Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Supply Replacement Frequency and Disposal
FAQ
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:55 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

SprManKalEl
Unread post  Post subject: Supply Replacement Frequency and Disposal  |  Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:06 am

PAP Mask: ResMed P30i
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Humidifier: The one in my machine

Hello. Even though I am new to this forum, I am not new to forums in general. I tried searching for any thread that discusses what I am about to ask and was unsuccessful.

I began CPAP treatment in August of 2019 so I am coming up to the 3 month mark. I know that the recommended replacement schedule is a new mask every 3 months, a new tube every 3 months and a new reservoir every 6 months. I use the the ResMed P30i Pillows and the recommended pillow replacement is every 2 weeks. This is why my DME has sent me 6 replacement cushions. My question is, do I REALLY have to replace the cushion every 2 weeks? There is no physical damage to the cushion itself and I wash it thoroughly every day. Also the rest of the supplies. I understand the importance of replacing the filter in the air intake, especially with 3 cats, but are the tube and reservoir replacement schedules that strict? What do you do with them when you are done? You can't just throw them in a landfill. That is a lot of stuff to just sit in the ground forever.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Supply Replacement Frequency and Disposal  |  Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:52 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Funny how the DME replacement schedule seems to coincide with how often insurance will pay for something. That's how DMEs make money....sell you stuff.

No...it isn't urgent to replace anything until it is either worn out or broken or torn.

Nasal pillows....can last months and months and months.
Hoses....years with common sense care.
Water chambers....years unless you drop it and break it (which I did twice).

As far as disposal...dunno...depends on if you are in an area where plastic can be recycled or not.

WSHenry
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Supply Replacement Frequency and Disposal  |  Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:29 am

PAP Mask: ResMed Airfit P10 or PR Dreamwear
PAP Machine: PR DreamStation Auto CPAP
Humidifier: PR DreamStation Humidifier
Pressure Setting: 6-15 cm H2O

I second Pugsy's comments, except to add that having a few spares is not a bad thing. I have damaged hardware on occasion, so appreciate being able to replace or rebuild devices quickly.

I find the pillows will last at least 6 months. The water chamber, if not damaged, will last for years. The hose is good for at least a year, with the only wear item being the loss of snug fit of the mask connector to the hose. I replace filters per manufacture's recommendations.

SprManKalEl
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Supply Replacement Frequency and Disposal  |  Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:35 pm

Wow! Thank you. It is strange how the recommended replacement schedule is exactly the schedule in which the insurance company provides the replacements.

So, I guess that it's really up to the discretion of the user as to when to replace these supplies. I have been very careful about the cleaning of the parts and am more concerned about replacing the sponge that I use to wash the stuff than the parts themselves. I mean, we use plastic food storage containers for years so, why do we have to replace the reservoir every 6 months? (rhetorical)

In any case, I appreciate the information and will use my judgement as to when to replace the parts with new ones.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Supply Replacement Frequency and Disposal  |  Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:07 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

SprManKalEl wrote:
Wow! Thank you. It is strange how the recommended replacement schedule is exactly the schedule in which the insurance company provides the replacements..

It's not strange at all.

Medicare came up with a "we won't buy people new xxx any more often than yyy'.

Many insurance companies adopted the same minimum replacement times.

Greedy DMEs, seeing that, decided "WELL, if we tell people to throw away perfectly good stuff as often as we can bill medicare/insurance, WE'LL MAKE MORE MONEY!

Not strange at all... just greed.

SprManKalEl
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Supply Replacement Frequency and Disposal  |  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:35 am

I guess I will just have to accept what I get and donate unused to supplies to those in need if I end up with an excess.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Supply Replacement Frequency and Disposal  |  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:26 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Or, you could do the *responsible* thing, and get a couple spares and then say "Stop pushing crap on me that I don't need".

SprManKalEl
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Supply Replacement Frequency and Disposal  |  Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:09 pm

I could but....I like to be prepared and have whatever I can get and on hand. LoL! Plus there are lots of people who don't get regular supplies, so if I can help out in any way, I feel I should.