Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - General question about leak/large leaks
FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:53 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Audacity17
Unread post  Post subject: General question about leak/large leaks  |  Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:49 am

If my AHI is around 5 or less, and Oscar doesn't show me having a large leak, do I need to worry about minimizing leaks at all? If I have a leak, but not a large one, will trying to reduce it improve my AHI? I assume that every machine has a certain leak number...is that right? Thanks in advance.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: General question about leak/large leaks  |  Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:43 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

If you aren't seeing any large leak flagging or if you do and it's brief...and even small leaks are NOT waking you up...I wouldn't worry about the leak.
These machines can compensate for considerable excess leak and if the machine isn't flagging a large leak (and it would show in OSCAR) then whatever small leak that might be happening isn't anything the machine can't compensate for.

Now if even a tiny leak is waking you up and disturbing your sleep then you would want to try to fix it because it is disturbing your sleep because anything that disturbs our sleep is unwanted.

Now an AHI of around 5 or so....I might not be happy about it depending on what kind of events are being flagged and WHEN they are being flagged. It might be that the bulk of the flagging is at the beginning of the sleep session or the ending and you are awake and if you are awake they don't count.

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: General question about leak/large leaks  |  Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:58 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed F20 N30i P30i, a F&P Simplus & soon to have Vitera
PAP Machine: I will likely tell the doc it's going to be ResMed Astral 150
Humidifier: Accessory Humidifier will be requested
Pressure Setting: 0 setting for now, soon to be using AVAPS settings

I'd echo what Pugsy has.

Typically how I advise regarding leaks takes into account brand and type of machine you're running, if any are Large leaks or not, and if they are disrupting your sleep and therapy. If they can be described as not disrupting your sleep, are reasonably controlled, and within the range the machine can compensate, I opt to let it go. Emphasize comfort over tightness or leak control always.

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Help
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Chart_Organization