Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Clear apnea vs obstructive apnea
FAQ
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:18 am

Click this Affiliate Link to Support FreeCPAPAdvice when buying from Amazon. Easiest way to support us!

Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Snuggybrinks
Unread post  Post subject: Clear apnea vs obstructive apnea  |  Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:52 am

PAP Mask: Airfit F10 for her
PAP Machine: Philips Respironics Dreamstation Auto CPAP
Humidifier: Dreamstation humidifier & heated tubing
Pressure Setting: 6-12 cm h2o

I just purchased a PR Dreamstation Auto CPAP machine.
With the machine you get access to the dreammapper app that helps you get a snapshot of how well you slept the night before.

It breaks down your AHI into three categories:
- clear apnea
- obstructive apnea
- hypopnea

What are the differences between them?

I attached a screenshot from my phone so that you can see what I'm talking about.

Attachments:
IMG_3261.PNG
IMG_3261.PNG [ 328.96 KiB | Viewed 2852 times ]

Unread post  Post subject: Re: Clear apnea vs obstructive apnea  |  Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:23 am

Hi Snuggybrinks,
Click on the "help" button at the top of the screen you were looking at for explanations of different terms. Here's a link: https://www.mydreammapper.com/Help/Faq#
Obstructive: you're not breathing because your airway is blocked
Clear: you're not breathing, but your airway is open
Hypopnea: you're breathing, but it's shallow

I hope this helps.

Snuggybrinks
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Clear apnea vs obstructive apnea  |  Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:49 pm

Thank you JennieBee,

That is very helpful :)

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Clear apnea vs obstructive apnea  |  Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:57 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

btw, the rest of the medical world calls "clear airway apneas" by their regular name "central apnea" "clear airway" is something respironics appears to have made up.

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Clear apnea vs obstructive apnea  |  Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:38 am
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

Though this landing page doesn't look like much: http://freecpapadvice.com/sleep-breathing-disorders, you can click on each to see examples from a polysomnograph.

I've done a few comparisons using SleepyHead along with my home sleep test (with EEG). Both ResMed and Respironics machines are horrible at correctly identifying each. Just something to keep in mind. It can be helpful to look at the actual waves using SleepyHead and see how your respirations are formed. That is a better clue as to what type of apnea it is more often than not.

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

Snuggybrinks
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Clear apnea vs obstructive apnea  |  Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:48 am

Thank you!

I will have a look at it.
I finally downloaded sleepyhead...but am not sure what I am looking at...I need to watch some of the tutorial videos to figure out what is "need to know/good to know" information, and what is bonus.

Thanks!