id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Interesting CA and leak rate OSCAR pattern
FAQ
It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:00 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Dog_Tired
  Unread post  Post subject: Interesting CA and leak rate OSCAR pattern  |  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:53 am

PAP Mask: AirFit N30i w/Caldera Releaf collar
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto
Pressure Setting: APAP 8.6-14

More of a curiosity than anything else. At all of the CA events on my results, at the beginning of the episode, the leak rate drops to zero, flow rate spikes, along with mask pressure.

Does this indicate a short gasp or inhale just before I stop breathing? Is that why zero leak?

Also, I scanned through my entire chart zoomed in today, and I see more of this type of pattern that are not classified by the machine at all. It's quite interesting to see what else is going on outside of the actual events that are marked.

Attachments:
Screenshot 2020-09-28 at 08.34.10.png
Screenshot 2020-09-28 at 08.34.10.png [ 248.59 KiB | Viewed 401 times ]
DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Interesting CA and leak rate OSCAR pattern  |  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:56 am

PAP Mask: F&P Vitera & Simplus, ResMed F20 N/P30i & old Amara View
PAP Machine: NIV ResMed Astral 150 soon
Humidifier: Accessory to be included to use with Astral
Pressure Setting: Will run iVAPS ResMed's variant on AVAPS

I see a sharp exhale in this zoomed example on the Flow Rate then the CA flagged area with small ripples of Flow Rate and mask pressure. A thing to note about CA interactions and any machine other than an ASV like what I had last is that they respond by "doing nothing" to the CA event. Partly because if it's a real CA, these machines would want to increase pressure in a way that may increase or strengthen a CA event. The ASV is the only one currently programmed to address CAs. So your machine is very likely doing what it should during a CA...nothing or dropping pressures. It looks to me that pressure was riding around 8.2 until the zoomed in CA, where at that time the machine is backing off the pressure, likely headed back to Min of 7.4. See the downward slope on the pressure green line? This indicates it's backing down. Lowering the pressures probably accounts for the leak drop too.

You have a small number of events spread through the 7:44 sleep session. Are these disrupting sleep or is it just info searching? The reason I ask is unless these disrupt sleep, in light of good treated numbers, it's not advisable to adjust for things unless disruptions exist.

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Help
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Chart_Organization

Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Interesting CA and leak rate OSCAR pattern  |  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:34 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
Pressure Setting: Min EPAP: 8.0 Max EPAP: 11.0 PS Min: 3.0 PS Max: 8.0

I agree with Dave - the number of CAs you're getting doesn't warrant any particular intervention.

My guess regarding the event you highlighted is that you reacted to the mask leak and moved or repositioned the mask, taking a big breath as you did so, thus triggering the CA. IMHO there's nothing to worry about.

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* Organise your Oscar charts