FAQ
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:55 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

Hannah
Unread post  Post subject: Should I push for cpap therapy?  |  Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:24 pm

Hi I was accidentally faxed my results from my in home sleep study today. They meant to fax it to the referring doctor but instead sent them to me. I wore the monitor for approx. 6 hours and it says I had 31 events. 0 CA, .3 OA, and 4.3 hypopneas. So 4.6 obstructive+hypopnea in an hour. Oxygen desat. 91%. It says this is in normal range and the doctor should be calling me Monday to go over the results. But the paper just says recommendations are weight loss, sleep upright and avoid sedatives and alcohol which I don’t use anyway. My question is this. Should I push for cpap therapy? I already have a brand new resmed air10 elite that a friend gave me so that’s not an issue. I truly don’t understand how my numbers are so low. I have all the symptoms minus the snoring and some nights I don’t sleep at all because every single time I drift off I jerk awake gasping with my heart racing. My husband said I wake him up gasping constantly. I know I’m a very shallow breather so the hyponeas make sense. And I also know that my numbers probably would show higher if the study would’ve been in lab but I’m cash paying so I had to do in home. What should I do? Thanks in advance.

SleepyDave
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Should I push for cpap therapy?  |  Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:21 pm

I've had three studies. 2 in lab studies and 1 home study. The results of the "events" were basically the same, but the type of sleep i had was drastically different. Two in lab studies showed REM was 3% of my sleep. The in home study showed REM was 22% of my sleep. If my REM truly is 3% of my night, then that would explain why i feel like crap/have no energy all day. If my REM is 22% of my sleep, then it's gotta be something else why I feel so terrible all day. So basically i'm saying IDK how accurate in home sleep studies are.

I'm sure people that know more than me will comment on in-home vs in lab sleep studies.

How much REM did your sleep study say you had? What type of in home study did you have? Was it a headband that you wore? A wrist band? Chest monitor?

How many RERA's (Respiratory Effort Related Arousal) did you have? If you don't know what RERA's are, do a quick a google search. Or watch LankyLefty video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIqcwVEbyCk (RERA is about the 6:45 mark). RDI (Respitory Disturbance Index) is much more accurate way of analyzing sleep breathing disorders than AHI. RDI incorporates our RERA's. RDI = AHI + RERA's per hour. Most insurance won't look at RERA's which is pretty stupid. You could have an AHI of 2, but have 10 RERA's every hour, but insurance will say that your AHI is too low to cover. Think about that. That would be an RDI of 12, which means if you slept for 8 hours, your brain essentially woke up 12 x 8 = 96 times throughout the night. (If i understand that all right)

I dont know if that answers your question, but hopefully gives you an idea of more questions to ask your Dr. Hopefully other people will comment as well.

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Should I push for cpap therapy?  |  Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:57 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

Hannah wrote:
I have all the symptoms minus the snoring and some nights I don’t sleep at all because every single time I drift off I jerk awake gasping with my heart racing. My husband said I wake him up gasping constantly. I know I’m a very shallow breather so the hyponeas make sense. And I also know that my numbers probably would show higher if the study would’ve been in lab but I’m cash paying so I had to do in home. What should I do? Thanks in advance.
I would try CPAP. Like you said, you have the symptoms and you have a machine. CPAP is considered to be safe even if someone doesn't need it.

Set it for 5cmH20 for a couple nights, then try 8cmH20 for a couple nights and see how you feel. I don't think that is a machine you can use with SleepyHead, so you'll just have to go by how you feel. See if the symptoms go away after a couple weeks of trying it out.

SleepyDave is absolutely correct that it can be RERAs. Just as disruptive and harmful as hypopneas and obstructive apneas, but without the diagnosis. My company (AXG Sleep Diagnostics) is the only home sleep testing company that detects RERAs. (patting myself on the back and basking in the glow of my own greatness..... :ugeek: ) ;)

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Should I push for cpap therapy?  |  Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:58 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

TheLankyLefty wrote:
I don't think that is a machine you can use with SleepyHead,

The Airsense 10 Elite does work with sleepyhead... it's full data, just not auto.

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

jaw2004
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Should I push for cpap therapy?  |  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:08 pm

PAP Mask: Respironics Dreamwear Nasal mask/Quattro FX for Her mask/Amara View
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 for Her
Pressure Setting: APAP... standard algorithim 9-14

Hannah...you have a machine...give it a try. Remember it won't be an overnight fix, but you may still see a difference.

I wasn't diagnosed until I was 57, and my AHI was only 9-10. However, my REM sleep was 0% Always been a shallow, light sleeper.

After 6 months, I'm pretty consistent with an AHI less than 4, but I know I can do better. However, the first thing I noticed was that my lung capacity increased tremendously and I don't get short-of-breath when walking a few blocks or going up several flights of stairs. I don't walk slow or take it easy....I keep trying to move along... but before I started CPAP it was as if I could never "break through" a certain point of exercise
intolerance. I no longer have the bone-weary fatigue that I thought was just me.

Still have a ways to go...but I won't sleep a night without my CPAP!