Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Help with Leak Rate as shown on Sleepyhead data
FAQ
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:43 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

heartwood
Unread post  Post subject: Help with Leak Rate as shown on Sleepyhead data  |  Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:19 am

PAP Mask: Respironics Full Face Dreamwear
PAP Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV
Humidifier: integrated humidifier with heat
Pressure Setting: EPAP 6, Min. PS 5, Max. 15PS ASV Mode

Attachment:
Friday night.png
Friday night.png [ 63.86 KiB | Viewed 393 times ]

This mask leak rate from Friday the 11th is when I was not wearing a Silent Night Mask liner. I had a restless night but I am certain it was not due to the mask leaks. My AHI was 0. I am using an AVS machine which is a loner from my sleep center. The times are wrong because they did not reset them.
Attachment:
Saturday night.png
Saturday night.png [ 96.08 KiB | Viewed 393 times ]

This is from Saturday night the 12th when I wore a Silent Night Mask liner. I sleep soundly only getting up once to go to the bathroom. My AHI was 0.
Is my mask leaking too much, or is it OK if it doesn't wake me and I have 0 events?

On Sleepyhead CPAP statistics there are 3 things - "Average Leak Rate"' "90% Leak Rate"' and "% of time above Leak Rate threshold. What do these mean?

Thanks for any input you may have.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help with Leak Rate as shown on Sleepyhead data  |  Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:40 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

If I slept through that large leak...I would be a happy camper.
It's not bad enough that the machine can't do its job.

Statistics section...I am assuming the machine you are using is a ResMed brand machine from the leak numbers I see.
ResMed machines report only excess leak.

Average leaks is overall average excess leak.

90% just means at OR BELOW that leak for 90% of the night. It's a number that is easily skewed upwards by relatively brief times in large leak.
Doesn't mean a whole lot of anything really.

% of time above leak rate threshold....
assuming the ResMed machine....the red line threshold for large leak with ResMed machines is 24 L/min per ResMed...it's really an ultra conservative number. In real life the machine can still do a fairly decent job up to around the 40 L/min large leak.
The % of time number is just how much time you spent over 24 L/min out of the entire night.
ResMed will still give you a happy smiley face until that number is 30% or more of the night being over 24 L/min.

From the looks of your night with the mask liner and the little bit of large leak...I suspect you ddin't even come close to 30%. Even if you had...you didn't go really deep into large leak territory (like 80 L/min) and you slept well....so I don't know that I would do anything more than shrug my shoulders and move on.

Good sleep quality is just (if not more) important than leak graphs.
If you don't sleep so good...doesn't really matter how good the numbers might be...when you don't feel those good numbers.

When I evaluate leaks for myself...
I look first at how deep into large leak territory I went...anything under 35 L/min I look no further.
Anything over 35 L/min I then look at how long I was over 35 and just how far above 35 did I go.
5 (or 10 or 15 or even 30) minutes at 45 L/min...I look no further as long as I slept through it.
2 hours at 45 or 60 L/min...I sit back and re-evaluate things.

Now any leak that wakes us up...no matter how big or how small...needs to be dealt with but more from the fact it is waking us up than overall impact on the therapy itself.

heartwood
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help with Leak Rate as shown on Sleepyhead data  |  Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:21 am

PAP Mask: Respironics Full Face Dreamwear
PAP Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV
Humidifier: integrated humidifier with heat
Pressure Setting: EPAP 6, Min. PS 5, Max. 15PS ASV Mode

Pugsy,

Thank you so much for the detailed helpful information. I guess I will try the liner again tonight and see how it works and then on Monday I will try it without the liner so I can decide which way I want to go.