FAQ
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:57 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

NpcCPAP
Unread post  Post subject: Easiest nasal mask to exhale with?  |  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:26 am

Using an apap, 4 low and 10 high with the flex set at 3. Using a dreamwear nasal mask but it's so difficult for me to exhale against I haven't been able to fall asleep with it. I have a thick beard, so I full face one won't work.

Is there a nasal mask that is actually easy to exhale against? Or any advice here? I'll lay there for an hour trying and it just gets my heart rate up trying to fight it so once in a while I'll stop and breathe through my mouth to try to relax.

Ifeelwaybetter
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Easiest nasal mask to exhale with?  |  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:24 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto
Humidifier: Adaptive, Heated Tube
Pressure Setting: 9.0 - 15.5

I've used the dreamwear nasal mask and liked it, but now using the Resmed P10 Nasal Pillows mask. I like it much better in many ways - it's very light, quiet, more stable fit, simple head gear, and just more comfortable. You might want to give it a try.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Easiest nasal mask to exhale with?  |  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:31 pm

PAP Mask: Quattro
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

Have you tried a larger cushion on your mask. Larger may have larger hole.

NpcCPAP
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Easiest nasal mask to exhale with?  |  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:34 pm

LSAT wrote:
Have you tried a larger cushion on your mask. Larger may have larger hole.

Yes, I have tried all the different sizes that came with the mask, and also ordered the other attachment which has the two ports that go in your nose.

I can inhale great, but I just feel like there needs to be a bigger exhaust port

Daniel Gagner
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Easiest nasal mask to exhale with?  |  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:32 pm

PAP Mask: Respironics Dreamwear nasal
PAP Machine: Respironics Dreamstation 500
Humidifier: respironics
Pressure Setting: 9=13

Hey, For the first time a couple of nights ago, I turned off 'FLEX". I use flex-A. It's supposed to ease the pressure. I have a Phillips dreamstation and their dreamwear nasal mask. Anyway, I had a horrible time. I noticed it right away. Exhaling was a chore. I decide to put up with it and did fall asleep like that but in the morning I realized that I felt that I had been working against the machine all night.

So last night I turned flex back on and exhaling was very comfortable. It seems to moderate the pressure on exhaling. Maybe that's your solution? Dunno, I just thought I'd share this with you.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Easiest nasal mask to exhale with?  |  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:23 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Actually the relief that Flex offers won't/can't even kick in and help with the 4 cm starting pressure.
Flex requires that the pressure be at least a minimum of 6 before it engages.

I know this will sound weird to you but try this while awake and under no pressure to go to sleep..see if it helps or not.
Change the minimum pressure to 6 cm...don't use ramp because that kicks it back down to 4...and try the Flex setting of 3 and maybe even 2 and see what feels the best.

A lot of time it's not so much difficult to exhale as it is there just isn't enough air movement and it gets perceived as trouble exhaling because you can't move enough air.
Changing to a minimum of 6 will move more air and also let Flex help you out. Right now Flex isn't even working while you are awake at the pressure of 4. It doesn't engage until you are asleep and the machine maybe increases the pressure to 6 or more.

NpcCPAP
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Easiest nasal mask to exhale with?  |  Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:28 am

Pugsy i will give this a shot tonight and let you know how it goes!

NpcCPAP
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Easiest nasal mask to exhale with?  |  Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:31 am

That actually made it way harder because the machine seemed to want to kick the pressure right back up before I completely exhaled

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Easiest nasal mask to exhale with?  |  Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:14 am

So which Flex setting did you use that caused it to increase sooner than you wished? Did you try all the available settings?
Did you try turning Flex off?

Flex is more about timing which is what it sounds like you are having issues with.
Have you just tried spending some time using the machine and breathing with it and not be under the gun to fall asleep....like while watching TV for a couple of hours or reading a book.

If you are having extreme difficulty exhaling against 4 cm pressure then you need to be having a chat with your doctor about your issues because even children can exhale against more pressure than that.
Need to rule out other issues and discuss a different type of machine that is more customizable in terms of available exhale relief than what you have available with this current machine.
A different mask is unlikely to do the trick but you could maybe try something else just to make sure.

Maybe try the F & P Brevida as it's cushion is about as soft as they come.

ajack
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Easiest nasal mask to exhale with?  |  Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:23 pm

Google peep, what happens with cpap is that the pressure keep the alveolar slightly inflated. So it feels that you don't fully exhale. You are getting enough air in and out, just relax and don't try to breathe out, let it happen.

Also use sleepyhead program to see your results, As you adjust to cpap therapy, you may need more than the min 4cm that you now have.

NpcCPAP
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Easiest nasal mask to exhale with?  |  Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:16 pm

I tried flex at 2 and 3 I did not try it at 1 or off.

I don't feel it's the fact 4cm is hard for me to exhale against, I feel that I have a large lung capacity being a bodybuilder, combined with the CPAP giving me a deep breath and the issue comes from the mask having such a tiny exhaust port. If I have the machine off, breathe in through my mouth and out through my nose it's still tough because there's such a large volume of air trying to go out a tiny port that's maybe a 1/2"x1/8"?

The issue with trying to wear it for hours before going to bed is such time doesn't exist in my day. By the time I'm done with my full time job, training clients, and my own lifting it's time to come home and just eat shower sleep.

Is there any way I can properly enlarge the exhaust port or add more holes?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Easiest nasal mask to exhale with?  |  Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:41 pm

NpcCPAP wrote:

Don't go messing with the port or vent holes. If you do that it messes up the machine for leak reporting and perhaps even therapy effectiveness and results reported. You could potentially harm yourself.
We never ever mess with the venting...we don't block it and we don't make it bigger.

Talk to your doctor. That's all we can offer if the usual fix doesn't work and most people find that more air moving by using more pressure does the trick. If you aren't like normal people then you need to be having a chat with your doctor.

NpcCPAP
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Easiest nasal mask to exhale with?  |  Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:43 pm

Pugsy wrote:
NpcCPAP wrote:

Don't go messing with the port or vent holes. If you do that it messes up the machine for leak reporting and perhaps even therapy effectiveness and results reported. You could potentially harm yourself.
We never ever mess with the venting...we don't block it and we don't make it bigger.

Talk to your doctor. That's all we can offer if the usual fix doesn't work and most people find that more air moving by using more pressure does the trick. If you aren't like normal people then you need to be having a chat with your doctor.

Thank you. No doctor involved in this venture but I will continue to see what I can figure out. I managed to fall asleep with it once. Basically I waited until I kept dozing off and then put it on just as I was about to fall asleep.

NpcCPAP
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Easiest nasal mask to exhale with?  |  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:32 am

Problem fixed. I got the Fisher Paykel Opus 360 mask which has many exhaust holes right in front of my nose and it worked great! Slept with it the first night and it was a night and day difference.

I think it really was just lung capacity vs small exhaust port