Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Can't EVER get a mask that doesn't leak!
FAQ
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:18 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

sross512004
Unread post  Post subject: Can't EVER get a mask that doesn't leak!  |  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:46 am

Hi. I'm new to this forum but I found your YouTube videos and I was very impressed. I'm a 66 year old woman, I have CHF, sleep apnea, several lung problems, and I'm overweight. My problem is my mouth leaks and I have yet to find a mask that will prevent that. I cinch the straps tight, I leave them loose, it just doesn't seem to matter. Right now I'm trying the Oracle whatever it is 492 and that's not working. Previous to that I had the Fisher and Paykel mask of some sort. I'm sorry I'm not being very specific I have tried numerous masks and have no success. I've been on CPAP therapy for about 10 years now and the problem gets worse as time goes on. . I'm pretty much in non-compliance right now because I just can't sleep with the things so I'm getting two or three hours a night on my machine and that's about it. I know my face shape has a lot to do with it if I've lost a lot of weight even though I'm still very overweight and so my skin and face shape is just like mush.. So that doesn't help. Do you have any advice for me?

CobaltSky
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Can't EVER get a mask that doesn't leak!  |  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:46 pm

PAP Mask: Aitfit P10
PAP Machine: ResMed s8 Autoset II
Humidifier: H3i
Pressure Setting: 7

I have same problem. I am now using wide 3M micropore tape over my mouth and an airfit p10 nasal pillow mask. It sucks, but my leaks went to 0 and AHI is much improved.

sross512004
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Can't EVER get a mask that doesn't leak!  |  Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:13 am

I have actually thought about putting tape over my mouth of some kind. I actually tried Band-Aids one time but that didn't work I may go ahead and try the the micro pore take you're talking about.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Can't EVER get a mask that doesn't leak!  |  Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:52 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

The Oracle is probably the worst mask out there for someone with dry mouth issues because you have to mouth breathe with it.
I know people using it having to use an extra humidifier with both cranking out maximum humidity to keep the mouth half way moist.
Assuming a person doesn't have dry mouth from meds and doesn't have dry mouth during the day...it's the mouth breathing that dries out the mouth.
So to fix the dry mouth from mouth breathing one has to stop the mouth breathing or add one of those products on the market for dry mouth and they are hit or miss in terms of effectiveness.

So if you can use a nasal mask and tape your mouth so you don't mouth breathe....better chance of stopping the dry mouth that way.

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Can't EVER get a mask that doesn't leak!  |  Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:23 am

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

I had similar problems using a full face mask. I switched to nasal cushion, and now a nasal pillow mask. My mouth breathing has mostly subsided on its own, but when I am very tired or really congested, my mouth will still drop open so on those occasions I use tape. The tape seems to work better vertically for me rather than horizontally across my lips. I place it from just under my nose to well under my small chin.