Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Diffuser of mask making a intermittent hissing sound.
FAQ
It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:37 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Jorge NYC
Unread post  Post subject: Diffuser of mask making a intermittent hissing sound.  |  Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:50 am

Good day, I have a Mirage soft edge fx nasal mask which is fitted to an AirSense 10 AutoSet CPAP machine just issued to me by my health care provider and during the second evening of usage after proper mask adjustments the previous evening the diffuser portion of the mask is leaking by making a low high pitched hiss sound as if air is escaping. I have very sensitive hearing and it prevents me from falling back asleep. Is this high pitch low frequency sounding air escaping hiss normal for the diffuser?

It's not a constant hiss, very intermittent when it occurs, but within 10-15 seconds each time it begins to hiss. I had made adjustments to my sleeping position and where the tube is staged in relation to the machine but to no avail on the improvement of the situation. The LED readout and my results indicate the mask and humidity chamber seal are good with a green happy face icon. Could it be the diffuser on the actual mask is defective or is this normal operation for the construction of this mask? Quite annoying to the point I had to wear earplugs to suppress the irritating hiss noise emanating from the diffuser area of the mask. Please help, it's a brand new machine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly, with best regards...G.Rosado.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Diffuser of mask making a intermittent hissing sound.  |  Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:16 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Exactly which mask are you talking about?
There are several ResMed masks using the term Mirage
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks/nasal-c ... k#:::2:::::

Is it this one
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/Resmed ... h-Headgear

All masks have those vent holes. They aren't all necessarily offering much actual diffusing of the vented air. Some masks are just noisier than others with the venting.
If it annoys you...you need to try a mask that actually diffuses that vented air and the Mirage FX doesn't really diffuse it.

The F & P Eson is similar to the Mirage FX and has an optional diffuser you can clip on those vent holes to reduce the noise.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... -cpap-mask

There are also other masks with extra diffusers available..The Brevida, the Pilairo, the ResMed AirFit P10...to name a few.