Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - I Just Bought The ResMed Nasel 30 mask ( I need help please)
FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:00 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Moe_Howard
Unread post  Post subject: I Just Bought The ResMed Nasel 30 mask ( I need help please)  |  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:34 am

PAP Mask: Philips Respironics DreamWear nasel headgear with arms
PAP Machine: Res Med 10 auto set.
Humidifier: Yes
Pressure Setting: Minimum pressure is 11.2 and Maximum pressure is 13.8 ---E.P.R. is on off

I've used it for about a week, and have it set as a pillow mask. (as per the instructions, don't know why) Anyways, I love it other than the fact that I'm getting very high leaks (the unhappy red face on screen). My AHI 's are coming in at under 3, I know I don't have a mouth leak as I tape ), my EPR is off, and I have no issue with runaway pressure. Any Ideas? I was thinking maybe to change the settings from pillow to full mask, or nasal? Think that might help? I've enclosed 3 pictures for you to see.

Attachments:
Screenshot (30).png
Screenshot (30).png [ 184.85 KiB | Viewed 575 times ]
Screenshot (29).png
Screenshot (29).png [ 203.75 KiB | Viewed 575 times ]
Screenshot (28).png
Screenshot (28).png [ 196.12 KiB | Viewed 575 times ]
Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: I Just Bought The ResMed Nasel 30 mask ( I need help ple  |  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:07 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

Changing the setting to nasal won't fix the leaks being reported.
The leaks are happening because the mask is moving around on your face somewhat. Probably when maybe changing position or something like that since you tape your mouth shut (and I assume the tape isn't coming loose).

The reason it says to select pillows is more from the inherent resistance in the mask and the air space volume and venting...even though it isn't a traditional pillow mask. It's more like a nasal pillow than one of the traditional over the nose cushions that get the "nasal" mask selection.

It is very similar to the P10 mask in terms of fitting and headgear. In fact the N30 headgear will fit the P10 mask frame. You need to snug it up a bit....either by spreading the straps farther apart or closer together and using the little clip to tighten the strap a bit more.
If it's doing what the P10 did to me....that bottom back strap would often slide up the back of my head and end up pretty much at the top of my head next to the top strap. I don't have enough hair in the back to keep it from sliding up. So what I did to lessen the movement was position that lower back strap way down on the back of my head almost to the top of the cervical spine. That way when it did crawl up it had further to go before it caused a leak. There's a little bump on the bottom of the skull called the occipital protuberance and I put the bottom strap below that bump. Made it harder for the strap to slide up.

The way the pictures all show the N30 being fitted wouldn't work for most people......instead bring that bottom back strap much further down the back of your head so it can't move as much or at least has further to move before you get really bad leaks.

If you have much hair back there...pony tail over that lower back strap is an ideal thing to stop the sliding around.

Moe_Howard
Unread post  Post subject: Re: I Just Bought The ResMed Nasel 30 mask ( I need help ple  |  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:59 pm

Pressure Setting: Minimum pressure is 11.2 and Maximum pressure is 13.8 ---E.P.R. is on off

Thank you Pugsy for your response. I'll place the straps tonight as you mention.

Moe_Howard
Unread post  Post subject: Re: I Just Bought The ResMed Nasel 30 mask ( I need help ple  |  Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:35 am

Hi Pugsy! I hope all is well. I tried what you suggested about how I should place the straps on my Res Med Nasal 30, but it didn't work out for me. I guess my only solution is to return that mask. I thinking of exchanging it for a Fisher Paykel NASEL EVORA mask instead. My question is have you ever had any experience with the new EVORA? Any suggestions?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: I Just Bought The ResMed Nasel 30 mask ( I need help ple  |  Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:41 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

I am sorry but while I have seen a few pictures of the new EVORA I haven't actually got my hands on one to even try it on.

Did you use the adjustment clip thingy and tighten up the straps? You can do that as well as separating the straps. Shorten them.

Moe_Howard
Unread post  Post subject: Re: I Just Bought The ResMed Nasel 30 mask ( I need help ple  |  Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:07 pm

Yes, I tried that but my leak rate was still very high. I even tightened it up so much it felt like I got punched in my nose the next morning, so I finally decided to send the mask back . Too bad as I loved the way the cushion and mask felt. Anyways, I ordered the EVORA fit pack. I should get it in the mail by middle of next week. I can't wait to try it.