id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - WASO?????
FAQ
It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:32 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

rocknroehl
Unread post  Post subject: Re: WASO?????  |  Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:37 am

PAP Mask: ResMed Swift FX for her or Quattro FX
PAP Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Humidifier: H5i warm
Pressure Setting: 8

[/quote]
The REM latency can be very useful though. Normal REM latency should be between 90 and 120 minutes. The first REM period usually only lasts 5-10 minutes.
There is evidence that a REM latency of 60 minutes or less is an indicator of depression. An REM onset close to Sleep Onset is sometimes an indicator of Narcolepsy, thought only and MSLT can diagnose that.
[/quote]

I don't know how to quote from posts, but from what you said what if you are above the normal for REM latency? My sleep study says I had 387 all night, 0 pre treatment and 220 post treatment (don't know where the extra 167 came from) If a low latency indicates depression, what does a high one mean? I do know that I was told that the sleep study would end about 5:30, but if I was in REM that they would let me wake up when it was finished... so I didn't wake up until around 6:05 (I felt so bad for the tech). Normally I do notice that the alarm clock seems to always wake me up in the middle of dreams and I feel very sleepy and it's hard to wake up. I hate mornings!!!

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: WASO?????  |  Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:44 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

rocknroehl wrote:
I don't know how to quote from posts
Select Post Reply. Then highlight the passage you want to quote. Select the "quote" button in the upper right hand corner where the post in contained. Don't just hit any ol' "Quote" button you see! ;) That's it.

rocknroehl wrote:
but from what you said what if you are above the normal for REM latency?
During sleep studies that is called the first night effect. For reasons unknown to me, the first REM period in a sleep lab is often missed. Stress to a new sleeping environment? Maybe why our sleep in a hotel room isn't as good as at home? I don't know, but a longer than normal latency for REM isn't any call for alarm.

rocknroehl wrote:
My sleep study says I had 387 all night, 0 pre treatment and 220 post treatment (don't know where the extra 167 came from)
What do the numbers represent? Maybe this isn't as simple as really awful math! ;)

rocknroehl wrote:
Normally I do notice that the alarm clock seems to always wake me up in the middle of dreams and I feel very sleepy and it's hard to wake up.
In the morning is when our REM periods last the longest and when we're most likely to wake. It's probably hard to wake because you're being awoken unnaturally and need more sleep. Can you dedicate more time to sleep? Even 20-30 minutes?

rocknroehl wrote:
I hate mornings!!!
I love mornings.....but hate alarm clocks! :evil:

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.