id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - New machine and higher pressures
FAQ
It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:21 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

LightStamp
Unread post  Post subject: New machine and higher pressures  |  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:47 pm

PAP Mask: Fisher & Paykel Eson 2
PAP Machine: ResMed Air Sense 10
Humidifier: ResMed Air Sense 10 Humidifier
Pressure Setting: 12 start then up to set of 15

Been using a machine for 6 years and decided it was time for a new machine. Got the ResMed 10 Airsense w humidifier. Pressure is starts at 12 and goes to 15 and i got the Eson 2 mask. The first couple of weeks has been ok but noticed these issues:
1. some nights my mouth would become very cotton mouth dry.
2. The Eson 2 mask seems to be very snug at the forehead straps.
3. last night i heard a strange gurgling noise and pull the mask up and water came out. Immediately turned the humidifier level down so hope that fixes that.
4. Also i don't see how to change the exhale filter that's on the nose bridge.
5. It also seems a little noisier than the old but my pressure has almost doubled from 8 i was at.
any ideas about these issues?

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New machine and higher pressures  |  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:13 am

PAP Mask: F&P Vitera & Simplus, ResMed F20 N/P30i & old Amara View
PAP Machine: RT says I need NIV ResMed Astral 150 soon
Humidifier: not now
Pressure Setting: wait for NIV

The dry mouth may have been from mouth breathing. Airflow tends to dry things out. If it's accurate, then you may want to consider a chin strap to keep the mouth closed. There's a brand of very good strap called Knightsbridge Dual Band that quite a few users like.

Water collecting in the hose is rainout or condensation like the glass of ice water in the summer. A few tips on that, try to have your PAP machine a bit lower than you and your bed level. Situate the hose to travel up to your mask in a continuous uphill manner. If rainout continues, it may be good to get a heated hose. ResMed calls theirs ClimateLine, and the 10 series like yours takes a 10 series ClimateLine hose. Do not get one for the 9 series, not compatible. The heated hose clips on just like the one you have now onto the back of the PAP. Line up the power connector with the rectangle receptacle. Once plugged in, your PAP will give options to set the hose temperature from 60 something degrees F to 86 degrees. If you get one, try 80 degrees give or take a few clicks. This hose can be washed just like non-heated. I have submerged the whole thing with no issues. Be sure to dry it fully before use.

Noise. Check the intake filter to see if it's dirty and needing replaced or if it's sitting where it should. These 10 series machines are pretty quiet.

Others will have to fill you in on the Eson mask, I'm not familiar with it.

You may want to click on my link for OSCAR, a free report tool so you can see what your PAP therapy looks like. Use your SD card in your PAP to store the data and upload to OSCAR via your PC's card reader. You can then take screenshots to attach to your posts here and we can help with PAP therapy even better.

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Help
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Chart_Organization

LightStamp
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New machine and higher pressures  |  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:04 am

Attachment:
IMG_0715.JPG
IMG_0715.JPG [ 25.38 KiB | Viewed 608 times ]
I do have a "heated hose" but it never heats as far as i can tell. Appreciate your reply. Thanks

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New machine and higher pressures  |  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:07 pm

PAP Mask: F & P Simplus
PAP Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: 12-20

The hose doesn't really get warm...It warms the moist air running through it. You can adjust the internal temp.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New machine and higher pressures  |  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:24 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

The highest temp the heated hose will get is 86 degrees F.
Your normal body temp is around 98 degrees F.
Even at the highest hose temp setting it isn't going to feel all that warm to you because it is still cooler than your body.

If you really think it isn't heating at all you need to turn it on and let it run about 15 minutes and stick some sort of thermometer right inside the mask end of the long hose and check the temperature.

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New machine and higher pressures  |  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:20 pm

Maybe it's just me, but when I first turn on therapy and my heated hose is set to 86F, it seems to heat the air a bit, but the sensation is short lived. Regardless of whether it's accurate or not, if the heated hose prevents rainout, then it is probably working. Checking via a thermometer sounds like it would check proper operation. How about an infrared thermometer? Grocery stores used something like the below image to check my reefer truck temperature when I delivered eggs to their dairy dept. in the early 2000's.

Here's a $25 unit pictured that's at Home Depot as an example.

Attachments:
general-tools-infrared-thermometer-irt205-64_145.jpg
general-tools-infrared-thermometer-irt205-64_145.jpg [ 2.4 KiB | Viewed 580 times ]

LightStamp
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New machine and higher pressures  |  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:30 am

the dry mouth is getting more severe. the inside of my mouth gets so dry it is sticky. I have to sip some water every couple of hours to free up the mouth.
One adaptive thing i do at first few minutes of the mask wearing is to breathe out through mouth to try to somewhat ensure I can get a full breath in. Once this is attained I breathe and exhale through my nose.
There are times when the air pressure seems like it must be released and I let a bit of air out via mouth.
Going from 10 to 12-15 is an adjustment.
I have a full beard and mustache.
Could there be another issue with machine instead of just mouth breathing that causes the dry mouth?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New machine and higher pressures  |  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:10 am

LightStamp wrote:
Could there be another issue with machine instead of just mouth breathing that causes the dry mouth?

