Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Sleep Position and APNEA
FAQ
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:13 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

motownmike
Unread post  Post subject: Sleep Position and APNEA  |  Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:38 am

PAP Mask: swift FX Nasal Pillow
PAP Machine: Philips Resperonics System One REMstar Pro C-Flex+
Humidifier: System One Heated Humidifier
Pressure Setting: C Check min 10 max 20

Has anyone diagnosed with apnea had a follow up sleep study or part of the initial study while sleeping on their stomach?
Was there an AHI reduction?

With collapse of the airway being the culprit with OA has anyone on the forum had success by training themselves to be a stomach sleeper?

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Sleep Position and APNEA  |  Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:03 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

It would probably be difficult for them to know for sure without in being in a lab setting to quantify apneas in different positions.

That said...I'll chime in to that point.

Sleeping on your stomach (in most people) significantly decreases the AHI in a lab setting. However, people with moderate and severe sleep apnea still "usually" have a diagnosable AHI while on their stomach.

Apnea sucks.... :(

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Sleep Position and APNEA  |  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:31 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

I used to nap mostly on my stomach, a little on my side (I'm kinda round), and I would feel so much better after those little naps. They were usually only 20-40 minutes. Occasionally I would sleep for a whole hour! I think those naps saved my life, I was sooo tired, and they felt so restorative. I guess I know why now! Thank Gravity for pulling open my airway and letting me sleep! :D

I've only taken one nap since starting therapy, and that was because I got really sick was trying to sleep through my fever. That didn't work.

I kind of miss my naps, but I feel so much better than before.

Pat50
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Sleep Position and APNEA  |  Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:52 pm

Thanks for this post guys.

Lisalisacats
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Sleep Position and APNEA  |  Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:50 pm

PAP Mask: Respironics DreamWear Gel Pillow - FitPack-1124984
PAP Machine: DreamStation 500 Auto

I have always been a side sleeper. I recently switched to a new machine and to a Dreamwear nasal cushion (switched from pillows). I find that if I try to sleep on my side it pulls the mask off my nose and I end up having to readjust everything. I've gone to forcing myself to sleep on my back but for me this is uncomfortable. Any suggestions?

monuoha
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Sleep Position and APNEA  |  Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:36 pm

PAP Mask: Philip Dreamwear, Resmed Swift fx, F&P Simplus
PAP Machine: Philip Dreamstation Auto Cpap
Pressure Setting: 7.5-20

Same boat as you. I sleep on my belly. Constant leaks with the dreamwear. Ended up buying a FFM instead.

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Sleep Position and APNEA  |  Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:44 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

Lisalisacats wrote:
I have always been a side sleeper. I recently switched to a new machine and to a Dreamwear nasal cushion (switched from pillows). I find that if I try to sleep on my side it pulls the mask off my nose and I end up having to readjust everything. I've gone to forcing myself to sleep on my back but for me this is uncomfortable. Any suggestions?

Why did you switch from pillows? Which pillows were you using? I've been sleeping on my side for at least 15 years. I have noticed now that I start off on my side but I end up on my back, I haven't really had any issues with my pillow masks not staying put on my side, maybe a couple times with the Swift FX, but not with the P10.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Sleep Position and APNEA  |  Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:28 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Lisalisacats wrote:

You might consider getting a Small frame if you are using the Medium frame for the DreamWear. It's a bit more snug and would likely be more stable when side sleeping tends to cause the mask to move too easily.
Going to the Small frame made a substantial difference in mask stability for me.
Also if you haven't tried the gel pillows for the DreamWear you might look at those. They were more stable than the under the nose cushion for me and you have used nasal pillows in the past. All you need is the nasal pillow part because the frame is the same whether cushion or pillows.

You should be able to sleep in any position that is the most comfortable for you and that would be what I worked towards in terms of masks. Not adapting sleeping position for the type of mask.

I am primarily a side sleeper but will usually end up doing all positions at some time or other because I can't stay in any one position for very long due to spine issues.

Lisalisacats
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Sleep Position and APNEA  |  Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:48 pm

PAP Mask: Respironics DreamWear Gel Pillow - FitPack-1124984
PAP Machine: DreamStation 500 Auto

I switched from the pillows because I was getting sores around my nose. I'm thinking I'll try and go back. I may have to just toughen them up.