Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Not sure if CPAP is working
FAQ
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:15 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

nukem287
Unread post  Post subject: Not sure if CPAP is working  |  Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:01 pm

I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea about 2 years ago (REM related OSA with an AHI of 15) and was given a ResMed CPAP machine with Nasal Pillows. When I first got it and used it I noticed that if I opened my mouth when the machine was on I could feel small amounts of air come out of my mouth. Over the 2 years I have not been religious about using it but noticed that when I use it now and open my mouth no air comes out. In fact if I do not inhale I can just feel the air accumulating in my nose/sinuses, it seems the only time the air reaches my throat from my nose is when I actually inhale rather than it being a regular continuous stream of air. My nose is not stuffed up, it just seems that unless I inhale it plugs up or something. I have run the mask fit setting so it pumps out a lot of air to see if it was just because of the ramp but while the machine is pumping out a lot of air, it still never makes to to my throat unless I inhale (air flow will actually begin pulsating until I inhale).

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Not sure if CPAP is working  |  Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:25 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

I think you probably just have subconsciously learned how to keep the air pressure in the airway out of your mouth.
I can open my mouth wide...stick out my tongue...blow raspberries at you....and even talk all the while masked up with the machine on blowing full pressure...and no air ever enters my mouth.

There's a reflex action that we can learn to do that blocks the air from entering the mouth.

Unless your nose is totally stuffed up...the air pressure will make it to the throat area. You would know it if your nose was that stopped up.