Not really anything that the machine itself that we could blame the dry mouth on....especially since you use a nasal mask and the humidified air going up the nose doesn't really make it to the mouth. Even if you were using a full face mask with maximum humidity there is no guarantee that it would fix the dry mouth issue.

Now there could be other factors besides mouth breathing that might be making things worse....medication side effects or other health issues.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New machine and higher pressures  |  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:19 am

PAP Mask: F & P Simplus
PAP Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: 12-20

LightStamp wrote:
the dry mouth is getting more severe. the inside of my mouth gets so dry it is sticky. I have to sip some water every couple of hours to free up the mouth.
One adaptive thing i do at first few minutes of the mask wearing is to breathe out through mouth to try to somewhat ensure I can get a full breath in. Once this is attained I breathe and exhale through my nose.
There are times when the air pressure seems like it must be released and I let a bit of air out via mouth.
Going from 10 to 12-15 is an adjustment.
I have a full beard and mustache.

Try Xylimelts for dry mouth. Works while you sleep.

LightStamp
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New machine and higher pressures  |  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:24 pm

Thanks!

LightStamp
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New machine and higher pressures  |  Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:59 pm

Pugsy wrote:
LightStamp wrote:

Not really anything that the machine itself that we could blame the dry mouth on....especially since you use a nasal mask and the humidified air going up the nose doesn't really make it to the mouth. Even if you were using a full face mask with maximum humidity there is no guarantee that it would fix the dry mouth issue.

Now there could be other factors besides mouth breathing that might be making things worse....medication side effects or other health issues.

I always do an equalize process where i exhale through the mouth when i first start the CPAP. I've learned that in order to inhale fully the exhale (through mouth) must first take place. I also have a missing top row back tooth. Could air be getting into my mouth from nasal via this gap?

I've yet to try the moisture generate tabs but plan to try that tonight.

Thanks
Harry

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New machine and higher pressures  |  Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:45 pm

LightStamp wrote:
Could air be getting into my mouth from nasal via this gap?

Actually I read an article about this not long ago but I don't have the link saved or if I saved it (which I thought I did) I can't find it now but that's essentially what is happening to some people sometimes and it actually isn't related to teeth or no teeth.
It was in response to people who complain of dry mouth and they tape their mouths shut and the tape doesn't come off and yet they get massive dry mouth.

Unfortunately while it is an acknowledgement that it can happen it didn't offer a fix. The only way is to keep the back door closed from the airway to the oral cavity and that is something that is often easier said than done.

The article was written by a doctor that I know is well respected in the business....so not what I would call a crack pot.
Some stuff I read is nothing but crack pot and I don't put much faith in what was said but what this guy said made sense.
I need to try to remember who it was and find it so I can share it.

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New machine and higher pressures  |  Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:54 pm

Learning the tongue suck method for keeping the base of your tongue in its proper place is ideal. The big issue is the teaching dogs new tricks.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New machine and higher pressures  |  Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:30 pm

DeltaBravo3.8 wrote:
Learning the tongue suck method for keeping the base of your tongue in its proper place is ideal. The big issue is the teaching dogs new tricks.

Not only do you have to teach an old dog a new trick you need to teach him to do the trick when he's asleep. That's the hard part.

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New machine and higher pressures  |  Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:04 pm

Correct. And no I've not mastered it. I gave up on it about a second after I donned a full face mask.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New machine and higher pressures  |  Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:36 pm

DeltaBravo3.8 wrote:
Correct. And no I've not mastered it. I gave up on it about a second after I donned a full face mask.

And I decided about a second after donning a full face mask that I would fix my mouth opening problem by hook or crook.
Back when I first started cpap therapy there weren't near and many really nice full face masks out there to choose from and even less that would fit a small petite woman who had a really bad neck and the straps caused bad headaches.
It was 6 years before I even owned a full face mask. The Respironics DreamWear FFM I could use if I had to. It's the first one that didn't kill my neck or drive me crazy with how it fit my face or rather didn't fit my face. I kept it for a couple of years...never used it and realized I was never going to use so I gave it away. Coming on 12 years this May on CPAP and haven't ever used a full face mask out of need...only tried them to see if I could used them if I ever needed to.

Unfortunately if someone is complaining primarily about dry mouth...full face mask isn't guaranteed to fix that problem.
And if someone tapes their mouth shut and the tape doesn't come loose...we know the dry mouth isn't from mouth breathing.

I would rule out medication side effects, other health and hydration issues if it were me.