Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Question about OSCAR flow limit scale? (and a screenshot)
FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:23 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Dog_Tired
Unread post  Post subject: Question about OSCAR flow limit scale? (and a screenshot)  |  Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:38 am

PAP Mask: AirFit N30i w/Caldera Releaf collar
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto
Pressure Setting: APAP 8.6-14

New to this board. So much info - thanks in advance!

The flow limit graph scale in OSCAR goes from 0.0 to 1.0 - is this meant to be interpreted as a percentage of flow? In other words, does a value of 0.50 indicate 50% blockage or limitation?

Not sure how to phrase my other question about FL - is the limit based upon the pressure settings or more related to flow rate?

I've attached an OSCAR snap from a few nights ago. I just started using an Airfit N30i along with a cervical collar which is so much more comfortable and brought my leaks under control I think.

Thoughts on my OSCAR report?

Attachments:
Screenshot 2020-09-16 at 11.31.13.png
Screenshot 2020-09-16 at 11.31.13.png [ 254.76 KiB | Viewed 223 times ]
Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Question about OSCAR flow limit scale? (and a screenshot  |  Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:07 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

ResMed has never really explained the scale for the FL graph but it's not related to percentage of air flow reduction
It's related more to the shape of each individual breath.

Your report is pretty boring which is a good thing. How are you sleeping and feeling?

Your flow limitations...very minor. I would ignore them.
Here's what a bad FL graph looks like.

Attachment:
ugly fl graph.JPG
ugly fl graph.JPG [ 194.23 KiB | Viewed 217 times ]

Dog_Tired
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Question about OSCAR flow limit scale? (and a screenshot  |  Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:09 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit N30i w/Caldera Releaf collar
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto
Pressure Setting: APAP 8.6-14

Thanks Pugsy. Shape of breath, interesting.

Boring, cool, don't mind hearing that. I've been on the machine about a month now. The one thing I can say definitely is that my wife is sleeping better! I've been struggling with masks, which is extremely common it seems. As a mouth breather, the combination of the collar and the N30i are sooo much better I couldn't believe it after the first night. As to feeling better...maybe. I do notice that I'm not falling asleep in front of the TV as much. Wife says I seem more "awake" in the morning too.

What started me on this path btw, is a small app on my android phone. It's called SnoreLab. I was absolutely flabbergasted hearing how much & how loud my snoring was the first time I used it. And it was actually scary to hear the OA episodes and a lot of them. That led me to a home sleep test and the purchase of my machine. No insurance involved, I don't have the patience to wait for doctors or insurance companies, good or bad as that might be.

And a big THANK YOU to the OSCAR developers, what an amazing tool.

This ended up being much longer than I meant to write, maybe I should add a TLDR...

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Question about OSCAR flow limit scale? (and a screenshot  |  Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:47 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed F20 N30i P30i, a F&P Simplus & soon to have Vitera
PAP Machine: I will likely tell the doc it's going to be ResMed Astral 150
Humidifier: Accessory Humidifier will be requested
Pressure Setting: 0 setting for now, soon to be using AVAPS settings

Ditto that ResMed doesn't specify what 0-1 on the FL chart signifies. I personally block out the numbers and focus on the the grey line instead. Your FL looks good and what you want to see, the sample Pugsy showed is what you do not want to see. Flow limits turn into Hypopnea which turns into Apnea as it gets stronger. FL at 0-50% air restriction, Hypopnea 50-80%, and Apnea 80-100%.

Unfortunate but we don't know what the number aspect represents. ResMed doesn't share their KFC special spices recipe on the FL.

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Help
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Chart_Organization