Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Is autoset the best?
FAQ
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:20 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

sleepyseth
Unread post  Post subject: Is autoset the best?  |  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:43 am

Hello,
I have been using a cpap for the last 10 years. About 2 years ago I had a sleep study and updated to a Resmed Airsense 10 autoset. I took the test at the hospital was given a prescription and sent on my way from the medical supply with my new machine. Its been a huge difference over the resmed tango I used to have. I view my sleep reports from the machine often on their app and everything has been good until the last week. I have had a huge increase in events and have been waking up gasping for air. Which has never happened before. Mask seal is 20/20. I found the video on youtube about increasing the pressure, I am currently at 10. I noticed that it has auto which i was never told about, would this be a better option than just increasing the pressure? Does the auto feature just determine what I need?

Thanks in Advance,
Seth

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Is autoset the best?  |  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:57 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Let me give you an example of how using the auto adjusting mode affects my pressures.
First of all the machine will try to auto adjust as needed but sometimes we have to help it out with a starting point. They can't go from 4 to 12 in a blink of an eye...They just can't respond that fast.

My OSA is worse in REM sleep....REM sleep makes up about 20 % of my night. In REM I might need 15 cm pressure or more...the rest of the night I do quite well with the pressure running around 9 cm.
If I were to use a fixed pressure I would have to use 15 cm or more all night long just to deal with the 20% of the night I am in REM.
It's doable but sure wouldn't be comfortable to use that much more pressure than is really needed for the other 80% of the night.

Same thing can be said for supine sleeping. People can need a lot more when on their backs but maybe they don't spend much time on their back.

Some people will see a rather wide range in pressure needs for various reasons...those people likely would find auto mode a nice thing.
Some people never see much movement or change in pressure needs...those people it probably wouldn't make much of a difference one way or the other to use auto mode.

Me....I just set my minimum to give the machine a good enough head start to get to where it might want to go...and I sleep in any position and don't worry about REM (we have zero control over REM anyway) and I let the machine sort it out. It won't increase the pressure without a good reason anyway.

sleepyseth
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Is autoset the best?  |  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:09 am

So if I think my pressure should be raised to say 11 from 10 would it be safe to try the auto set feature to start at 10 and allow it to go to 11 or should I go higher than 11 say 12 maybe? Would this be safer than just raising to a constant pressure until I see if it helps?

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Is autoset the best?  |  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:25 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Set it to auto mode, min 10, max 20, and post some charts.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Is autoset the best?  |  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:56 pm

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: 12-20

sleepyseth wrote:
Hello,
I have been using a cpap for the last 10 years. About 2 years ago I had a sleep study and updated to a Resmed Airsense 10 autoset. I took the test at the hospital was given a prescription and sent on my way from the medical supply with my new machine. Its been a huge difference over the resmed tango I used to have. I view my sleep reports from the machine often on their app and everything has been good until the last week. I have had a huge increase in events and have been waking up gasping for air. Which has never happened before. Mask seal is 20/20. I found the video on youtube about increasing the pressure, I am currently at 10. I noticed that it has auto which i was never told about, would this be a better option than just increasing the pressure? Does the auto feature just determine what I need?

Thanks in Advance,
Seth

Since you review your sleep reports, what is your average AHI???

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Is autoset the best?  |  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:05 pm

It's not "dangerous" to do either...go to auto mode or stick with fixed pressure and just increase the fixed.

The only real potential issue with going fixed higher is there might be some extra aerophgia issues crop up or even smaller chance of centrals popping up in numbers greater than we normally like to see.

Nothing dangerous about doing either...
If it were me...I would follow diamaunt's recommendation...start the minimum at your current fixed pressure of 10 and set max at 20 and see what happens. At this point we don't know how critical it is that you increase the pressure anyway ...and 10 cm is a very good head start...give it a try. Maybe you only need 11 or 12 for 30 minutes during the night...and while it won't hurt you to use it all night...why do it if you don't have to.

sleepyseth
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Is autoset the best?  |  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:15 pm

Thank you I'm going to try the auto set tonight. Here is my report from my machine. As you can see looks like something is going haywire in the last couple of nights.

Attachments:
PSX_20190508_230823.jpg
PSX_20190508_230823.jpg [ 345.73 KiB | Viewed 935 times ]
Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Is autoset the best?  |  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:16 pm

Sleeping position change?
Change in medications? Add one or change dosage or remove one???

Which event category increased? I can't tell from this report.
If it was central apneas...more pressure being available may not be the solution.

Do you know about the available software so the actual nightly details are available?
SleepyHead or OSCAR...
http://freecpapadvice.com/sleepyhead-free-software

sleepyseth
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Is autoset the best?  |  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:39 pm

I'm trying to get sleepy head setup. Unfortunately I don't have an SD card I will have to grab one tomorrow after work