Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - First Post: Going for 1st Sleep Study appt June 5th 2019
FAQ
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:55 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

ZzZz Ang zZzZ
  Unread post  Post subject: First Post: Going for 1st Sleep Study appt June 5th 2019  |  Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:23 pm

I am going for first Sleep Study appointment on June 5th 2019. I have never been to one before and am all new as to what to expect. People keep asking me questions but I don't know any answers. I tell them I don't think I will be having a sleep test on the 5th as it is for 9am and who sleeps at 9am? If I have to get out of my bed and get dressed and drive or be driven to the first appointment to the sleep doctor, I have to be fully awake or I risk falling.

Yes I have fallen about 7 times in the last month or 2 now. My friend thinks I have Narcolepsy. He said he had it in College when he was away from home and teaching the people there. Then he said when he quit that job and came back home his Narcolepsy stopped. I think he just diagnosed himself as having that but from what I have seen on YouTube I don't think that is what I (nor him) ever had. For me it came on suddenly without warning but only seems to happen at home when I first wake up. It seems more like exhaustion from interrupted sleep. I have been sick for at least a month now with sinus issues and possible upper respiratory problems resulting from that when I lay down to sleep. I get up every two hours to use my inhaler to breathe. I had to go to a hospital up north due to other health issues (I have no kidneys) and while there for my consultation for getting on the transplant waiting list I had to stay overnight and so my mom and I shared a room and a large bed. She said she thinks I stop breathing when I sleep. She said my dad used to and it always made her very nervous. Well, I was not aware since I am asleep when it happens.

With all that information I now have I think I probably have Sleep Apnea and with all the falling I have been experiencing they think I have sleep Apnea. When I think of sleep apnea I think of those huge face masks tied to a breathing machine. I can do it as I used to sleep attached to a Peritoneal Dialysis Machine back a decade and a half ago. But I have a few questions since this is all new to me:

I was wondering do you need a lot of room for supplies if any? Back then I had a 2 bedroom apartment but now have a 1 bedroom apartment.

Is the first appointment just a "get to know you" appointment?

What tests are needed for testing for Sleep Apnea and do you sleep at night at their building for the testing?

How many appointments before testing is done (I am in East Canada)?

Do I install special softward on my computer to track my sleep some how at home?

Is the CPAP machine covered by my Canadian Province's Health care (OHIP)? Or my disability (ODSP)?

That is all for now. I am a 45 year old dialysis patient with no kids and no man living by myself on subsidized housing in a 1 bedroom apartment and on Provincial disability with a disability I was diagnosed with at a young age but was the result of a birth defect.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Ang

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First Post: Going for 1st Sleep Study appt June 5th 2019  |  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:33 am

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

ZzZz Ang zZzZ wrote:
I was wondering do you need a lot of room for supplies if any? Back then I had a 2 bedroom apartment but now have a 1 bedroom apartment.

*raises eyebrow* I can put a years worth of my supplies in my pockets, now, if you throw away perfectly good stuff and waste money on an artificial 'schedule' from your DME, you might need a drawer.

ZzZz Ang zZzZ wrote:
Is the first appointment just a "get to know you" appointment?

My crystal ball can't read whatever is going to happen with your doctor/clinic/lab
ZzZz Ang zZzZ wrote:
What tests are needed for testing for Sleep Apnea and do you sleep at night at their building for the testing?

Unless you do an at home test/
ZzZz Ang zZzZ wrote:
How many appointments before testing is done (I am in East Canada)?

See #2 above.
ZzZz Ang zZzZ wrote:
Do I install special softward on my computer to track my sleep some how at home?

You should.
ZzZz Ang zZzZ wrote:
Is the CPAP machine covered by my Canadian Province's Health care (OHIP)? Or my disability (ODSP)?

Depends on the province.