Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Two full face masks leaking. Would appreciate advice
FAQ
It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:03 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

MysteryWriter
  Unread post  Post subject: Two full face masks leaking. Would appreciate advice  |  Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:01 pm

I'm new here. Just started CPAP about 3? weeks ago. I started off with the Dreamwear nasal-only mask which felt great at first....but unfortunately I have allergies and often end up with a stuffed up nose at night. So I thought, hey, I'll just get the full face mask parts from Amazon and that way I can take a deep breath through my mouth when I need to. (I don't normally breathe through my mouth and will actually wake up if I can't breathe through my nose).

It actually felt better to breathe with the full face one, but WOW does that thing leak out the bottom. So I got a smaller size because the medium seemed to sit ON my chin rather than just above it. Still leaks. :roll:

So I decided to get the AirFit F20 and felt thrilled with it the first night. It was great not to have to make sure the nasal part was perfectly under your nose. You just breathe. Then it leaked once my pressure got up to about 10+ :? So I got a small, and that leaks too. :shock: And yes I have tightened the straps to the point of which my head was throbbing and it was STILL leaking. Maybe I don't have the right face shape for CPAP masks lol. :mrgreen: :roll:

So, I'm back to the Dreamwear nasal one but since I can't depend on my nose to be open 100% every night, I can't be sure of having the correct pressure. So, I've been using a hybrid "temp" solution of using my molded mouthguard that pushes my lower jaw forward, and the dreamwear nasal option. This is not a good long term solution but my oxygen levels are the best (so far) this way.

I don't want to go back to the doctor and get more studies because I think, in the end, I have to figure out what works with MY face, in MY own bed, with my own pillow, etc.

TLDR: Anyone want to share their favorite full face masks that seem to have the least leakage? (share the name, that is....not the actual mask, lol).

dtn
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Two full face masks leaking. Would appreciate advice  |  Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:45 pm

PAP Mask: DreamWear FFM
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto
Humidifier: Yes
Pressure Setting: 14-18 cmH2O

I think you will find that nobody will be able to tell you what will work well / poorly for your face + sleeping style + pressure + everything else. My own experience required 5 masks to try to find one I liked, and even then I modified it. I decided I would need to just pay for several to determine what was optimal (I’m in Canada and most vendors don’t offer return policies on masks). I do see that in the USA several vendors offer various return policies, so trying different options might be easier with that.

Either way- it sounds like you’re on the right track by taking ownership of your experience. I personally tried the f20, f30, and all dreamwear options (in all sizes). For me the dreamwear full face mask was best. But that was just my experience and what works for you will depend and may be totally different.

For what it’s worth, I had a similar experience ... some things worked, others leaked, others hurt or just uncomfortable. To add another variable, I found some worked amazing for 1 night but after a week I had developed pressure sores / chaffing.

Good luck!

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Two full face masks leaking. Would appreciate advice  |  Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:06 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, DreamWear FFM
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

I like the DreamWear the best of all the FF masks I've tried (admittedly not THAT many). I found the F&P Simplus fine, but REALLY loud with the venting air. The AirFit and AirTouch F20 FELT better, but I could NOT stop the leaking around my cheeks. I tried the cloth FFM, I don't remember what it's called right now, but that didn't seal well. You can see from my profile that I have a high pressure, so there's that to consider, YMMV.
Don't get me wrong, although I can occasionally sleep with the DreamWear FFM as is, without it leaking, I use a headband around the bottom of the mask, under the venting holes and around my head, I use it like the Stabilizer from Pad-A-Cheek. My headband has those little grippy ripples which grab onto the plastic and keep it from slipping upward and blocking the vent holes.
I only use my FFM when I feel exhausted and know that I will be mouth breathing all night. Even then, if I wake up after a few hours I will switch to my P10 to finish off the night. So I don't feel the necessity to keep searching for a perfect FFM for me. I will probably try the F30 at some point, but I'm hoping they tweak it a little bit before I try it.

Good luck on your journey to better sleep, it may take a while, but when you get there, it will be worth it.

jeanie4062
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Two full face masks leaking. Would appreciate advice  |  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:23 am

PAP Mask: simplex small
PAP Machine: Dreamstation Auto with Humidifier
Pressure Setting: 12-16

I have found the cloth liners are the only thing that stops the leaks on me. I have tried just about every mask out there with the free return policy and simplus works but like they said noisy if you have the hose or pillow in front of it. the Airfit and Airtouch F20 work ok but they run small around the nose and I have to have the machine on or I feel the pressure on my nose. Once it is on about 9 or 10 it is comfortable. I did still have to use the liner on the Airfit. I use the blue washable liners and they work well.

farnsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Two full face masks leaking. Would appreciate advice  |  Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:51 pm

PAP Mask: F&P Vitera Full Face
PAP Machine: Dreamstation Auto DSX500
Humidifier: DSXHCP
Pressure Setting: 9

Tightness of the straps can be an issue. My Vitera leaked somewhat when I first started, so I tightened it down to try and fix the problem. I found that it leaked more. I finally realized you need to keep these things loose..the air pressure will hold the edges against your face. I have far fewer leaks now. I also disabled the ramp so it starts with my full 9cm of pressure. I *think* that helped as well.

To be clear, I'm not sure our leaks are comparable because mine were on the sides of my nose, blowing into my eyes, not at the bottom of my face.

Another thing to think about:I have to wash both my face and my cushion before bed. Face oil (of which I have plenty) makes it so it doesn't seal as well.

I just ordered some remzzzs (cloth liners). Hoping that will help me out, both with the seal and the face irritation I get from my full face mask. Like you, I have a lot of congestion, though with the humidification and heat dialed in, I have far less now than I had before CPAP.