id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Chest pain with new cpap
FAQ
It is currently Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:55 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Jonoshanda
Unread post  Post subject: Chest pain with new cpap  |  Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:45 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit F20
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10 dishwasher safe
Pressure Setting: 7-12.2 APAP

I just got my second CPAP. I called my Dr. because the one I had broke. I got a Resmed Airsence 10 APAP. I use a F20 mask. Every morning, until noon my lungs hurt.I feel a little flutter in my chest, and it makes me cough. This makes me feel weak, and tired. I got the first study that’s the half night with CPAP. It confirmed I that I have obstructive, and central sleep apnea. The Dr. wanted to do a full night test to get my titration, and see if I need CPAP, OR BIPAP. Insurance would not approve the second test, but they approved a APAP machine. The settings are 4-20, response standard. Mode Auto set. What is causing me to have chest pain, and feel weak? It almost feels like I just got done running a marathon. I am also leasing the equipment from Aprea. They say there monitoring it, so they can let insurance know if I’m compliant. Of course I am. I’ve been on CPAP, for years. I can’t sleep without it.

Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Chest pain with new cpap  |  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:39 am

PAP Mask: Resmed Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
Pressure Setting: Min EPAP: 8.0 Max EPAP: 11.0 PS Min: 3.0 PS Max: 8.0

G'day Jonoshanda. Welcome to the forum.

The first rule is always - if you experience chest pains of unknown cause, seek medical assistance immediately. It may be nothing serious, but don't take the chance. See a doc or ER immediately.

Having said that, it's not unusual for people to experience some mild pain when first using xPAP therapy. In your case, it might be that the new machine is running at a higher pressure than you had previously. The 4-20 range you're on basically allows the machine to set pressures as needed, but most of us find a narrower range is both more comfortable and more efficacious.

Can I suggest you download and install the free software Oscar. Follow the links in my signature below to download the software and format the pages properly. If we can see your Oscar daily page it will help give more specific advice.

Finally, it would be interesting to see your sleep test report - especially the rate of central apnea. An APAP is not designed to treat central apnea, and you may need to consider a different machine.

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* Organise your Oscar charts

remoo1
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Chest pain with new cpap  |  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:50 am

PAP Mask: F30i N30i Bleep
PAP Machine: airsense 10
Humidifier: climateline
Pressure Setting: autoset 5-8

I agree' you need to narrow your pressure range. I would try 5-10 and inch the top number up until you see your AHI drop.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Chest pain with new cpap  |  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:31 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

I strongly disagree with changing anything until the data is seen.
What remoo1 is advising could be potentially harmful.

In the patient's profile he states is pressure settings are 7 to 12...so I assume he knows that.
The 4 to 20 are just the machine's default settings.

We first need to confirm what the machine is really set at and what it is delivering and if any apnea events are happening and if so...what kind because increasing the pressure isn't always the best way to go depending on what kind of event....and for some situations potentially dangerous and could make sleep apnea events worse.

So I would want to see what the old machine was set at if at all possible and for sure what the new machine is set at.

I especially want to compare any exhale relief settings along with seeing the data.

OSCAR https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... stallation
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... rpretation

Jonoshanda
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Chest pain with new cpap  |  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:18 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit F20
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10 dishwasher safe
Pressure Setting: 7-12.2 APAP

I have appointment with Apria on Tuesday. I will mention what is happening with them. I will also let my family Dr. know. I do have Oscar. However my computer is fried. I did let Apria know my old settings, and the Dr. prescribed those settings. That being said, since I haven’t had the 2nd test to nail down my titration, and what type of machine I need, Apria wanted to set those settings. My guess is to see what my averages are. I don’t know . Having this machine is better then nothing. I am going to take in my SD card for them to read. I will keep you guys up to date. Thanks for your help. I really do value your time, and help.

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Chest pain with new cpap  |  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:08 pm

PAP Mask: F&P Vitera & Simplus, ResMed F20 N/P30i & old Amara View
PAP Machine: NIV ResMed Astral 150 soon
Humidifier: To be included with Astral & heated single limb leak circuit
Pressure Setting: Will run iVAPS, ResMed's variant on AVAPS

If you're having chest pain, it's not something to wait until Tuesday. If you're having pain in the chest, now is when to get yourself checked. Apria is not a doctor and cannot treat you with medical treatment. They are not licensed to do that. They may have an RT, but he or she isn't the same as reporting to your primary doc or if needed the ER.

The thing others above have mentioned is what I'd back up. I would not adjust the PAP yourself if you don't know what you're doing. If we see the sleep study and OSCAR data then we know a lot more in which to advise.

Just a bit of info, if you are in the US, you are legally permitted to get the detailed multiple paged sleep study report under the rules in HIPAA. I would suggest getting it even if you don't post a redacted of personal info copy here for us to help you. Just be aware if you expect the doctor to monitor your pressures and PAP therapy progress, I'm afraid it likely will not happen. Docs and the DME monitor compliance only to get insurances approval to keep sending the checks.

Finally, with obstructive and central apnea, you may find CPAP/APAP not to be able or capable of treating central apnea, because they aren't designed to. BPAP without backup rate will very likely be much worse for your CA/central apnea. Only an ASV is specifically designed to treat CA and the rest too. All other machines can be set to avoid CA but they will not treat them. The importance of the sleep study data tells us what kind of CA they are, and it also mentions other types of apnea such as obstructive apnea, hypopnea, and flow limitations.

So it's your choice, we can help if supplied with the data. And welcome to the forum.

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Help
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Chart_Organization