Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - New user with questions about AHI
FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:40 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

RangerDave
Unread post  Post subject: New user with questions about AHI  |  Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:47 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed Airfit F30i Full Face Mask Size M with Small frame
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10
Humidifier: Resmed Airsense attached
Pressure Setting: 5-15 cm

Actually, my question may be more simple. I have been on my CPAP at least 7hrs/night since September. Only waking up a few times when my back wants me to change position (generally twice in 7 hrs). I like my ew Resmed F30i because it allows me to sleep part of the time on my side with no to minimal leaks. Soft cervical collar fixed early leak problems. Sleep has been much improved.

Finally to the question: I'm on 5-15 cmH2O but average pressures have been around 7-8 cmH2O. My AHI's have been running 6-20 per hour with rare spikes to 30-40 per OSCAR. Seems to be mostly hypopneas. Will my AHI's go down eventually or does CPAP just allow me to sleep through them?

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New user with questions about AHI  |  Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:45 pm

PAP Mask: F & P Simplus
PAP Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: 12-20

Increase your min pressure to 7 and max pressure to 20.
Also..Download the Oscar software to fine tune your therapy.
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New user with questions about AHI  |  Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:59 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
Pressure Setting: Min EPAP: 8.0 Max EPAP: 11.0 PS Min: 3.0 PS Max: 8.0

Yes, it's likely you'll need to increase your pressure, but I'd really like to see some data before making any recommendations. You mentioned Oscar in your first post above, so please generate a daily page so we can see what's what. Probably a good idea to give us a "good"night and a "bad" one to see if we can pick any differences. Please format your pages according to the "organise" link in my signature.

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* Organise your Oscar charts

RangerDave
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New user with questions about AHI  |  Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:42 pm

Thanks for your suggestions about organizing my Oscar reports prior to posting. I am currently posting on my smart phone, but OSCAR and sleep data are on my computer. Consequently, I will switch my freesleepadvice.com questions over to my computer where I can follow the tips for reorganizing the charts before posting.

I should indicate that my sleep apnea hasn't caused any further symptoms since I started CPAP last September. I may simply be a recovering perfectionist.

optimalsleep
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New user with questions about AHI  |  Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:54 pm

PAP Mask: have a couple.... resmed p30i
PAP Machine: ResMed Aircurve 10 Vauto on S
Humidifier: HumidAir
Pressure Setting: IPAP 12 EPAP 11

raise your minimum pressure gradually, like .5 to 1 cmH20 a week. You can prevent events before they happen...it took me about a month and a half to eliminate OA. Give yourself some time to get used to the therapy. It takes time. Also if you sleep on your back events will be on the increase, try sleeping on your side. I use a tennis ball in a pocket t-shirt backwards. Nothing heavy to eat before bed, caffeine, if you need a sleep aid use melatonin, I use Ibruprophen PM..due to congestion.

RangerDave
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New user with questions about AHI  |  Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:07 pm

I love my Resmed F30i but I found Resmed's videos (designed for an international audience) to be of limited value. I could not get an answer from Resmed about proper mask size and fit beyond the colored fitting guide. I finally went to their website and logged in as a "provider." That's when I finally figured out that the black lines were the outside limit. I could have bought each mask to try them, but I didn't want to spend that much money.

RangerDave
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New user with questions about AHI  |  Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:09 pm

Also, I have found out that the seals seem to need replacement about every 30 days to avoid leaks.