Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Brand new user/Dreamwear
FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:19 pm

Click this Affiliate Link to Support FreeCPAPAdvice when buying from Amazon. Easiest way to support us!

Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

celestemcc
Unread post  Post subject: Brand new user/Dreamwear  |  Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:11 pm

PAP Mask: Dreamwear Nasal
PAP Machine: Dreamstation APAP
Humidifier: Attached to Dreamstation
Pressure Setting: 6 - 15

Hi, I just started using CPAP, and frustrated already. Trying to keep a good attitude, though! I posted this in the CPAP/Mask discussion as well, so if that's not ok, I'll be glad to remove my post from there (or here).

I'm newly diagnosed with mild-to-moderate OAS. I'm using a Dreamwear Nasal mask with Dreamwear APAP. I'm really committed to getting used to it, but I'm having difficulties with it. Maybe it's because I'm new? I'm using this mask with the Dream Station APAP. I started on Dec. 10th.

I didn't get lots of help from my provider and Lefty's online tips were helpful, but I feel like I've got a long way to go.

I know it may seem a kinda dumb question but: how is this mask supposed to feel? Should I feel the air rush in, then resistance going out?

Right now I'm playing Goldilocks and trying to find a "just right" combo of mask frame size (small or medium) and nose cushion size (small or medium). I'm a small-ish woman who's on the cusp for both frame and nose cushion sizes. When I first started using the mask I had a really tough time getting air *in*, but one thing I did notice, once I finally fell asleep was that in the morning, I didn't have my typical pre-CPAP morning headaches. Yay!

But It seems that the last two nights, where my stats (on Dream Mapper) were the very best for this past near-month, I woke up with: bad headaches! And those two nights were the first two nights that I felt I could breathe easily, and that the frame and cushion stayed in place.

I have increased humidity to 3 and heat to 2. My minimum pressure is 6, max 15.

The mask itself is very, very comfortable (once I get it right) but getting it to settle into place is frustrating. Any advice, anyone? I'd be so grateful!

Thanks,

Scout

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Brand new user/Dreamwear  |  Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:47 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

I have a video on how CPAP feels for most people. In general, yes. Easy to breathe in, and some resistance when exhaling. The important thing is to not fight against this exhalation pressure. A feeling like the air is just leaking out of your lungs barely is okay. I promise you that you are exhaling more than you think when doing this.

celestemcc wrote:
I woke up with: bad headaches! And those two nights were the first two nights that I felt I could breathe easily, and that the frame and cushion stayed in place.
Waking with headaches is a sign of a problem. Headache with dry mouth is a mouth leak. Headache with no dry mouth can be from a mouth leak but can also be from an inappropriate pressure setting.

Dreammapper is completely worthless. Try using SleepyHead instead as you'll get much more detailed information where we can nail down exactly what the problem and solutions may be.

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

celestemcc
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Brand new user/Dreamwear  |  Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:33 pm

Thanks, I'll try Sleepyhead. Ironically, last night I got a very good night's sleep with a reasonable AHI but 3% of the time in leakage! So I too am starting to think Dreammapper is pointless. Back to instructions on my machine for getting out the card...

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Brand new user/Dreamwear  |  Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:34 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

I don't even bat an eyelash for a 3 % large leak if I sleep through it.

celestemcc
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Brand new user/Dreamwear  |  Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:27 am

That is actually very helpful, Pugsy, thanks!

celestemcc
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Brand new user/Dreamwear  |  Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:17 pm

Another question: does Dreamwear nasal cradle feel different than other masks? I do feel air coming in, but not a big rush, and very little resistance on exhale. I'm on APAP.

For what it's worth... I've got Sleepyhead, now just have to get a card reader.

Meanwhile got my DME to send someone to me to fit me today for different masks. So I'll also try Dreamwear's gel pillow and the Wisp. Couldn't get over how different each one felt. Also this person insisted I call my Dr. in a few weeks if AHI hasn't improved.

Going to order my card reader now.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Brand new user/Dreamwear  |  Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:22 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

There's no 'big rush' of air in any mask (that's not leaking a lot).

most masks vent around the same amount at a given pressure.

celestemcc
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Brand new user/Dreamwear  |  Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:22 pm

Thanks, also very helpful!

celestemcc
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Brand new user/Dreamwear  |  Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:23 am

Okay... last question for now, I hope. Getting more comfortable with my Dreamwear. AHI is another matter, but will be getting my SD card reader today, I hope, to use Sleepyhead.

Mask fits and feels fine now. I typically wake up ca 3:00 am to use the bathroom (have always done so, CPAP or no), disconnect hose and leave the mask on. When I return to bed and plug in, the mask no longer seems to seal no matter what I do. Thoughts?