Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Back Pain from CPAP
FAQ
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:31 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

texascat
Unread post  Post subject: Back Pain from CPAP  |  Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:53 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirTouch F20
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto
Humidifier: HumidAir
Pressure Setting: 6-8

I've been on CPAP for 10 days now and it started out good. I had to change mask's but I have one now that fits great and is comfortable.

Problem is now for the last three nights I have been waking up in the middle of the night with back pain. It is progressively getting worse. At first I thought is was sleeping position but now I think it is from the CPAP machine filling me with air. I am waking up bloated and I realize the back pain is sever gas pains. Last night I woke up around 4am and I just took off my mask and after rolling around for awhile, went back to sleep. The pain was still there when I got up a 7am but it had subsided some.

Anybody else had this happen? How did you deal with it?

I'm going to make an appointment with the Dr next week but hopefully I can get this figured out before.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Back Pain from CPAP  |  Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:56 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

It's called aerophagia....search the forum for it.
Very common.
If you aren't using EPR exhale relief....try turning it on and see if that helps.

Jason may have a page here about it but I can't find it right now and don't have time to look but here's a page from another forum I am on.
http://www.cpaptalk.com/wiki/index.php/Aerophagia

texascat
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Back Pain from CPAP  |  Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:21 am

EPR was already on. (Maybe I should try turning it off)

My Dr lowered the pressure from 10/15 to 8/12 and it seemed to help the first night but I woke up this morning in excruciating pain.

I'm thinking of lowering the top number to 10 tonight but beyond that I'm not sure what to try.

texascat
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Back Pain from CPAP  |  Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:35 pm

I haven't given up yet but the Aerophagia will not go away. My doctor just keeps saying hang in there and it will get better but 3 months into it and I'm not so sure. I keep using CPAP because it's obvious to feel the benefits but the constant pain is wearing on me. Does anything on this screenshot look like there is a change I could try?

Attachments:
AHI.jpg
AHI.jpg [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 7788 times ]
k5mow
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Back Pain from CPAP  |  Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:06 am

PAP Mask: Mirage Quattro medium
PAP Machine: Airstart 10 AirSence 10
Humidifier: Set at 5 only in the winter. Set to off in spring summer
Pressure Setting: 11CM

My wife had the bad gas problem. Her doctor told her to try a full face mask. Her doctor said that some People have this problem when using a nasal mask. It did help her. She is on BiPAP which also helped.

Roger

Catwoman
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Back Pain from CPAP  |  Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:31 pm

PAP Mask: Airfit f20 and airtouch f20
PAP Machine: Airsense for her
Pressure Setting: 8 cm

Do you have acid reflux or an a problem with your esophagus? I have EOE. I found that I had to move the timing of a med until I healed enough that air stop entering. I had a similar problem with pain during that time.