Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Roof of my mouth and lips are coated every morning
FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:43 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

heartwood
Unread post  Post subject: Roof of my mouth and lips are coated every morning  |  Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:39 am

PAP Mask: Respironics Full Face Dreamwear
PAP Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV
Humidifier: integrated humidifier with heat
Pressure Setting: EPAP 6, Min. PS 5, Max. 15PS ASV Mode

When I awake the throat of my mouth is coated with a soft film that is reddish brown and can be scraped off with your finger. My lips have a dried cracked substance that looks like blood. The Nurse Practitioner at the sleep center looked at my throat to see if she saw any sign of thrush and she did not. She said she has not seen anything like this before. When I blow my nose my sinuses are clear. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Roof of my mouth and lips are coated every morning  |  Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:46 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Probably just brown gunk from the changes in the mouth when we mouth breathe which dries out the normal saliva.

Add some sort of oral hydration product to your bedtime routine.

Now you might try increasing the humidity setting on your machine if you can. Sometimes that will help...sometimes not but worth trying.
The problem is the oral cavity is so large that the humidity put out even at maximum simply can't keep the mouth well hydrated. Sometimes medication side effects or other health issues just make the mouth dry out faster. The humidifier was originally designed to help with the nasal cavity which is much smaller and easier to keep hydrated.

So if not using humidity...use it. If at a lower setting...increase the setting...if already at max setting...add a mouth hydrating product to nightly routing. There are many available out there and it's trial and error figuring out what works well for you.

heartwood
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Roof of my mouth and lips are coated every morning  |  Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:51 am

PAP Mask: Respironics Full Face Dreamwear
PAP Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV
Humidifier: integrated humidifier with heat
Pressure Setting: EPAP 6, Min. PS 5, Max. 15PS ASV Mode

Thanks. I have humidity so I will check the setting and I will get some kind of oral hydrating mouth wash.