Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Tired and no energy with cpap
FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:04 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

bdh60
Unread post  Post subject: Tired and no energy with cpap  |  Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:32 pm

PAP Mask: Res Med Airfit F20
PAP Machine: Phillips Resp Dreamstation
Humidifier: Dreamstation Hum Care
Pressure Setting: 8 to 16

Hi I am new to this site and just trying to figure out why I don't have any energy and feel tired all the time. I have been useing my cpap for approximately 3 years and the only thing that I have noticed is it helps me fall asleep quicker and I am able to sleep about 3 hours before I wake up as where before cpap I would be awake within 1 hour of going to sleep and than continue to be awake every hour the rest of the night. My wife always said I have never seen somebody make a job out of sleeping,I have had two sleep studys done with the first one being a disaster as in the nurse put the mask on me and had the air pressurre turned up high and I felt like I was going to suffocate but did manage to find out I was awake 21 times an hour and the seccond study I was awake 13 times and hour on my side and 65 times an hour on my back. I ws given the dreamstation machine and it was set at 8 to 16 auto and I have been using it that way since I got it.
Anyway I went on youtube the other night and typed in still tired useing cpap and I found out about this site and I have tryed changing my settings and havn't noticed much difference so I am curious as to how to find a good setting to try and how long I should try the pressure or setting until I might notice a difference. Two things to add are I am not very good about going back to the dr. and secondly I am not very good with computers or electronics so I have just left the machine alone and than I decided that I should be trying to get better so I am not so exhausted.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Tired and no energy with cpap  |  Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:25 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

Do you take any medications of any kind? Even OTC?...if so, what.
How many hours of sleep do you average?
Are those hours fragmented with a lot of wake ups.

We can't possibly offer any ideas without more information so go get OSCAR and hopefully you have a SD card in your cpap machine to have data on it.

OSCAR https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... stallation
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... rpretation

Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Tired and no energy with cpap  |  Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:14 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
Pressure Setting: Min EPAP: 8.0 Max EPAP: 11.0 PS Min: 3.0 PS Max: 8.0

G'day bdh60. Welcome to the forum.

Just following on from what Pugsy said, it would be good to get information on your baseline condition (ie without the machine). Please post a copy of your sleep study report - the full report with charts and tables, not just the summary. Make sure you erase any personal ID before uploading.

Second, get hold of Oscar and upload a daily page screenshot. The instructions are all in my signature below.

Finally, have you had a general medical check-up lately? There are lots of conditions besides apnea which can cause lethargy and tiredness, including vitamin D deficiency, poor thyroid function, anaemia etc etc.

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* Organise your Oscar charts

bdh60
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Tired and no energy with cpap  |  Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:16 pm

PAP Mask: Res Med Airfit F20
PAP Machine: Phillips Resp Dreamstation
Humidifier: Dreamstation Hum Care
Pressure Setting: 8 to 16

Attachment:
2020-10-05 (3).png
2020-10-05 (3).png [ 218.8 KiB | Viewed 133 times ]

Attachment:
2020-10-05 (2).png
2020-10-05 (2).png [ 224.99 KiB | Viewed 133 times ]

Attachment:
2020-10-05 (1).png
2020-10-05 (1).png [ 238.76 KiB | Viewed 133 times ]

Attachment:
2020-10-05.png
2020-10-05.png [ 249.35 KiB | Viewed 133 times ]

I know that it has been a while, but my daughter was able to come home from college and had some time to help me with this process. To follow up with Pugsy's questions: no I do not take any medications of any sort except a vitamin D pill, I sleep at most 6 hours, and I maybe wake up a few times during the night. To answer Respirator99's question: I had a complete physical last November (2019) and everything came back just fine. If someone could look at it and let me know what you find as well as some pointers, that would be great. Thanks.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Tired and no energy with cpap  |  Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:10 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

You need more minimum and maximum pressure.

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Tired and no energy with cpap  |  Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:27 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed F20 N30i P30i, a F&P Simplus & soon to have Vitera
PAP Machine: I will likely tell the doc it's going to be ResMed Astral 150
Humidifier: Accessory Humidifier will be requested
Pressure Setting: 0 setting for now, soon to be using AVAPS settings

I agree. You can see on the pressure chart your 16 is not high enough as it flat tops frequently, indicating it needs more headroom. The high hypopnea are indicative of not enough air on the low end to address these.

I'd consider 10-20 as a possible edit. It will not hit 20 unless it needs it. And as you're on a Respironics, the low pressure needs set right on top of therapy needs or it misses events, causing therapy to be poor.

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Help
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Chart_Organization