Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - I need advice on adjusting to CPAP please!
FAQ
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:55 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Chalupabatmann3
Unread post  Post subject: I need advice on adjusting to CPAP please!  |  Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:18 pm

PAP Mask: F&P simplus
PAP Machine: Resperonics DreamStation
Humidifier: Dreamstation
Pressure Setting: 10

I have had my Dreamstation for a little over a year now and it seems i have used it about 15 times in that entire year. I cant manage to keep the mask on for more than about 45 min to an hour. I have an F&P simplus mask and my machine also comes with a humidifier. I take the mask off without knowing or i remove it because i hear a whislting noise once my pressures go above 6. The doctor ordered 10 cmH20 for me but once i get to about 7 i wake up and i just seem to struggle.. really poor excuse but i want to use this darn machine. im active military and barely getting any sleep.

i had two studies done
First study 6 apneas total with an AHI of 0.8 and a total of 118 hypopneas for an HI of 16.6. The overall apnea-hypopnea index was 17.4 events/hour

second study with cpap 37 apneas in total. 30 were OSA and 7 were identified as central. the AI was 9.4 apneas an hour. total of 32 hypopneas for a total of 8.1 per hour. overall apnea-hypopnea was 17.5 per hour

any advice would be appreciated.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: I need advice on adjusting to CPAP please!  |  Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:43 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Why the full face mask?
Something wrong with your nose so that you just have to breathe through your mouth to move enough air and you have to mouth breathe?

Obviously until you can keep the mask on for longer than an hour there's really not much we can do except try to figure out some way to keep it on.

For now....why not just try 6 cm fixed pressure? I know it's probably not what you need but maybe work on getting adjusted to the mask at a lower pressure and worry about increasing it later.
All night at 6 cm even though not ideal ...is better than all night with nothing.

If you just can't get comfortable with this mask...try something else.
Most people go through several masks before settling on one.
You might try taping the straps to your cheeks so that if you try to remove the mask the discomfort of the tape pulling will wake you up and you can stop the unwanted behavior.

CrookedRiver
Unread post  Post subject: Re: I need advice on adjusting to CPAP please!  |  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:17 am

PAP Mask: Mirage FX
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Humidifier: [integrated]
Pressure Setting: 6-9

Pugsy wrote:
Why the full face mask?
Something wrong with your nose so that you just have to breathe through your mouth to move enough air and you have to mouth breathe?

Obviously until you can keep the mask on for longer than an hour there's really not much we can do except try to figure out some way to keep it on.

For now....why not just try 6 cm fixed pressure? I know it's probably not what you need but maybe work on getting adjusted to the mask at a lower pressure and worry about increasing it later.
All night at 6 cm even though not ideal ...is better than all night with nothing.

If you just can't get comfortable with this mask...try something else.
Most people go through several masks before settling on one.
You might try taping the straps to your cheeks so that if you try to remove the mask the discomfort of the tape pulling will wake you up and you can stop the unwanted behavior.

I second all this!

From own experience:
My first CPAP experience was with the 'nasal plugs' (AirFit P10?), but gave it up quickly because of hissing air coming out my mouth and waking me up. This made me think that I absolutely needed a full mask.
Then tried numerous different full masks, must have been at least 10 if you count all sizes and models. Plus Mask liners, bought ones as well as 'self-made'. Nothing worked well. This March I was about to give it all up. Like OP I started to throw away the mask in my sleep, I hardly managed more than 90 minutes.

Consulted another hospital, because I lost my faith in the initial one. The nurse there suggested two things:
* Trying a Mirage FX (I didn't believe in it at all, due to my experience with the former nasal plugs). Strangely enough, I didn't have much problems with hissing. Something either changed, or simply the nasal mask makes the air flow a bit differently (indeed it sounds weird!)
* Limiting the pressure to 6 (min) - 9 (max) (didn't believe in that either because it was contrary to the mantra of this forum). Previous settings would be 6-20 and 8.5-20

It took me one week to adjust, and I hardly had problems after that. My AHI is lower than ever and counts mostly of (false?) centrals. This summer I had nights were I slept 8 hours +. This didn't happen for a very, very long time.

I still feel it is counter-intuitive to lower the max pressure, but obviously for me the nuisance of a high pressure is more disturbing than the apnea (and YES!: probably the nasal one works better than a full on me, limiting the apneas in a some way. I am not hinting that it will be just as easy for everyone else)

EDIT: Just checked my stats for the last month: Average use: 6.9 hours. AHI: 0.6 (centrals making up 0.4 of this) Hallelujah! :)

Chalupabatmann3
Unread post  Post subject: Re: I need advice on adjusting to CPAP please!  |  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:47 am

PAP Mask: F&P simplus
PAP Machine: Resperonics DreamStation
Humidifier: Dreamstation
Pressure Setting: 10

Thank you for the advice.. i am a huge mouth breather because when i lay down i can barely breath through my nose. I am supposed to be getting rhinoplasty once i finish this school i am in. I tried the nasal but the pressure was so difficult i couldnt close my mouth for long. i am hoping a larger mask size will help me with my problem. i was supposed to receive a large but when given my machine the lady put medium in the order and we didnt catch it so my mask size has been wrong this whole time. i also purchased a heated tube in hopes that this will help with all the condensation in my tube that comes up and splashes me in the face.. i really want to be successful in therapy because im tired of waking up every morning with aches and pains because from what the doc said my 02 levels drop to about 80 in my sleep from what they can tell. whats weird is my max heart rate during the couple studies i did went all the way up to 117 more than a few times. hoping i can get through this.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: I need advice on adjusting to CPAP please!  |  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:40 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

The heated hose will help with the condensation.
Until you can get it though....if you have some old tube socks somewhere cut a little hole in the toes of 3 or 4 of them and slide them over the hose and secure with tape or bread ties or whatever...and it will help insulate the air in the hose so it doesn't cool down and release the moisture.

If you need a full face mask then you need a full face mask. Revisit a nasal mask later once you get your nose worked on.

Again try just using 6 cm....some therapy is better than no therapy and maybe later once you get to where you can actually sleep with the mask and machine you can slowly increase the setting.

pauses
Unread post  Post subject: Re: I need advice on adjusting to CPAP please!  |  Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:28 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her with Heated Humidifier
Pressure Setting: 4 - 20

I don’t know if this will help you or not, but I listen to audiobooks using earbuds. I can’t hear the breathing, air flow, etc. I find it much easier to fall asleep and stay asleep. Good luck

Mugglemomof3
Unread post  Post subject: Re: I need advice on adjusting to CPAP please!  |  Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:13 pm

PAP Mask: Phillips Respironics DreamWear Full Face Mask
PAP Machine: ResMed Air Curve 10
Pressure Setting: S-10 Auto Bi-PAP, EPAP 6, PS 10, max IPAP 20

pauses wrote:
I don’t know if this will help you or not, but I listen to audiobooks using earbuds. I can’t hear the breathing, air flow, etc. I find it much easier to fall asleep and stay asleep. Good luck

great tip - I'm going to try that tonight!

dukeofthedeck
Unread post  Post subject: Re: I need advice on adjusting to CPAP please!  |  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:53 am

PAP Mask: Resmed Mirage FX
PAP Machine: Resmed AirSense 10
Humidifier: Included with PAP machine
Pressure Setting: 4-12

I had a similar problem of not getting enough air particularly in one nostril. I would constantly adjust the mask and have to fight to keep the mask on for 4 hours. I now use a breathe right nasal strip and pad a cheek liner and it keeps the nostril open and now can keep the mask on 6-7 hours.