Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - 1 week on cpap and don't feel any better
FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:47 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

nowheels
Unread post  Post subject: 1 week on cpap and don't feel any better  |  Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:00 pm

Hey all,

last week i got my airsense 10 after my home sleep study confirmed severe sleep apnea. After 1 week now i really don't feel any better. I wake up a bunch of times during the night and the machine is at or near max pressure at that point. a couple times its even started upping the pressure while im still awake. I wanted to get your guys opinions on my sleepyhead charts to see if i could possibly stay asleep better if i lowered the max pressure or if i should leave it alone and keep trying to get used to it.

thanks for all your help

Attachment:
Screenshot (6).png
Screenshot (6).png [ 203.44 KiB | Viewed 2567 times ]

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: 1 week on cpap and don't feel any better  |  Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:34 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

You probably aren't going to like what I say but it looks like you need more pressure than this model machine can give.
If you lower the pressure then most likely you will just have even more apnea events happen.

How did you end up with these settings? Did you have an in lab sleep study using the machine so they could figure out what you need or did you just get the diagnosis and they hand you a machine at these settings and hope the machine could sort it all out?

When is your follow up appointment with your sleep doctor?

You most likely need a bilevel machine that can go higher than 20 cm.

What sleeping position are you using primarily? On your back a lot?

nowheels
Unread post  Post subject: Re: 1 week on cpap and don't feel any better  |  Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:28 am

So I had an in lab study but I was only able to sleep 1.5 hours so they confirmed severe apnea but never did titration. Doctor then had me do a home study to get more recording time and that study also showed severe apnea. Doctor ordered me an Airsense 10 and it is set to 5-20 but I bumped up min to 8. I sleep on my back and sometimes my side. My follow up with dr is February. Should I go back sooner?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: 1 week on cpap and don't feel any better  |  Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:47 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

I would call and ask to be put on a list to get in sooner than Feb if at all possible.

If you happen to sleep on your back a lot you might try sleeping on your side more to see if the pressure needs reduce any.

I know of people able to have significant reduction in pressure needs when side sleeping vs sleeping on their backs. I can't guarantee that you will need less but it's worth at least trying.
Now if you already primarily stay on your side...obviously won't help and I think you likely need one of the bilevel machines because it can go higher than 20 cm. Regular bilevel though...not one of the fancy specialty needs bilevel.
In the ResMed line...the AirCurve 10 VAuto...it's essentially the AutoSet with the ability to go to 25 and a couple of other features to make it a bit easier to go over 20 cm. It can auto adjust for the rare times you don't need as much pressure.

nowheels
Unread post  Post subject: Re: 1 week on cpap and don't feel any better  |  Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:20 pm

So I talked to my doctor and she is ordering a BiPAP titration study. She looked at my data and agreed that the machine seems to at or near max pressure.

nowheels
Unread post  Post subject: Re: 1 week on cpap and don't feel any better  |  Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:49 pm

posting the last 2 nights data in case you see anything else worth noting. hopefully i can get this sorted out soon it is a major drag on my life.

i do not remember waking up at all either of these nights here
Attachment:
sleep 2.png
sleep 2.png [ 206.76 KiB | Viewed 2494 times ]

Attachment:
sleep 3.png
sleep 3.png [ 215.97 KiB | Viewed 2494 times ]

JenStaton
Unread post  Post subject: Re: 1 week on cpap and don't feel any better  |  Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:48 pm

PAP Mask: Phillips Dreamwear Full Face
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10
Humidifier: Device comes with a HumdAir Integrated humidifier
Pressure Setting: NEW device - Currently set at AUTO between 10-20

I used my new CPAP machine for the 8th night last night. I was not sleeping well, and had severe dry mouth and nose. I should mention I use the Philips Respironics Dreamwear full face mask. I learned how to preheat the water in my tank, and I learned yesterday how to change the humidity in the hose.
I learned how to adjust the ramp up time and air pressure settings also. With those three very minor tweaks, I had just one event per hour of my breathing stopping, and I woke up feeling like I had the best sleep I had had in ages! I say this to encourage you. If you have a machine where you can tweak any of those things oh, it might make a huge difference for you as well. (Just GENTLE tweaks until you hit that 'sweet spot' combination.). I had to watch videos online to learn how to do these things on my specific machine. just search for whatever the specific machine is that you have and there should be some for yours as well. I hope this helps!