Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Popping noises when using nasal mask keeping spouse awake
FAQ
It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:24 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

JWrightsman
  Unread post  Post subject: Popping noises when using nasal mask keeping spouse awake  |  Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:15 am

Popping noise, like a perculator or popcorn popping, are intermittent, and make it very difficult for spouse to sleep. CPAP user has nasal mask and chin strap. Help, I'm at my wits end.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Popping noises when using nasal mask keeping spouse awak  |  Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:54 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Check for water in the mask or hose...even tiny drops can make a lot of noise.

If you find any...it's condensation or we call in "rain out" and there are several options available to eliminate it depending on where it's at and the equipment you are using.

JWrightsman
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Popping noises when using nasal mask keeping spouse awak  |  Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:57 am

What are the options? I don't see any condensation in the hose or mask, but if they are subtle, they could have been overlooked!

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Popping noises when using nasal mask keeping spouse awak  |  Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:12 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

If it's water in the hose causing the popping, it'll be a lot, enough to block a low spot in the hose.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Popping noises when using nasal mask keeping spouse awak  |  Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:52 pm

Options depend on what kind of equipment you are using and where the water might be.
Brand and model machine...non heated hose or heated hose...which mask?

Or you can take a look at what I wrote on another forum that pretty much covers all the options....posts number 2 and 3 I think.
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t9403 ... -road.html

You haven't added your equipment to your profile so I don't know what you are using or what might be available to use...when you get a chance please do that. Makes us be able to be more specific with any ideas sooner instead of later when we can see at a glance what you are using.

JWrightsman
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Popping noises when using nasal mask keeping spouse awak  |  Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:51 am

ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset, heated hose (set at 81), bedroom temp average is 75. Using nasal mask, chin strap. Confirmed mourh breather/sleeps on back. Keeps head of bed tilted upward at about 4-5" above its "flat" state. Now adding Breathe Right nasal strips, also... with mixed results. Sometimes with the popping noise, the cheek(s) waffle like wind in a sail. In other instances of popping, i see no mouth/cheek movement.

JWrightsman
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Popping noises when using nasal mask keeping spouse awak  |  Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:28 am

Forgot to mention that he has tried the ResMed AirFit F20, and the DreamWear full face masks. Both provided very poor seals. His most comfortable mask is the nasal mask, ResMed AirFit P10. Unfortunately, this mask is the one that produces the intermittent popping. I believe his machine is set at a minimum of 4, maximum of 20. Ramp is off. He is 80 years old, but I doubt that could be a factor.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Popping noises when using nasal mask keeping spouse awak  |  Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:18 am

I wonder if what you are describing as popping sounds is what we often refer to as mask farts. Little raspberries that the mask makes when the silicone breaks the seal a little on the skin area.

Might consider a mask liner.
https://www.padacheek.com/mask-liners-full-face
You can make your own out of an old Tshirt.

JWrightsman
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Popping noises when using nasal mask keeping spouse awak  |  Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:47 am

Unless i overlooked it, it seems as though they do not make a mask liner for the nasal masks. I do appreciate your trying to help!

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Popping noises when using nasal mask keeping spouse awak  |  Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:54 am

You missed it. There is a page for nasal mask liners.

But there is a barrel cozy for the P10 which will function like a liner.
Super comfy...feels like silk against the nose.

Look carefully in the pillow part of the P10 though...that area is an easy place for the moisture in our own exhaled breath to condense and be annoying. I used the P10 for years...so I have personal experience in that regard.

You also might try increasing the hose air temp a little bit. Just in case it is moisture in there causing the popping.