id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - First Night On APAP Completed!
FAQ
It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:48 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Morfeeus
Unread post  Post subject: First Night On APAP Completed!  |  Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:47 pm

PAP Mask: Dreamwear Nasal Cushion
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Auto

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and just completed my first night of sleep therapy. I think I did pretty well for my first night but have a couple questions.

1) I am currently using the Dreamwear nasal cushion mask. It is the same mask I used during my titration study. My question is that the mask has a pretty strong "new mask smell" and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to lessen or get rid of that smell. I washed the mask thoroughly in dish soap after opening it but that didn't seem to reduce the smell very much.

2) When first starting the machine last night, my nasal passages were clear. After about 25-30 minutes, i found my nasal passages were becoming somewhat stuffy. Although I did not have any problems breathing in, it was exhaling that seemed to get more difficult to the point oi being unacceptable. I got out of bed and took a couple shots of Afrin and that opened my nasal passages back up and cured the issue for the rest of the night. I am using the humidifier on a setting of 2 with an ambient humidity of 45%. I was just curious what everyone else does to combat nasal congestion issues.

Overall, I would say it was a successful first night. I slept for almost 6.5 hours although I did awake 3-4 times. According to the MyAir app, my AHI was 1.1 events per hour.

Relative Info:
ResMed Airsense 10 Auto
Dreamwear nasal cushion mask
Ramp Setting: 20 mins @ 6cmH2O
Auto Pressure settings 14cmH2O - 18cmH2O
Prescribed Pressure is 17cmH2O

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First Night On APAP Completed!  |  Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:29 am

PAP Mask: F & P Simplus
PAP Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: 12-20

Sounds like you did pretty well for the first night..congratulations. There is a setting for EPR (Exhale Pressure Relief). Check to see if it is ON and set it for 2. That should make it easier to exhale.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First Night On APAP Completed!  |  Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:14 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

Google "cpap rhinitis".

I suspect you might need more than a setting of 2 for the humidity.
The setting of 2 isn't very much humidity and your nasal mucosa may just need a bit more to be happy. I need at least a setting of 4 and to make my nasal mucosa really happy they would prefer a setting of 6 and my ambient humidity where I live is usually a little higher than yours...which doesn't mean much because everyone is different but don't go thinking you don't need much added moisture just because of the ambient humidity.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First Night On APAP Completed!  |  Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:17 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

Oh, the "new" smell. Sometimes just more annoying to some people for whatever reason and it often just takes time.

If a good washing doesn't help then maybe add something you do like to smell so it isn't so annoying. I often use a few drops of essential oils on a cotton ball (placed in a dish to protect the table top) behind the air intake of the machine. That way I can regulate intensity by the distance to the air intake. I like florals myself like roses or gardenias. You might like something else.

Eventually the "new" smell dissipates.

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First Night On APAP Completed!  |  Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:13 pm

PAP Mask: F&P Vitera & Simplus, ResMed F20 N/P30i & old Amara View
PAP Machine: RT says I need NIV ResMed Astral 150 soon
Humidifier: not now
Pressure Setting: wait for NIV

All good suggestions. On the humidifier settings, remember there's more than just the number, there is also the Auto or Manual setting. You may need to try both with an increase above 2 to see where your best setting is found.

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Help
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Chart_Organization