Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Home vs clinic study
FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:27 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

DTjazz
Unread post  Post subject: Home vs clinic study  |  Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:27 pm

PAP Mask: Res Med air touch 20
PAP Machine: DreamStation Go
Humidifier: DreamStation Go
Pressure Setting: 9-11.5

I just got my prescription to get my study completed. It looks like I have an option of doing it at home or going to the center.

Is a homestudy just fine for determining whether or not I have issues with central sleep apnea or would benefit from an ASV?

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Home vs clinic study  |  Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:26 pm

PAP Mask: F & P Simplus
PAP Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: 12-20

Why do yo think you have Central apnea? The sleep study is to determine IF you have sleep apnea, and, if you do, what type. The sleep center will be a much more comprehensive study. If you are covered by insurance, do the sleep center. If you are paying out of pocket, the home study is MUCH cheaper.

Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Home vs clinic study  |  Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:04 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
Pressure Setting: Min EPAP: 8.0 Max EPAP: 11.0 PS Min: 3.0 PS Max: 8.0

As I understand it, some home studies are more comprehensive than others. If you suspect that you may have central apnea, then discuss this aspect with your provider. Typically, central apnea is detected using the normal upper airway probe (to see if you're breathing) combined with a chest band (to see if you're attempting to breathe).

Central apnea is fairly uncommon, though not as rare as the medical profession seem to think. Many of them regard all apnea as obstructive and totally ignore the possibility of central.

Which gets back to the original question - why do you think you may have central apnea?

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* Organise your Oscar charts

DTjazz
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Home vs clinic study  |  Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:31 pm

PAP Mask: Res Med air touch 20
PAP Machine: DreamStation Go
Humidifier: DreamStation Go
Pressure Setting: 9-11.5

Thank you for your replies. I’m very new to all of this. And I’ve come to find this to be an amazing resource. I have not had any sleep study yet. But I’ve listen to recordings of myself overnight and I have taken my own O2 saturation‘s and I have without a doubt apnea likely severe. Of course I need a sleep study and has been ordered. (once I became suspicious, I requested one from my doctor.) On Tuesday will find out if I can go into the center or if it will be a homestudy. It is my understanding that I have a choice. I just want to be accurate as I’ve read that working with one type of machine when another type of machine is required would be a mistake.

Through my own investigations I’ve become aware that this likely has been a problem my entire life. I’m just highly motivated to make sure that nothing is missed.

So my questions at the stage are not highly educated but soon they will be. Hopefully through my investigations now I can hope for a smoother transition into therapy. Again thanks for everything and great website and community!

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Home vs clinic study  |  Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:39 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

As long as the home sleep study has you wearing some sort of belt around your chest/abdomen....it can detect centrals. Central apneas are when you don't make an effort to breathe and the belt is a tool to know if you are making an effort or not.

There are different levels of details available in the home sleep studies.
See here for the different types.
http://freecpapadvice.com/home-sleep-tests