Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Starting ASV - Headaches and Blasts of Air
FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:31 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

SoJo Sack
Unread post  Post subject: Starting ASV - Headaches and Blasts of Air  |  Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:07 am

Hi All,

I’m new to this world. I was diagnosed with Severe Mixed Sleep Apnea 10 days ago and started my ASV Treatment five days ago. Generally, I think I have gotten higher quality sleep since starting, but I have woken up and felt very “spacey” every morning and with a headache that feels like their is air pressure between my brain and my skull. The “spacey” feeling tends to lift after a couple of hours, but the headache seems to persist through the day.

Also, with the ramp mode on my AirCurve 10 ASVAuto, I don’t really have an issue falling asleep, but as soon as the blasts of air start firing, it wakes me up and I have a hard time getting back to sleep.

So, a few questions:

1. Has anyone else experienced a “spacey” or “foggy” feeling in the morning after treatment? Does this feeling go away as I get used to therapy?

2. Are new on-set headaches typical when starting ASV Therapy? Do the headaches go away as I get used to therapy?

3. I understand how and why ASV works the way it does, but is it normal to be awoken by the “blasts” of air?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Starting ASV - Headaches and Blasts of Air  |  Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:19 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Yes, normal at first for people to find that when the machine increases the pressure quite quickly and fairly high to find that it wakes them up.
It's a fairly big change and rapid. The machine is of course responding to your centrals and essentially breathing for you.

Eventually people adjust to the change and learn to sleep through it.
Takes some time though.

The headaches...not common unless maybe related to the straps being too tight from whatever mask you are using.
Suggest you talk to your doctor about them.

Can't comment on the foggy thing. Never had it.

SoJo Sack
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Starting ASV - Headaches and Blasts of Air  |  Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:37 pm

Thanks for the reply. Assumed its a matter of adjusting to the therapy...guess I'm just impatient...

robneedsleep
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Starting ASV - Headaches and Blasts of Air  |  Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:35 am

PAP Mask: DreamWear Full Face
PAP Machine: AirSense 10 AutoSet
Humidifier: Level 6, 29 degree
Pressure Setting: Min 7.6 -Max 10 range

Hi SoJo Sack, was wondering if you got over your morning headache

I have the same situation right now, i seem to feel more refresh above 10cm, but at the same time, I'm expereince tension headache in the morning.

Vice versa, if my pressure is below 10, which isn't as effective, the headache isn't as bad. i've only been using my CPAP for 2 months. Wondering, if your monring headache has improved?