Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Calling all health tech geeks: Let's talk algorithms
FAQ
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:17 am

Click this Affiliate Link to Support FreeCPAPAdvice when buying from Amazon. Easiest way to support us!

Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

WanderLit
Unread post  Post subject: Calling all health tech geeks: Let's talk algorithms  |  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:42 pm

PAP Mask: Dreamwear nasal cushion
PAP Machine: AirSense 10 ForHer
Humidifier: built-in
Pressure Setting: 8 cc H2O

I'm interested in learning about the different algorithms used by different AutoPAP machines.

Just when I thought I was hot stuff for having a grip on the difference between the standard algorithm and the "for her" algorithm in the ResMed AirSense 10, I read that the Phillips Respironics standard algorithm is considered by some as "more aggressive" than the AirSense 10 "standard" algorithm. (Which means there is really no "standard" algorithm at all, just different algorithms with their own quirks and different machines executing them resulting in different user experiences.)

So where can I learn about the differences in the algorithms of specific machines? Right now, I'm interested in comparing the AirSense 10 Auto "For Her" algorithm with the DeVilbiss IntelliPAP 2 "PureView" algorithm.

Any suggestions?

PS- Hi Jason. Is there a reason that you don't have a series of CPAP machine reviews like you do mask reviews? Not a criticism - I mean, it's not like you don't do plenty for all of us trying to figure out this sleep apnea thing - I'm just curious about your creative decisions as a content creator. Thanks for all of this. You make the looooooooooong wait for my sleep clinic intake easier to pass.

~Eve Ensler

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Calling all health tech geeks: Let's talk algorithms  |  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:55 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

WanderLit wrote:
I'm interested in learning about the different algorithms used by different AutoPAP machines.

Just when I thought I was hot stuff for having a grip on the difference between the standard algorithm and the "for her" algorithm in the ResMed AirSense 10, I read that the Phillips Respironics standard algorithm is considered by some as "more aggressive" than the AirSense 10 "standard" algorithm. (Which means there is really no "standard" algorithm at all, just different algorithms with their own quirks and different machines executing them resulting in different user experiences.)

So where can I learn about the differences in the algorithms of specific machines? Right now, I'm interested in comparing the AirSense 10 Auto "For Her" algorithm with the DeVilbiss IntelliPAP 2 "PureView" algorithm.

Any suggestions?

The Respironics is *less* responsive (I'm not sure if 'aggressive' is the right term) than Resmed, often sitting around with it's thumb up it's butt while the user is having problems... That's one reason that resmed users can often get away with lower min pressure than respironics users.
Here's some stuff to keep you busy and hurt your brain a bit, this chart:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... der-8-425/
from this study:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4629962/
ought to answer some of your questions. :)

WanderLit
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Calling all health tech geeks: Let's talk algorithms  |  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:01 pm

PAP Mask: Dreamwear nasal cushion
PAP Machine: AirSense 10 ForHer
Humidifier: built-in
Pressure Setting: 8 cc H2O

OMG! This is EXACTLY what I was hoping existed.

Thanks a lot.

~Eve Ensler

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Calling all health tech geeks: Let's talk algorithms  |  Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:41 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

WanderLit wrote:
Hi Jason. Is there a reason that you don't have a series of CPAP machine reviews like you do mask reviews? Not a criticism - I mean, it's not like you don't do plenty for all of us trying to figure out this sleep apnea thing - I'm just curious about your creative decisions as a content creator. Thanks for all of this. You make the looooooooooong wait for my sleep clinic intake easier to pass.
There are two reasons I haven't really done machine reviews (other than some on changing the pressure).

1. Getting machines is much more expensive and difficult than getting a mask. I have asked the company that sponsors some my videos (cheapcpapsupplies.com) and they sound like they are agreeable to help me out with this for some videos.

2. I haven't been real motivated to do this because my philosophy on CPAP and modes of therapy makes it somewhat irrelevant. Here it is as concise as possible. APAP is great for about a month or so when getting started and the pressure isn't certain, or after a PAP user has been on therapy and hasn't been tested for 2+ years, or has gained or lost 20lbs. (how is that for a run on sentence?)

APAP is great for checking if your pressures are correct. I think that CPAP is better as a form of treatment. The constant adjustments seem to cause more problems than they solve. I am a proponent for people to have an APAP machine, but used in CPAP Mode or with a very tight range.

This is just my philosophy, but I guess that's what my channel is all about! :) That might be a helpful video for more people than I realize. I might have to put that on my "list", so thank you for the new spin on a topic I've previously avoided.

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

Crappy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Calling all health tech geeks: Let's talk algorithms  |  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:58 am

PAP Mask: DreamWear / ResMed Airfit F20 FFM / F&P Simplus /And More
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset / HDM Z-1 Auto /PRS1 560
Humidifier: Yes it has one, It's Built in.
Pressure Setting: 10-13 APAP, No Ramp, EPR 3 / 10-13 on the HDM Z-1 Auto

Every time I think of the Phillips Respironics algorithm I picture a VW Micro Bus driving around slow looking for a taco stand. :lol:

Does it work? Yes it does, but it's not in any hurry.

Attachments:
IMG_6001.JPG
IMG_6001.JPG [ 280 KiB | Viewed 813 times ]
CPAPCyborg
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Calling all health tech geeks: Let's talk algorithms  |  Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:59 am

PAP Mask: Fisher & Paykel Simplus Full Face Mask Small
PAP Machine: Phillips Respironics System One APAP with A-Flex
Humidifier: PR System One 60 Series Heated Tube Humidifier with Heated Tube
Pressure Setting: 10 to 20 cmH20

Speaking about algorithms, I recently bought a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her from eBay. I've been using a PR System One Auto for over a year and can tell from SleepyHead that it does it's best to keep up with my obstructions. With hearing good things about the AutoSet For Her algorithm I'm hoping that finally jumping onto the ResMed bandwagon this will really improve my therapy by leaps and bounds.