id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Best mask or pillow for large head
FAQ
It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:55 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

jacoby75
Unread post  Post subject: Best mask or pillow for large head  |  Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:54 pm

Hey gang,

I am new to the wonderful world of CPAP. I started therapy about a month ago and I am off to a bit of a rocky start. I have watched several of Jason's videos, and have learned a lot. I have tried a handful of different masks and pillows, with little to no success. My chief issue is being 6 ft 6, 400 lb, with a gigantic melon of a head and a full beard. I also typically sleep either on my stomach or on my side. I slept with a dreamwear full face mask during my sleep study, and it was awful. My hardware provider recommended trying a ResMed airfit full face. but with two different size masks so far, the leaks are unbearable. The stock ResMed airfit headgear was too small, but I ordered a large that fit better. But then I had issues with the masks leaking. I have had better success with The dreamwear masks and pillows not leaking as much but even the large frame is a bit snug, and the stock headgear is too tight. The headgear for the dreamwear full face mask is fine, but the shorter headgear with the plastic arms that comes with the two types of nasal pillows is too small. and I don't think using the full face headgear for the nasal pillows is a workable option. I don't see any options online for buying larger or extra large headgear for the dreamware frame and masks, and have not found any tips online for ways to maybe modify the headgear or frame to give me an extra half inch or inch of clearance. In terms of leaks, I have had better success with nasal pillows so far, but do mouth breathe at night on occasion as well, which is a separate problem altogether.

Do I have any fellow melon headed brothers or sisters out there who can recommend a particular type or style of mask or pillow or headgear to accommodate my record setting globe of a head?

Thanks

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Best mask or pillow for large head  |  Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:37 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

Take a look at the ResMed Swift FX nasal pillow mask or the F & P Brevida nasal pillow mask.
Both have headgear that is more expandable to fit your large size head better. More adjustments available in those masks.
The ResMed P10 nasal pillow mask is a sweet mask but the headgear isn't adjustable enough for a large head EXCEPT there is a different headgear that will fit the P10 that is adjustable. So you could get a different headgear that does allow for more adjusting and put it on the P10 frame.
If interested...let me know and I will figure out which it was...I can't find it at the moment. I am going to go look right now but I know there is a different headgear that is adjustable that will work on the P10.

Or take a look at the mask I use...the Bleep DreamPort mask. No headgear at all.
The mouth breathing thing...as long as it isn't causing massive prolonged leaks that wake you up often. Don't worry about it.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Best mask or pillow for large head  |  Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:51 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

Okay I found it.
The ResMed AirFit N30 which is a cradle cushion nasal mask has headgear that will fit on the P10 frame.
You can usually find the headgear separately on EBay or Amazon or you might look at the entire mask.
I haven't had a chance to try the N30 myself but the P10 is next to silent in terms of vent noise.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... h-headgear

There is a little thingy on the side that allows for more adjusting of the tension.

Or like I said earlier...look at the Bleep. No headgear at all and I know a lot of guys with beards and mustaches who use it.
Heck, Stuart the designer has a really nice goatee and uses it.
He's the guy in the middle picture with sort of bald head and the goatee.
https://bleepsleep.com/the-solution/

jacoby75
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Best mask or pillow for large head  |  Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:23 am

Pugsy wrote:
Okay I found it.
The ResMed AirFit N30 which is a cradle cushion nasal mask has headgear that will fit on the P10 frame.
You can usually find the headgear separately on EBay or Amazon or you might look at the entire mask.
I haven't had a chance to try the N30 myself but the P10 is next to silent in terms of vent noise.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... h-headgear

There is a little thingy on the side that allows for more adjusting of the tension.

Or like I said earlier...look at the Bleep. No headgear at all and I know a lot of guys with beards and mustaches who use it.
Heck, Stuart the designer has a really nice goatee and uses it.
He's the guy in the middle picture with sort of bald head and the goatee.
https://bleepsleep.com/the-solution/

Thank you. I may look into that P10. It seems well-regarded. I remember there was a video that Jason did where he said you could swap a headgear out with something, but among the multitude of videos I watched I couldn't remember which one it was. I'm pretty sure that was it.

I find the bloop intriguing. But the monthly maintenance of buying stickers might become cost prohibitive on our budget. But it's definitely worth a look.

Thank you for the feedback.