Easiest way to support us!

Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

dreamingofdreaming
Unread post  Post subject: Centrals  |  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:05 am

PAP Mask: Dreamwear nasal mask
PAP Machine: Dreamstation
Pressure Setting: APAP 14/20

How many CA's are normal to have in a night? I have my auto pressure set to 10/17 and it seems to be controlling my apneas pretty well. My AHI was 2 last night. When I look at my sleepyhead report it is showing most of my events are centrals. When I look at the times that I am having these, I know that I am asleep. I don't appear to wake up from most of these events. Since it's only 5-10 a night, is it normal to have these? I currently have my flex set to 3 to make breathing comfortable. Since I am having the best sleep that I've had in probably 10 years, I really don't want to change anything unless I have to.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Centrals  |  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:45 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Yes...it's normal to have a few centrals during the night and have them be the real deal.
Like it's normal to have what is called a sleep onset central when we transition to sleep.
We normally have more than one transition to sleep besides the obvious one at the beginning of the night.
It's normal to wake after a REM cycle (we may or may not remember awakening) and we fall back asleep so another opportunity for a sleep onset central. We can have several REM cycles...and we can also wake up for any number of reasons.

It's also likely that some of the "centrals" may not be real but instead might be a turning over in bed hold your breath central.

So it's possible that some of yours are real and some aren't real.
Doesn't really matter though...you aren't having enough of them to be a problem even if every one of them was real.

Most doctors won't worry about the number of centrals unless they are seeing at least 5 per hour average consistently throughout the night and every night.

So...since you are sleeping good and feeling good with current settings...I wouldn't change anything and I wouldn't worry about the small number of centrals you are seeing. It's normal to see a few here and there...not a big deal.

Allessio77
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Centrals  |  Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:53 am

PAP Mask: Quattro Air and Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Auto
Pressure Setting: 7-11

Is there any way to recognize these onset/turnover centrals graphically (on Sleephead)? Do they have identifiable wave forms?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Centrals  |  Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:28 am

Allessio77 wrote:
Is there any way to recognize these onset/turnover centrals graphically (on Sleephead)? Do they have identifiable wave forms?

Sometimes we can spot awake/post arousal central vs asleep central based on the flow rate but it's not always black and white.

Jason has a video explaining what to look for
http://freecpapadvice.com/central-sleep-apnea

dreamingofdreaming
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Centrals  |  Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:43 pm

PAP Mask: Dreamwear nasal mask
PAP Machine: Dreamstation
Pressure Setting: APAP 14/20

Here are a few pictures.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.27 MiB | Viewed 872 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.8 MiB | Viewed 872 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 2.04 MiB | Viewed 872 times ]
Allessio77
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Centrals  |  Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:32 am

PAP Mask: Quattro Air and Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Auto
Pressure Setting: 7-11

dreamingofdreaming wrote:
Here are a few pictures.

Are these real centrals or 'junk' centrals...they seem to be preceded by an large inhalation?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Centrals  |  Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:40 pm

Allessio77 wrote:

Are these real centrals or 'junk' centrals...they seem to be preceded by an large inhalation?

They do look a bit "iffy" to me with the inhalation just prior to the cessation of breathing. Couple of them more so than the other but can't really see the flow pattern that preceded the event all that well to get a good feel for was it asleep breathing or a turn over in bed pause thing.
Sometimes looking at this stuff and determining real or not is easy and sometimes it's not so easy.
I like to try to see more of the flow pattern than what was shown here to help me out because sometimes I need all the help I can get deciding if real or awake or whatever.

These are OA flags...pretty sure they are real due to the nice normal respiration pattern preceding them.

This one isn't zoomed in as close but I think post arousal...SWJ...the irregularity in breathing just prior to the flag is very easily seen. So awake or semi awake that may or may not be remembered.

I don't seem to have a good example of a central handy (I don't see many of them) but if I spot one on my report and I don't forget I will come back and post it for you to see. I don't have the time to go digging right now.