Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Resmed elbow vents
FAQ
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:56 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Glenn
Unread post  Post subject: Resmed elbow vents  |  Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:16 am

PAP Mask: Resmed F20 and F30
PAP Machine: Resmed S10 Autoset
Humidifier: Resmed S10 ( integrated )
Pressure Setting: 15

I’ve been using CPAP for 6 years with zero problems. Masks and equipment replaced at normal interviews.

About two weeks ago I started feeling the exact same symptoms I experienced 6 years ago: 90 minute morning ‘stupor’ until my brain came on after 2 cups of coffee.

I discovered the elbow vents on the mask ‘swivel elbow’ weren’t exhausting any air at all.

I quickly replaced the elbow with a brand new extra, and threw away the old elbow. It all seemed much better. I also purchased a new mask kit as a solution but it hadn’t arrived yet.

The new mask arrived with another new elbow installed & when I used it I quickly realized that elbow wasn’t emitting any air either. I switch to the other elbow and all good. I tried all combinations of new mask/ other elbow/ new elbow etc. always with same result of new elbow not working.

It just seems odd to me that I’d have an elbow problem out of the blue, then a brand new elbow ‘failed’ a week later.

My sleep doesn’t seem nearly as good as it was before all this started happening. The machine is maybe 3 years old. Any thoughts???

Recently

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Resmed elbow vents  |  Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:24 am

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: 12-20

The newer F20 masks have a diffuser partially covering the exhaust air holes. This is to avoid strong exhaust bothering sleeping partners and to make it quieter. The newer mask elbows DEFINITELY exhaust the CO2. It's called the Quiet Elbow. Read the specs https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... k-headgear

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Resmed elbow vents  |  Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:23 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Seems like there are a few people who seem to notice unwanted symptoms with the use of the new Quiet Air elbow and not have them with the old elbow.
Not a lot of people but a handful.
The new Quiet Air elbow definitely still vents the air but it doesn't feel like it compared to the old elbow.

Resmed switched to the new elbow and all the new masks will be coming with it. There will come a time when people won't be able to find or get the old elbow.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Resmed elbow vents  |  Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:59 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Glenn wrote:
I discovered the elbow vents on the mask ‘swivel elbow’ weren’t exhausting any air at all.

WOW, I didn't know that this forum reached beyond the grave.

Fact is, if the vents weren't exhausting any air at all, YOU WOULD BE DEAD.

That's what happens when you re-breathe your exhaled breath over and over... that's why plastic bags have warnings printed on them.