Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Source of Leak
FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:09 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

ErnieMcCracken
Unread post  Post subject: Source of Leak  |  Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:12 pm

Oscar was showing some regular leaking over a few months that I wanted to resolve. I originally thought it was the mask, but adjusting such and trying a few new ones did not work.

I decided to replace other parts, even though I had replaced everything 5 months ago. I have the Resmed S10, so I bought the Resmed resupply kit that includes a new heated tube, hydration chamber, and air outlet. Replacing these new parts fixed my problem. Great!

My remaining concern is that it seems the parts should have lasted longer. Is there one part that is more likely to have been the problem? Were there any adjustments to the old parts that could fix the leak.

Thank you.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Source of Leak  |  Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:56 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

The heated hose is probably the most fragile of those parts unless you drop the water chamber (which I have done twice) and damaged it...or maybe accidentally bump it hard against something.

My first suspect is always the hose. Tiny tear or hole especially if someone has pets in the house.
Or just wear and tear from frequent cleaning and moving around of the hose or use of one of those tube brush things. The more you fiddle with something the more you increase the chances of damaging something.

I had one ResMed heated hose that went through 3 machines and had over 20,000 hours on it before it got retired and the retirement was because I got a new machine and that heated hose wouldn't work on the new machine.

For holes in a hose...we can use duct tape or some other sort of tape for short term repair.

Leaky water chamber....nothing short of replacement as far as I know.
When I dropped the 2....nothing cracked so I couldn't see any obvious signs but once I added water I could slowly see where it was leaking from the seal. I did try several things to repair it just to see if it could be done. Nothing was successful...various glue and epoxy and silicone stuff...nothing worked. Ended up spending more money on the failed experiment than a new water chamber costs on Amazon.
I am extra careful with it though....I take great care not to drop it because if I drop it then it lands on hardwood floors. When I wash it out in the sink I take great care not to bump it against the faucet or side of the sink.

I know nothing about the air outlet thing other than where it is at.

If you didn't throw the old hose away you could easily try it one more night to see if the leak returns or not and you might get an answer to which part was the leak culprit.

Insurance (even Medicare) will pay for a new heated hose every 3 months.....in real life though they will last a lot longer than that with common sense care unless a pet gets a hold of it then all bets are off.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Source of Leak  |  Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:54 pm

PAP Mask: F & P Simplus
PAP Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: 12-20

My hoses last well over a year and they really don't wear out. I have used 3 ResMed
machines in 12 years and have never replaced a humidifier tub.

ErnieMcCracken
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Source of Leak  |  Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:58 pm

LSAT wrote:
My hoses last well over a year and they really don't wear out. I have used 3 ResMed
machines in 12 years and have never replaced a humidifier tub.

That is impressive. I have gone a long time without changing these parts in the past, which is why I am confused with the leak after 5 months. It does seem to be one of these parts (or air outlet).

ErnieMcCracken
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Source of Leak  |  Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:02 pm

Pugsy wrote:
The heated hose is probably the most fragile of those parts unless you drop the water chamber (which I have done twice) and damaged it...or maybe accidentally bump it hard against something.

My first suspect is always the hose. Tiny tear or hole especially if someone has pets in the house.
Or just wear and tear from frequent cleaning and moving around of the hose or use of one of those tube brush things. The more you fiddle with something the more you increase the chances of damaging something.

I had one ResMed heated hose that went through 3 machines and had over 20,000 hours on it before it got retired and the retirement was because I got a new machine and that heated hose wouldn't work on the new machine.

For holes in a hose...we can use duct tape or some other sort of tape for short term repair.

Leaky water chamber....nothing short of replacement as far as I know.
When I dropped the 2....nothing cracked so I couldn't see any obvious signs but once I added water I could slowly see where it was leaking from the seal. I did try several things to repair it just to see if it could be done. Nothing was successful...various glue and epoxy and silicone stuff...nothing worked. Ended up spending more money on the failed experiment than a new water chamber costs on Amazon.
I am extra careful with it though....I take great care not to drop it because if I drop it then it lands on hardwood floors. When I wash it out in the sink I take great care not to bump it against the faucet or side of the sink.

I know nothing about the air outlet thing other than where it is at.

If you didn't throw the old hose away you could easily try it one more night to see if the leak returns or not and you might get an answer to which part was the leak culprit.

Insurance (even Medicare) will pay for a new heated hose every 3 months.....in real life though they will last a lot longer than that with common sense care unless a pet gets a hold of it then all bets are off.

That you. Great tips throughout. I did keep the tube, and will test with new parts.

I was rotating two hydration chambers, and the leak was with both. Hence, they seem least likely problem. I will try these out at a separate time than the old tube.

I threw the air outlet out, so no way to test it.

Thanks again for your response.

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Source of Leak  |  Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:36 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed F20 N30i P30i, a F&P Simplus & soon to have Vitera
PAP Machine: I will likely tell the doc it's going to be ResMed Astral 150
Humidifier: Accessory Humidifier will be requested
Pressure Setting: 0 setting for now, soon to be using AVAPS settings

I was using my original heated hose at a 2 years and 3 months a few months before I had to park the ASV for good. The only part I change frequently is the inlet filter at monthly. About a year ago I had a humidifier tub was at a year and since I had to take the ASV with me for a surgery, I decided to pop in a new one off the supply shelf.

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Help
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Chart_Organization

ErnieMcCracken
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Source of Leak  |  Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:16 am

DeltaBravo3.8 wrote:
I was using my original heated hose at a 2 years and 3 months a few months before I had to park the ASV for good. The only part I change frequently is the inlet filter at monthly. About a year ago I had a humidifier tub was at a year and since I had to take the ASV with me for a surgery, I decided to pop in a new one off the supply shelf.

I typically only replace the filter regularly and agree that my situation is unusual. I am not sure what happened. I don't have pets. All I know is that Oscar was showing leaks that went away when I replaced the parts.

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Source of Leak  |  Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:28 am

PAP Mask: ResMed F20 N30i P30i, a F&P Simplus & soon to have Vitera
PAP Machine: I will likely tell the doc it's going to be ResMed Astral 150
Humidifier: Accessory Humidifier will be requested
Pressure Setting: 0 setting for now, soon to be using AVAPS settings

Glad you got it figured out. Best to ya.

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Help
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Chart_Organization