Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Travel Machine
FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:39 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

OregonRob
Unread post  Post subject: Travel Machine  |  Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:06 pm

PAP Mask: Phillips Respironics Wisp 2
PAP Machine: Phillips Respironics Dreamstation
Humidifier: Phillips Respironics Dreamstation heated humidifier.
Pressure Setting: 10

Hey everyone,

I'm new here, coming over from the YouTube channel, and am seeking some advice in regard to a traveling machine.

So I'm looking to buy a cpap machine cash straight up, no insurance, and I've got the DreamStation already and love it, so naturally I've been looking at DreamStation Go, but it's very expensive.

Now, I of course live in Oregon, and don't find myself really ever using humidity unless I'm sick and need that little extra moisture since I use a nasal mask.

My big question or debate is do you think that getting a DreamStation w/o the humidifier is a good and less expensive alternative for traveling?

Thanks for the opinions and advice!

Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Travel Machine  |  Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:57 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
Pressure Setting: Min EPAP: 8.0 Max EPAP: 11.0 PS Min: 3.0 PS Max: 8.0

G'day Rob. Before thinking about what might be a good machine, it's probably better to think about the type of travelling you're doing. Are you staying in the USA, going overseas? What part of the world - Arizona in winter would probably demand a humidifier, while Singapore would not. Are you travelling by car / RV / caravan, in which case weight and bulk may be secondary considerations. Backpacking - as light and compact as possible.

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* Organise your Oscar charts

Shirley
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Travel Machine  |  Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:09 am

PAP Mask: nasal pillows
PAP Machine: Resmed P10
Humidifier: yes
Pressure Setting: 10/17

I have the resmed mini with battery AND solar panel. I have used them all and can recommend them. Resmed sells these little pucks that are good for 30 days in the travel CPAP. I have used them and they work. The puck "captures' the moisture in your breath and returns it to the airflow.

I can't recommend the system enough. I have used it during travel and remote camping. one sunny day is enough to charge the battery for 2 nights of use.

Good luck

RKGraves
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Travel Machine  |  Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:14 am

I'd like to add to this discussion & Thank You for your input.

I'm currently using an older Philips CPAP unit on my 17 ft sailboat. I'm looking for a replacement unit that is smaller and uses less power. My boat has 2- 31 Ah batteries that I rotate on/off a 20 watt solar panel. Each battery will power the Philips CPAP for 3 nights. In testing, with my middle-of-the-road pressure settings (no heated tube or humidifier), the unit draws 1 amp +/- in use (roughly 8 Ah/night).

One thing I like about the Philips units is that they can be directly powered off of 12 vdc. When looking for a replacement I am wanting the same - direct 12 vdc powerable. I believe there is power-loss in converting 12 vdc to the 24 vdc needed for some units. The only two brands I have found that will run directly off of 12 vdc are the Philips and HDM Z1 & Z2. Currently in my shopping the Z2 is at the top of my list.

I appreciate any thoughts or input regarding my setup, goals, your experiences.

Thank You,
Randy Graves
CdA, Idaho

OregonRob
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Travel Machine  |  Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:49 pm

thank you all for the replies.

As for my travel habits, currently, just simple camping in Oregon forests, and I stay over with friends and family at their house fairly often so having to pack my 1 machine and unpack is just inconvenient all the time. it'd be nice to have a 'grab and go' machine and know that when I get home I don't have to unpack to go to sleep if I'm exhausted.

I'm debating whether to get another dreamstation w/o the humidifier, or go dreamstation go.

RKGraves
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Travel Machine  |  Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:25 am

OregonRob,

My home unit is a Philips Dreamstation and I've been Very Happy with it (5 years using). The Dreamstation Go was on my short-list as a replacement unit for my boat. The unit I have on my boat is the older version, Philips System One (without heated tube or humidifier). Both my Philips units will run directly off of 12 vdc.

As both my units are older (and I had some health savings account monies that needed to be used by the end of the month) I went ahead and purchased an HDM Z2 Auto with a DC adapter, but I did not purchase the shell and battery pack.

In talking with HDM (very nice people) they indicated that the Z2 is not intended to run directly off of a 12 vdc battery. The issue is (same as with my Philips units) if the battery voltage drops below 12 vdc the unit will turn off. With the HDM shell and battery pack the chances of this happening are greatly reduced. I've experience this with my System One and to reduce the likelihood of it happening I keep my boat batteries in good condition, adequate gauge wiring, & short adapter leads. Before sleeping I'll power on the CPAP and run it full airflow for a bit and watch my battery voltage. If I don't see a strong 12.x or greater then I switch to by 2nd battery.

Knowing this potential problem I can see why HDM recommends the powershell + battery. Once my unit arrives I'll test it and then decide if I need to purchase the shell & battery. You can charge the shell + battery using the DC cable. Most people report 2+ nights usage with the shell & extended life battery.

My situation is different than yours but wanted to share my notes in case they might help.

Best Regards,
Randy Graves
CdA, Idaho

OregonRob
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Travel Machine  |  Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:12 pm

Thanks for the heads up...

I've been on the Dreamstation since I started in July 2017. I think that the fact that I've only had the 1 machine is the reason that I am such a loyalist to Phillips and the Dreamstation. It's easy to use. Since I'm avoiding the use of insurance right now (not sure how much it would actually cover anyways) price point is important to me... Dreamstation Go seems much more portable, but regular Dreamstation is much less expensive right now. Plus, if I get regular Dreamstation then I'm not having to buy different filters and such.