Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Beauty sleep question for the ladies
FAQ
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:16 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

WanderLit
Unread post  Post subject: Beauty sleep question for the ladies  |  Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:52 pm

PAP Mask: Seeking treatment
PAP Machine: Seeking treatment
Humidifier: Seeking treatment
Pressure Setting: Seeking treatment

In Jason’s video about cleaning your CPAP mask, he mentions how a dirty mask can result in skin problems. He also mentions the importance of using a mild soap to wash CPAP accessories. Like many women, I follow a nightly beauty routine before bed that includes washing my face and applying a moisturizing anti-wrinkle lotion.
Is there a problem with exposing the mask to possible facial cleansers, creams, or lotions on my skin? If it makes a difference, I use cold cream, witch hazel, and RoC night serum before bed. Would you recommend that I make a change to my beauty regime to protect my mask?

Thanks for your advice,

― Suzy Kassem, Rise Up and Salute the Sun[/i]

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Beauty sleep question for the ladies  |  Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:09 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Depending on the mask used your nightly creams and lotions could either affect the seal or cause a build up on the silicone and require more washing.

So it really depends on which mask you end up using and your routine and when you do it.

I use a nasal pillow mask so nothing in my routine ever really gets on the nasal pillows enough to worry about.
Now if I used a full face mask where there was a lot of silicone touching my face then I might alter my routine a bit (do it earlier in the night maybe and give the lotion a chance to get absorbed into the skin).

The biggest negative for lotions and creams is that they can affect the sealing ability of the mask during the night.
In terms of potential harm to the silicone...not really much if a person washes the mask off the next morning....or even uses something like a baby wipe to remove the bulk of any remaining skin oils or lotions.

Or do like I do...use a mask that has minimal skin contact and not have to change my routine at all or worry about special cleaning.

WanderLit
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Beauty sleep question for the ladies  |  Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:50 pm

Thanks Pugsy,
I didn't even thing about the seal. I have a list of masks I want to try and there isn't a single nasal pillow mask on it! I didn't think I would like it but suddenly it seems MUCH more appealing.

If that doesn't work for me, I guess it wouldn't be a big deal to do my evening ablutions before my reading time instead of after. That would give my lotion time to absorb completely before I lay down to sleep.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Beauty sleep question for the ladies  |  Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:14 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

If nasal pillow isn't your cup of tea there are some other nasal masks that have minimal skin contact that you could probably get by with your usual beauty routine.

Take a look at the DreamWear original under the nose cushion...plus if you want to try nasal pillows the gel pillow thing will fit on the same headgear.
Respironics DreamWear...2 models...under the nose cushion and the gel pillows.

For a traditional nasal cushion...look at the ResMed Swift FX Nano...minimal skin contact around the nose. The impact of lotions and creams would be minimal.

It's mainly the full face masks where there's a lot of real estate touching the skin that will be the most problematic with lotions and creams still on the skin.

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Beauty sleep question for the ladies  |  Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:06 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

Totally agree with the Dreamwear choice. You'd completely avoid having to change anything in your routine.

If you went with a more "traditional" nasal mask I may choose something other than the Swift FX Nano (a top 2 favorite mask of mine...so this is saying something!)

The Pico has a very small footprint and is a pretty good mask in my opinion.

All said, I'd go with the Dreamwear for your particular situation and needs.

This message was approved by my wife since you did ask "the ladies." :lol:

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

WanderLit
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Beauty sleep question for the ladies  |  Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:33 am

Thank you! I watched your review of the DreamWear cushion mask and it's my #1 option to try.

By the way, thank you for this forum and your library of delightful videos. You've given me something to do between now and my intake appointment other than twiddle my thumbs and wait for the worst.

I'm not exactly looking forward to CPAP, but you all have convinced me that it might not be that awful.

Thanks,
~A

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Beauty sleep question for the ladies  |  Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:34 am

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

I didn't think I would be able to tolerate a nasal pillow mask, but I absolutely love my P10. I was going to wait until next year to try it, but decided to treat myself to an early birthday present and ordered it in late September. I have worn it and ONLY it since October 6, which if you've read any of my earlier posts you'll know how I love to switch things up. I never thought I would be happy with just one mask. I am still waiting for the night that I can't stand it any longer and need something different on my head. I think because the straps can be placed differently I don't get the pressure points I normally would with any other headgear. I mean I have around 6 pairs of glasses that I switch between, I like variety.

Anyway, my point, yes I had a point, is to not discount any style of mask. Try them all at your sleep study if you want. And even if you find a FFM works best for you in the beginning, keep your options open, things change. Once you are no longer gasping for air you may find that your mouth stays closed all on its own and you may want to experiment with a smaller mask. Or you may want to start with the smaller mask in the first place and get frustrated with the struggle to keep your mouth closed and find that a FFM is just so much easier and you sleep just fine with it. Who knows? Definitely not them, not us, and not you, not yet.