id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Getting a prescription to buy a cpap machine online
FAQ
It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:58 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Garpunk
Unread post  Post subject: Getting a prescription to buy a cpap machine online  |  Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:10 pm

Alright, it’s 10 pm and I can’t sleep and I’m tired of dealing with the 10 year old hunk-o-junk I’ve had stuck to my face for the entirety of this year.

Lemme explain

I was working as an LDS missionary about a year ago when I developed severe sleep apnea. It’s something I think I’ve struggled with my entire life (Consistently waking up at 3 am back when I was 8, constant baggy dark circles under my eyes my whole life, etc) and gaining some extra weight put the problem over the edge. Some local church members were kind enough to give me one of their old cpap machines, but sadly it’s humidifier has broken and now sleeping at night is very rough. I was sent home from my mission during the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic, for fear that contracting the virus would complicate my situation. I don’t have any real medical insurance at the moment. I’ve been hopping jobs trying to get some insurance plan to cover a sleep test, but I’ve had no luck. I feel trapped every time I look up one of those nice, new cpap machines online. I feel trapped from the “prescription required” seal.

Please, can someone help me find a machine that has a working humidifier, or at least teach me how to get a prescription without paying massive amounts of money.

I’ve been struggling with this for a long time and to be perfectly honest I don’t know where else to turn. I’m praying that this community can help guide me in the right direction.

Thank you all, much love❤️

Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Getting a prescription to buy a cpap machine online  |  Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:16 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
Pressure Setting: Min EPAP: 8.0 Max EPAP: 11.0 PS Min: 3.0 PS Max: 8.0

G'day Garpunk, welcome to the forum.

We do things differently in Australia, so what I'm about to say is gleaned from various websites and forums.

Generally, you must have a prescription to legally purchase a CPAP for personal use in the USA. From the Sistemma site: The prescription can be written by any of the following care providers:

Medical Doctor
Doctor of Osteopathy
Psychiatrist
Physicians Assistant
Nurse Practitioners
Dentist
Naturopathic Physician (whatever that means)

We cannot accept a prescription written by any of the following practitioners unless the practitioner is also an MD or DO:

Chiropractor
Podiatrist
Optometrist
Psychologist

Some online dealers will provide a prescription service, usually associated with an at-home sleep study. Basically they send you a kit, you use it overnight, then they will provide a diagnosis and prescription. Often you can get a pretty good discount if you buy the machine from the same place you got the sleep study.

I have heard of dealers who will provide a script based on the Epworth Sleepiness Index (which is just a short questionnaire). This is worth searching for if your finances won't stretch to an at-home study.

Finally, you can always purchase on the second-hand market through sites such as Craig's List.

Buying a machine without a test is not a good idea, if it can be avoided. A well-run test will determine not only if you have apnea, but also whether you have obstructive, mixed or central apnea (which requires a different type of machine). The test can also pick up other respiratory and heart issues.

If you do go ahead and get a machine without a test (or even with a test) the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset is currently most-favoured machine available. It's not cheap, but the quality is a step above most others.

Hope this helps.

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* Organise your Oscar charts

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Getting a prescription to buy a cpap machine online  |  Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:28 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

Did you have a test to determine if you had Sleep apnea or not?
If you did, do you still have that paperwork?

What pressure did you use?

Where are you located right now?

Do you have a GP or PCP right now that you see for usual run of the mill medical problems?

Check with forum member LSAT. He dabbles in second hand machines and is trustworthy. I just bought a machine from him myself. They are easy to set up and care for and nothing you can't do yourself. For the stuff you might be unsure of we can help.