Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - My CPAP keeps husband awake
FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:04 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Dormouse
Unread post  Post subject: My CPAP keeps husband awake  |  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:16 am

Hi. I started using CPAP three months ago after being diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea. It's made a tremendous difference and I'm able to function normally again.

However, my husband finds that it disturbs his sleep so much that he's finally decided he's got to move to another room as he's so tired all the time. It's not the machine itself, it's the constant hissing of air. Also if I lie on my back he complains of cold air blowing on him.

He managed to sleep for years with my extremely loud snoring so I can't understand why he is so disturbed by the CPAP. He uses ear plugs but it hasn't helped. I've told him he must have a sleep problem! :D He's always been a very light sleeper.

Is there anything I should be doing? I'm getting a bit fed up being made to feel guilty every morning for his disturbed sleep. I know I'm a bit leaky so maybe that's what he's hearing. I'm using a nasal mask and tried a chin strap but was still mouth breathing so now I tape my lips together but not completely as I sometimes have difficulty breathing through my nose. I have a full face mask too but it's uncomfortable - to get it to seal top and bottom the middle section digs hard into my face. I also find that I swallow a lot of air with the full face mask and that's uncomfortable too and I sometimes have to get up in the night because I feel I'm being inflated to bursting point.

Thanks in advance!

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: My CPAP keeps husband awake  |  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:09 am

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

Use the FF mask with a mask liner from padacheek.com.....they also have an anti-leak strap you might try.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: My CPAP keeps husband awake  |  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:48 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Which nasal mask are you using? There are some nasal masks which have a diffused venting system that won't be bouncing off the husband and are silent.
The hissing...might be leaks and you need to use available software to make sure the leaks aren't so bad that your therapy is compromised.
What machine brand and model are you using? Hopefully it will give you leak data to evaluate.

Not all nasal mask leak is from mouth breathing. People can have a lot of just mask movement leaking also.

BillyHW
Unread post  Post subject: Re: My CPAP keeps husband awake  |  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:52 pm

PAP Mask: F&P Simplus
PAP Machine: Philips Dreamstation Auto
Pressure Setting: 12 to 20 cmH2O

Twin beds FTW!

Dormouse
Unread post  Post subject: Re: My CPAP keeps husband awake  |  Posted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:00 am

Thank you for the replies. I've been trying the full face mask for the past few nights and it's definitely a lot quieter although not very comfortable. So now husband is sleeping better while I take ages to drift off! I'm pretty sure it was noisy mouth leaks that were disturbing him. No easy answer!

BillyHW
Unread post  Post subject: Re: My CPAP keeps husband awake  |  Posted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:23 pm

PAP Mask: F&P Simplus
PAP Machine: Philips Dreamstation Auto
Pressure Setting: 12 to 20 cmH2O

https://youtu.be/6V1ymoKPTAk?t=1m38s