FAQ
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:11 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

Ms.OwLMooN
Unread post  Post subject: Resmed AirCurve 10 S versus AirCurve 10 VAuto.  |  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:42 am

PAP Mask: Resmed Air Fit F20
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto
Humidifier: HumidAir Heated Humidifier
Pressure Setting: Low - 12 High - 25

Last time I went to see my doctor I told her that I had problems with exhale relief with CPAP so she suggested BiLevel and told me that she would find one for me that has more options than just using EPR.

So I received the Resmed AirCurve 10 S BiLevel machine from the medical supply place and was told by the Medical Supply Rep that the 10 S was basically a standard BiLevel compared to the AirCurve 10 VAuto BiLevel.

I don't understand why she made that choice and I'm going to talk to her about it.

Which one is the better of the two?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Resmed AirCurve 10 S versus AirCurve 10 VAuto.  |  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:09 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

The S model has 2 modes of operation
CPAP mode (fixed single pressure)
Bilevel mode (fixed bilevel pressures)...it won't or can't auto adjust

The VAuto model has 3 modes of operation
Bilevel mode (fixed bilevel pressures)
so these 2 just like the S mode
but the Vauto has a 3 mode of operation
Auto Bilevel mode which means auto adjusting bilevel pressures.

Of the 2 models...I always think 3 modes of operation is better than 2 because it gives a person more options.
If your pressure needs fluctuate a lot during the night for some reason or other then that auto adjusting mode can come in handy.
If your pressure needs never vary then that auto mode probably wouldn't be very important.

Ms.OwLMooN
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Resmed AirCurve 10 S versus AirCurve 10 VAuto.  |  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:40 pm

Pugsy wrote:

Of the 2 models...I always think 3 modes of operation is better than 2 because it gives a person more options.
If your pressure needs fluctuate a lot during the night for some reason or other then that auto adjusting mode can come in handy.
If your pressure needs never vary then that auto mode probably wouldn't be very important.

But even if my pressure needs don't fluctuate it still wouldn't be any worse having to use the Auto BiLevel one though right?

Well anyway I'm going to talk my doctor about it and see. I actually think that it was a mistake made by medical supply pharmacy.

Ms.OwLMooN
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Resmed AirCurve 10 S versus AirCurve 10 VAuto.  |  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:56 pm

Pugsy wrote:

Okay thank you. :)

I was also wondering about the AirCurve 10 S ST and the AirCurve 10 VAuto ST?

What does the ST mean for both?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Resmed AirCurve 10 S versus AirCurve 10 VAuto.  |  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:30 pm

There is no such thing as the AirCurve 10 S ST or the AirCurve 10 VAuto ST
The the various AirCurve models here
https://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/p ... vices.html

The AirCurve 10 ST has nothing auto adjusting in terms of pressure on it at all.
It has several modes of operation but nothing that will auto adjust the pressure.
Think of it as a ventilator type of device for people with special needs above what the regular bilvel devices like the S or VAuto models can do.

https://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/p ... 10-st.html

Ms.OwLMooN
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Resmed AirCurve 10 S versus AirCurve 10 VAuto.  |  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:44 pm

Pugsy wrote:
There is no such thing as the AirCurve 10 S ST or the AirCurve 10 VAuto ST
The the various AirCurve models here
https://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/p ... vices.html

The AirCurve 10 ST has nothing auto adjusting in terms of pressure on it at all.
It has several modes of operation but nothing that will auto adjust the pressure.
Think of it as a ventilator type of device for people with special needs above what the regular bilvel devices like the S or VAuto models can do.

https://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/p ... 10-st.html

Sorry for all the questions but what kind of speacial needs other than sleep anea?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Resmed AirCurve 10 S versus AirCurve 10 VAuto.  |  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 am

Special needs like central sleep apnea more so than obstructive sleep apnea (though they could be used for people with both) or someone with lung disease of some sort and they need extra help with keeping the volume of air moved more consistent since they also double as non invasive ventilators.

Invasive ventilator...think of a machine hooked to a trach tube in the throat and the machine actually does a regular breathing
vs
non invasive ventilator where just a mask is used and no trach is used

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Resmed AirCurve 10 S versus AirCurve 10 VAuto.  |  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:29 am

Side note...just having trouble exhaling against cpap pressure isn't a special need that would mean using one of those specialty bilevel machines like the ST or ST-A or ASV.

For people who just have trouble exhaling against the pressure the S or VAuto models will meet those needs. Those people can usually breathe just fine on their own and they don't have central apnea.
Trust me... I have tried the ST model machine in the ST mode where it forces a breath on a person...it isn't necessarily all that comfortable for the machine to give you a big burst of air.
From what I have read about your issues...I don't think that one of those high end specialty machines would help you and might make things more uncomfortable for you.
Your best bet is the AirCurve 10 S or the VAuto if you just have to have auto adjusting pressures.