Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Setting the humidifier, Automatic or Manual 1-10
FAQ
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:04 pm

Click this Affiliate Link to Support FreeCPAPAdvice when buying from Amazon. Easiest way to support us!

Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

armadillo
Unread post  Post subject: Setting the humidifier, Automatic or Manual 1-10  |  Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:03 am

I'm about week 2 with my RES MED Cpap and I'm having mixed successes with getting good sleep. I have the Humidifier settings set to Auto and was wondering about setting it to Manual, 1-10 since my mouth and throat are getting so dry. I also have Congestive Heart Failure and have to really be careful with adding any fluids (holding fluid intake to 45 ounces per day) I was going to change to Manual Humidifier setting 6 or 7 but before I do I was wondering about the humidifier sending too much moisture to my lungs. Anyone have any experience or knowledge about that?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Setting the humidifier, Automatic or Manual 1-10  |  Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:35 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Which mask are you using?

Are you mouth breathing any? That will dry out the mouth and throat even without cpap being used. Some people just get a dry mouth from a little mouth breathing or even medication side effects can make it worse.
Even people using maximum humidity with a full face mask can complain of dry mouth. The humidifier simply can't alwasys crank out enough moisture to hydrate the oral cavity well...it's a lot bigger than the nasal cavity.

The humidity is mainly for comfort in the nasal mucosa area.
The amount that actually makes it to the lungs is really not all that much and is unlikely to be a factor in your CHF and fluid restrictions.
Auto setting gives the equivalent of about a 4 or 5 if you were on manual.
Going to 6 or 7..might make a 5% difference and increase.

armadillo
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Setting the humidifier, Automatic or Manual 1-10  |  Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:28 pm

Thank you So very much for your answer! Yes, I am wearing a full face mask. I have switched from Auto to Manual 4 and then 5. Again, thank you very much for your answer!

TheDuke
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Setting the humidifier, Automatic or Manual 1-10  |  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:50 pm

I use a DeVilbiss machine that only has a 1-10 manual humidity setting and I have found 6 to be quite comfortable. Of course humidity is a personal matter and some people want or need higher levels, and many people don't use any added humidity.

TheDuke

Demmom
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Setting the humidifier, Automatic or Manual 1-10  |  Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:37 am

PAP Mask: Resmed F20 Air Touch FFM with travel pillow
PAP Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: Built in
Pressure Setting: 10 20

I get dry mouth because my chin drops when I sleep. The best solution I have found is a travel pillow with a snap on to keep it secure. I put the pillow on and snap it then I rotate it 180 degrees to have the thickest part of the pillow under my chin. Keeps my mouth closed and sometimes I get a small amount of dry mouth when my humidifier goes dry and it wakes me up.