id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Humidifier not heating?
FAQ
It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:37 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

EnlightenMe
Unread post  Post subject: Humidifier not heating?  |  Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:16 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed Airfit F30i
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 (on Soft Mode)
Pressure Setting: 6-12

Me again. Question about humidifier. So the dolt at the DME gave me a 15-ft UNHEATED hose despite my machine being capable of using a heated hose. I'm noticing that the metal plate which I presume is supposed to heat the humidifiable water isn't warm. Am I once again misunderstanding how these contraptions work? If it's not heating, then I have yet another reason to fire my DME.

FWIW, I am trying to get an appt to pick up the ResMed 10 as recommended the afternoon of the day I return this Dreamstation so I don't have to be without a machine.

Thanks again!

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Humidifier not heating?  |  Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:03 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

Not having a heated hose doesn't affect the heating plate to the water chamber.

What is your humidity setting?
Turn it up to the max and turn on the machine and let it blow for about 15 minutes. Then stop the machine and pull out the water chamber and check the bottom of the water chamber....it should be warm to the touch. It won't be really hot though.

The heater plate cycles throughout the night so there might be times where it does turn off but if you do the 15 minute test you will know if it is heating or not.

EnlightenMe
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Humidifier not heating?  |  Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:49 am

Oops. Right. Didn't mean to imply anything about a heated hose/ warm humidifier connection other than the heated hose keeps the warmed air warm. Just was thinking of both.

I've read (in an argument for using a heated hose) that the heating element can affect the quality of the humidification - meaning a "3" using room temp water will generate less humidity than a "3" if the water is heated. IDK if that's true. Also gentler to your mucous membranes. I sometimes wake to a very dry, stuck-together mouth. I imagine that's just from mouth breathing or could it be because the air has cooled by the time it reaches my face?

I'm set at a 3. Higher and I feel swampy. Lower and I feel dry. As it is, I'm waking up plugged up every morning.

I did the 15-minute test and the water was warm. But probably not by the time it makes it up the 15-ft tube. Heh.

Thanks for your (and everyone's) patience and kindness in taking the time to answer me as I learn and navigate this new terrain.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Humidifier not heating?  |  Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:18 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

Do you mean a 15 mm diameter hose? I don't know of any 15 ft hose...non heated or not. I know they make 10 ft long hoses.

The heated hose doesn't affect the humidity in the air...it just affects the ability of that air to hold onto the moisture that the humidifier is generating....an you own personal comfort.

Warmer air in the hose means the air can hold on to more moisture and not have it condense in the hose or mask.
But it's the same amount of moisture in the air with the heated hose or the non heated hose.

Warmer air in the heated hose might feel more comfortable especially if your ambient room temp is on the cool side but the non heated hose really has nothing to do with the amount of moisture that the humidifier is generating.

The humidifier generates the humidity...whatever you set it at.
The heated hose with the heated air just prevents condensation in the mask or hose...or simply feels better to you. I keep a rather cold bedroom and without a heated hose even if I set the humidity to maximum I will get what I call ice cube nose syndrome. That air is cold and it hurts my nose and I don't like it. Not to mention with my cold bedroom and high humidity setting I can pretty much guarantee condensation happening in the hose and mask.

The dry mouth stuff...that's usually from mouth breathing and it takes very little mouth breathing to dry out the mouth.
People get dry mouth even with a full face mask and maximum humidity setting...has nothing to do with whether or not the hose is heated or not.
They humidifier was never designed to hydrate the oral cavity. It was designed to hydrate the nasal mucosa cavity which is much smaller than the oral cavity.
I suspect your dry mouth would happen even with a heated hose and even if you had the humidity set to maximum. Been there and done that myself.

Back when I started cpap therapy we didn't have these integrated heated hoses. Humidity settings weren't taking into what the ambient humidity in the room is either. Back in the dark ages...whole different ball game.

I do think you will like a ResMed machine better though. The humidity delivery is a bit more consistent with or without a heated hose.
And I have used both brands so I am speaking with experience here.

Plus there is more customization available in terms of humidity settings and hose air temps when a heated hose is used.

So when the Respironics machine cranks out the setting of 3 for humidity...that is what you are getting no matter if the hose is heated or not. The heater plate is heating as it should and there is a sensor in the humidifier to regulate the heat so that the humidity stays at a consistent level. That's why the heater plate cycles on and off through out the night. I don't remember exactly what the setting of 3 is supposed to deliver but I think around 80 to 85% maybe...I can't swear to it but maybe in that neighborhood. You get that no matter what hose you use.

I use a heated hose year round...it's just easier. Need it desperately in the winter since my bedroom might see 55 degrees so I need it to prevent condensation/rain out and prevent ice cube nose syndrome.
But in the summer that warmer air doesn't feel so great so I turn the hose air temp down as low as it will go and still prevent condensation.

So it sounds like your humidifier is indeed working but the way it is working doesn't suit your needs. Don't blame the dry mouth on the humidity though...the air is supposed to go up your nose and down the back airway and actually never enter your mouth since you are using a nasal mask. The only way the humidified air should be entering your mouth is via full face mask.

EnlightenMe
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Humidifier not heating?  |  Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:59 am

All good info that makes good sense. The whole dry mouth thing is so foreign to me as the only time I breathe through my mouth normally is if my nose is completely blocked from congestion. (Also when my nose was packed and healing from my septoplasty.)

And another strange thing - with the CPAP, the left side of my nose that didn't quite "take" to the septoplasty (e.g , is still pretty blocked) is the one that is most clear. The right side is pretty blocked. I've tried adjusting the nasal pillows this way and that and it doesn't seem to make a difference. After I've been awake for a bit and cleared out the congestion, it flips back to left side blocked, right side open. Curious.

Thanks again.

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Humidifier not heating?  |  Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:06 am

PAP Mask: F&P Vitera & Simplus, ResMed F20 N/P30i & old Amara View
PAP Machine: NIV ResMed Astral 150 soon
Humidifier: To be included with Astral & heated single limb leak circuit
Pressure Setting: Will run iVAPS, ResMed's variant on AVAPS

I think the Respironics and ResMed are somewhat similar when it comes to humidifier usage and settings. There should be an Auto or Manual mode then settings of Off and 1-X. X is a high of 8 on ResMed and I think a high of 5 on Respironics. This should be independent of whether or not heated hose is used.

On my ResMed, I typically use Manual and between 4-8 depending on the season. Not mentioning the heated hose settings, intentionally just mentioning humidifier.

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Help
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Chart_Organization

EnlightenMe
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Humidifier not heating?  |  Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:32 am

Oh and DUH! You're right. It's a 15mm hose. Sleep deprivation sucks.