Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Amara view maskand leaks
FAQ
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:44 am

Click this Affiliate Link to Support FreeCPAPAdvice when buying from Amazon. Easiest way to support us!

Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Mikkik1
Unread post  Post subject: Amara view maskand leaks  |  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:06 pm

PAP Mask: Airfit 10 full face mask
PAP Machine: Air curve 10S
Pressure Setting: 10/4

I have to undergo some eye surgery and have been successfully using a airfit f20 mask for a long time. It restricts areas around my eyes so my doctor recommended an Amara view mask and gave me a sample. I use pressures of 10/4 on a bipap with 1 liter of oxygen only at night and when I tried the Amara view I kept on getting lots of air blowing up my face past my nose. Can you not use this mask with oxygen or am I not fitting it right. I noticed in lefty’s picture of mask that it was over not under his nose. Am I not putting it on correctly.
Thanks for any suggestions.

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Amara view maskand leaks  |  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:35 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

I believe there is the big open space that covers the mouth, then a barrier with a hole in it for your nostrils to be over. Hope that helps.

arty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Amara view maskand leaks  |  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:29 pm

Mikkik,

There is a pretty good video at this link explaining how to fit the mask https://www.usa.philips.com/healthcare/ ... -face-mask

I can only get a good seal with my Amara View when I use mask liners. I started with liners from Remzzzs http://remzzzs.com/ Once I got them to work I used one of the liners as a pattern (transferred to a piece of cardboard as a template) and now I make my own liners from old tee shirts.

It does take me several minutes each night with pressure on to finally get the leaks to stop. The Amara view has been the only mask I have been able to stick with. Like the video above says, the intent is to have your mouth partially open. I get leaks if I close my mouth.

Good Luck

Art

ToothyGrin
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Amara view maskand leaks  |  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:21 pm

PAP Mask: Dreamwear pillows
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10
Pressure Setting: 4-20

My question is about Amara view minimal contact mask. the rounded sides that form the mask's contact with one's face "unfurls" causing immediate leak. I pull the mask off my face a few times to let it recurl to it's intended position. But is there a way to prevent this particular cause of leak? Thanks!

pollon
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Amara view maskand leaks  |  Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:16 am

See padacheek.com
You can try mask liners for amara view
I use It for My symplus mask It saved my face

BigZZz
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Amara view mask and leaks  |  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:23 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirTouch F20
PAP Machine: Phillips Respironics Dream Station
Humidifier: heated attached to the APAP
Pressure Setting: 11-15

I've really been trying to like the Amara view for the last couple of months. I've two issues with it:

1) The mask slides around, most often in the direction of "up" so that the seal is barely hanging on to my lower lip for dear life. It gets even worse with the mask liners as the liner moves around independently of the mask movement! One morning I had the mask headed in the direction of my forehead and the liner around my chin.

2) The "quick release" clips release too quickly. I move around at night and I must have moved in such a way that one of the clips came unclipped. I woke up an hour later, according to the longest mask leak time from the phone app to a loud hissing noise. Which finally abated once I re-clipped it. I got up to go the the bathroom since I was half-awake at that point anyway. When I got back, the rest of the night wasn't as restful, as there was this little "thread" of wakefulness running, listening, wondering if the mask was still in position or not. Not good.

Yes, I've tried adjusting the straps to varying degrees of tightness and looseness, with results that have a mask fit generally north of 90%, but hitting 100% or the immediate vicinity has come more of a surprise than a place I visit with regularity. Which is what I'd like to be doing for maximal therapeutic benefit.

So, what to do? Any suggestions as to how to make this one work better? Or are there any suggestions for other masks in a similar style, ideally, or another full-face style that have fairly easy-to-remove clips but are less likely to undo themselves at night by the application of my subconscious genius? My first mask had magnets, rather than clips. For those things to stay in place all night? Ha! As they say in Brooklyn, "fugghedaboudit." ;)

Thanks in advance.

jaw2004
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Amara view maskand leaks  |  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:59 pm

PAP Mask: Respironics Dreamwear Nasal mask/Quattro FX for Her mask/Amara View
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 for Her
Pressure Setting: APAP... standard algorithim 9-14

I love the Amara View mask...IMHO, the headgear is terrible. Neither my husband or I could get the headgear to work for us. I kept getting leaks and headaches from the headgear not fitting well.

On a lark...I tried the headgear I had from a ResMed Quattro FX. I had to use that mask with a small headgear, so had the extra regular/standard headgear left over. I was able to adapt the ResMed headgear to use with my Amara View mask and it all worked much better for me.

I reached out to Respironics about making a small headgear for the Amara View....I don't think the rep could ever get past the fact I was using a competitor's headgear with their mask. <sigh>

I'm now using the F20 Airfit most of the time. I started with the small cushion as fitted by my sleep doc, but even with Boomerang pads, kept getting pressure sores after just 1 night over the bridge of my nose. Finally tried the medium cushion and while it's a bit on the large size around my jawline...it doesn't leak and I don't get pressure sores or lines when using the boomerang pads.

I wish there was a way I could just buy the material to make my own headgear. I have found several masks & cushions that seem to work...it's almost always the headgear that is the deal breaker for me.

Good luck...it's worth it...just takes time.

BigZZz
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Amara view maskand leaks  |  Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:10 am

jaw2004 wrote:
Good luck...it's worth it...just takes time.

Thanks for the encouragement. I woke up last night to a loud hissing - somehow I'd gotten the whole thing off of my head (again) so it was clearly to sleep, perchance to dream, blowin' in the wind! Next step is the ophthalmologist on Monday. I've read conflicting views of CPAP and people with glaucoma. One group feels adding extra pressure into the head isn't a good idea, another group feels the better sleep to be more beneficial. Film at 11, I guess. Sigh. :)

BigZZz
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Amara view maskand leaks  |  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:32 pm

And now for the "Film at 11:" According to the ophthalmologist CPAP pressure might be a problem with more advanced glaucoma. But the level I'm dealing with makes the CPAP more beneficial than potentially harmful. Nice to get a professional opinion, and am glad to have that little worry not be a worry anymore.

Now, I'm fortunate that the Mrs. took cosmetology training when she was younger as she cuts my hair and saves us a fortune. Pays for her indulgence at the salon. Hey, she deserves it. :) What I did notice was after the most recent haircut, the leak rate on my Amara View went way up. So I went back to the ResMed Air Touch F20. I've been getting 100% seal for a full week now! Woo-hoo! :) Reason, I think as Jaw2004 mentioned above, it's how the headgear fits that makes so much of the difference. Before, when my hair was thicker the ResMed mask wasn't fitting as well and the Amara did better, Reverse the length of the hair and the masks fit better the other way. Go figure. Just might have to keep shorter hair to keep this 100% fit rate going. Reasonable tradeoff, I think. :)