id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - my mask is mashing my nose
FAQ
It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:42 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

GunNut37086
Unread post  Post subject: my mask is mashing my nose  |  Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:35 am

My BiPap is set to 18/21 and nothing short of overtightening the straps on my Mirage Quattro could keep it from waking me up with the mask farting all night. The rigid shape just doesn't contour to my face, so I had bad leaks. I settled for the overtight straps for years, but it caused so many problems that I finally switched masks.

I now use an Airfit F30i that I learned about on the TheLankyLefty27 YouTube channel. It was great at first, but over time it has made my nose extremely sore. It took me a while to realize it was pushing my nose sideways severely. Maybe it's because I have a crooked nose? Regardless, it pushes my nose so much that my septum rubs the silicon and a sore started forming on the INSIDE of my nose from the rubbing. I had to switch back to the Quattro for a week to let the sore heal. My sleep quality fell off drastically with the hard full face mask. For the last 2 nights I've slept better with the Airfit, but my nose feels bruised from being mashed again.

I'm wondering if a hybrid mask, like a Mirage Liberty (see photo), would help. It seems it might help keep my nose properly aligned. Does that logic seem sound? Is there something anyone can think of that I'm not considering?

Attachments:
resmed-mirage-liberty-full-face-cpap-mask.03.jpg
resmed-mirage-liberty-full-face-cpap-mask.03.jpg [ 115.05 KiB | Viewed 457 times ]
DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: my mask is mashing my nose  |  Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:19 pm

PAP Mask: F&P Vitera & Simplus, ResMed F20 N/P30i & old Amara View
PAP Machine: RT says I need NIV ResMed Astral 150 soon
Humidifier: not now
Pressure Setting: wait for NIV

I think that by now you realize overtight aint right. You are thinkng correct on trying other masks as the one you had was either wrong sized or was just overall wrong for you. I don't know from experience that mask, so I don't have words of usage to advise specifically.

I have trialed Fisher & Paykel full face Vitera and Simplus, both are better than my old go-to mask the ResMed F20. So it never hurts to try another if the current mask is not working well.

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Help
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Chart_Organization

Mikkik1
Unread post  Post subject: Re: my mask is mashing my nose  |  Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:37 pm

PAP Mask: dreamwear FFM
PAP Machine: Air curve 10S
Pressure Setting: 10/4

I also use a bipap and have used the airfit FFM as well as the Quattro and like you, thought I was doomed to forever have strap marks on my face and sores on the sides of upper nose. I had a respiratory therapist recommend the relatively new dreamwear FFM. This actually sits under your nose against your nostrils. I thought with my pressures that it would be a disaster. Was I wrong! It’s been heaven, no more strap marks and sores are finally gone. If you decide to try it, make sure you get the fit pack as sizing is different, I use a small headstrap and medium mask, another nice feature is that hose connects to top Of head and swivels so if you are a side sleeper it’s great. No hose in front of face
. Good luck.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: my mask is mashing my nose  |  Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:43 am

PAP Mask: F & P Simplus
PAP Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: 12-20

I concur with DB....The Simplus and the Vitera are very comfortable masks. Neither needs to be tightened very much in order to form a seal.. After 8 years with the Quattro, I tried the Simplus and loved it. When the Vitera came out I had to try it. It appears to be a modification to the Simplus. I really didn't find much difference in the fit. I have both and I use both.