Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - How and why did everything get so complex?
FAQ
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:12 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

Mau
Unread post  Post subject: How and why did everything get so complex?  |  Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:59 am

PAP Mask: Resmed Swift Nano FX
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 autoset
Humidifier: yes
Pressure Setting: 7-10

Back when the ResMed S8 CPAP was state of the art, my sleep therapy was easy and I usually had a decent nights sleep. I've been away for a few years and now it is complex without enhancing my sleep experience at all. I have lots of numbers and indices and many adjustments but the interface between my APAP and me seems impossible at this point. Finding a mask that will fit my face seems like a very long and expensive process. I don't have anyone near Jason's competence to consult with on a mask. It's basically been "full face mask is best. Here's a mask. See you in 2 months". It's a $100+ every time I try out a new mask - I'm on my 3rd.
ResMed F20 : felt like someone kicked me in the face - cheekbones hurt (does no one in testing have high cheekbones?) Medium cushion hit my bottom teeth and didn't cover edges of lips - more face ache) The large cushion was WAY too big (another $54 I'll never see again). Why is there so much hard plastic on masks? What is with that headgear that hits the base of your neck and gives you a massive neck ache?
Respironics Dreamwear Nasal Cushion: wanders around my face and I'm constantly waking up to adjust.
ResMed FX Nano: best so far and will continue to use this even though Sleepyhead seemed think I had more large leaks than with the Dreamwear.
Another problem seems to be that with the variable pressure, the ability to distinguish between a leak and apnea seem to be impossible. I end up woke up by the pressure shooting up. I do breathe then but is that really where you want to be in the middle of the night? You might as well just send electric shocks to wake me up to remind me to breathe.

Should I ignore all the data I can now access because I'm not feeling most of it gives me useful information. I would pay almost anything for a good nights sleep but it doesn't seem available for purchase. Does anyone else feel so totally frustrated that they want to throw the whole setup in the garbage and die quietly in their sleep?

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: How and why did everything get so complex?  |  Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:40 am

PAP Mask: Quattro
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 11-15

Mau wrote:
Back when the ResMed S8 CPAP was state of the art, my sleep therapy was easy and I usually had a decent nights sleep. I've been away for a few years and now it is complex without enhancing my sleep experience at all. I have lots of numbers and indices and many adjustments but the interface between my APAP and me seems impossible at this point. Finding a mask that will fit my face seems like a very long and expensive process. I don't have anyone near Jason's competence to consult with on a mask. It's basically been "full face mask is best. Here's a mask. See you in 2 months". It's a $100+ every time I try out a new mask - I'm on my 3rd.
ResMed F20 : felt like someone kicked me in the face - cheekbones hurt (does no one in testing have high cheekbones?) Medium cushion hit my bottom teeth and didn't cover edges of lips - more face ache) The large cushion was WAY too big (another $54 I'll never see again). Why is there so much hard plastic on masks? What is with that headgear that hits the base of your neck and gives you a massive neck ache?
Respironics Dreamwear Nasal Cushion: wanders around my face and I'm constantly waking up to adjust.
ResMed FX Nano: best so far and will continue to use this even though Sleepyhead seemed think I had more large leaks than with the Dreamwear.
Another problem seems to be that with the variable pressure, the ability to distinguish between a leak and apnea seem to be impossible. I end up woke up by the pressure shooting up. I do breathe then but is that really where you want to be in the middle of the night? You might as well just send electric shocks to wake me up to remind me to breathe.

Should I ignore all the data I can now access because I'm not feeling most of it gives me useful information. I would pay almost anything for a good nights sleep but it doesn't seem available for purchase. Does anyone else feel so totally frustrated that they want to throw the whole setup in the garbage and die quietly in their sleep?

Why not wear the mask you were wearing back then??? KISS

Mau
Unread post  Post subject: Re: How and why did everything get so complex?  |  Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:12 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed Swift Nano FX
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 autoset
Humidifier: yes
Pressure Setting: 7-10

Nice glib answer. Mask and other equipment no longer available. I'm glad you've got it all figured out for yourself. I feel so welcome on this forum now.

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: How and why did everything get so complex?  |  Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:47 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

Actually, I was wondering that, too, since you didn't mention it.

Why did your sleep doc think a FFM was the best for you? I started with a FFM, switched to the Swift FX Nano, which I liked, tried the Eson 2, which I also liked, however with all the straps I can't wear it for more than 10-14 days straight without throwing it off and switching to a more minimal mask. I tried the Swift FX pillows mask, I had no problem with the pillows, but liked how the Eson 2 had a filter to muffle the air and sound so I tried the AirFit P10 which is my current favorite mask of all time (it's only been 7 months). The P10 is does still have a breeze from the vented air, but it is less than the Swift and so much more quiet.

I hear you about the neck pain from the lower straps, Pad-a-Cheek makes an excellent strap pad for that. It cushions the base of the neck and includes the pads for the straps themselves as it is all one piece.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: How and why did everything get so complex?  |  Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:00 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Mau wrote:
Nice glib answer. Mask and other equipment no longer available. I'm glad you've got it all figured out for yourself. I feel so welcome on this forum now.

It's not a glib answer, it's a valid question, and if you'd tell what mask you used to use, it's possible someone might have one, or be able to say "well, the xxxx is very similar to what you had, that might be a good one to try.

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

Csoozy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: How and why did everything get so complex?  |  Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:38 am

PAP Mask: Eson 1
PAP Machine: Airsense 10 for her
Pressure Setting: 8-10

I'm having the same issue with masks lately and have spent more than I want on mask trials. I get a couple covered a year but have gone way over. Seems to me the ideal would be a custom made mask for each user but I can see how that wouldn't be practical. :-)
I am getting tired of waking up to that red angry face on the front of my machine.
Hope you find a solution soon.